Video Game-based TV Programs

Bretimus_v2

So tired.
My friend just got cable a couple days ago and he was surprised that G4 was part of his channel package. After looking over their programming and watching a couple episodes of X-Play and Attack of the Show, he made the comment that these shows may be one of the reasons that videogames will keep a wall up between gamers and non-gamers. Obviously, videogames have captured the adolescent to young adult male demographic. And console companies are currently seeking to broaden than into the female and adult demographic. But do programs that are immature and laden with young male humor drive away or give a bad rep to video games. Let's face it, portrayal of video games in TV shows is already not positive, usually showing out of shape young males with nowhere to go or violent teens hell-bent on destruction.

Personally, I don't have many worries about a cable channel that is innaccesible to most people.

So my question is does anyone watch G4 or Spike's video game-based programs? Do you find them enjoyable? Do you think that they could desuade other demographics from taking games seriously?

I personally think they all suck, but thats me.

A good video game show would be fluffy stuff like that, and tongue in cheek stuff like Codemonkeys was, we also need some other things, like maybe developer diaries or something, or maybe a highlight show that spots greats in the gaming world, kind of like inside the actors studio. Plus we need a better show that can review games and preview games than Attack of the Show and X-Play.

Even a Bill Maher esque show that has debates over notable people in the video game industry. That would be real interesting just to see Duke take on Adam Sessler or something over graphical qualities on a Wii, or violent video game controversy.

But I am a nerd who likes that stuff.

LinksOcarina said:
I personally think they all suck...
...we need a better show that can review games and preview games than Attack of the Show and X-Play.
I agree, they're commentary is not worth listening too. I only watch X-Play because Morgan Webb was hot, and AoTS because of Olivia Munn...and their "Epic Fail" vids always gives me a laugh.Personally, I don't watch G4 for game reviews and/or the commentary. Let's face it, they're not as "say it like it is" like the reviews GR has given us. Instead, I watch G4 for the Japanese gameshows "Ninja Warrior" and "The Unbeatable Banzuke."

I enjoy attack of the show for entertainment purposes. And for olivia munn, despite how annoying she is. I miss Layla Kaylee (sp?) :*(

I can't stand X-play. The only game/entertainment shows I enjoy are EP Weekly and Reviews on the Run. I like victor sulinski (sp?) and his new sidekick, they give a good idea of how games are, despite their ratings of the games being completely ridiculous. Victor can be negative 70% of the review about a game and still give it a 9.5 and ull be like wtff... but ignoring the ratings, i find it a decent program. Not even sure if those two are on G4 or not though. Havent had G4 for a while, only watch it occasionally when i spend a day or two at my parents.

I like X-Play and AOTS. I mean yeah, they're not perfect but after watching the shows for years I don't see how they could dissuade any demographic from playing, at the end of the day they're better than IGN

I'm just happy G4 finally became a regular cable channel so I didn't have to get the 400 other channels just to get it.

I highly enjoy both of these programs, though I do not consider Attack of the Show a video game program. It is a multimedia program, I guess you could say. There are more parts about internet clips, movies, and tech gadgets than about video games, in almost every episode.

X-Play I watch because I like hearing the opinions of as many people as possible about games in which I am interested in. There are no -wrong- opinions on video games. There is no such thing. I may or may not agree with them, but it is very interesting to listen to somebody explain why they do or do not like a game.

That's just me.

the_mighty_toast said:
X-Play I watch because I like hearing the opinions of as many people as possible about games in which I am interested in. There are no -wrong- opinions on video games. There is no such thing. I may or may not agree with them, but it is very interesting to listen to somebody explain why they do or do not like a game.

That's just me.

Well ... I'd like to see your expression if you watched someone say that games like The Survivor or Limbo of the Lost are great games. :roll:

Well ... I'd like to see your expression if you watched someone say that games like The Survivor or Limbo of the Lost are great games. :roll:

If one of my friends or somebody on the street were telling me those were great games, I would ask why, and yes I would be VERY interested in what made them come to that conclusion. Wouldn't you? I mean..there must be SOMETHING to make them say that. It would be worth a good laugh if nothing else.

As for that show, if there was NO entertainment value, and they continuously gave biased reviews that did not give any reliable information, then I would not watch the show. But they don't. :roll:

Sonic was the tits.

Although I remember watching it and hoping Sonic would get with the girl in the programme, I forget who...she was brown though.

G4

G4 is ok if u like game shows me i wather watch spike in stead i'll watch G4 if theres none thing else to watch....spike some times have computer bace shows like the most deadliest warrior & others

Nooo, it wasnt Tails! She was a fox, I think it was Fiona Fox:

0.jpg

By the way, I found this. It's not funny, but will make you go...Ha:

sonic_peach.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod