TV resolution and gaming question...

drathbone

Regular
I realized my roommates 720p 32" TV looks better than my 46" 1080p playing games. Is this a matter of quality of TV or the same concept as SNES games looking better on an old tube TV than they do on HDTVs (IE 480 game made for 480 tv looks fine vs being stretched to 1080 tv) - since most games are made 720 and upconverted by an HDMI cable.

If that makes any sense. Thinking of downgrading my TV just to have my games look as smooth as my roommates.Thoughts?

This is usually only an issue on the 360 because the PS3 is the only console that displays true 1080p. You will notice a difference between the 2. The original Xbox 360 didn't even have an HDMI port and was never intented for true 1080p display. You could try just changing the console resolution to 720p, not sure if that works. I wouldn't downgrade though. Just keep the one you have and maybe buy a 720p display because the next-generation of consoles will all be true 1080p for sure.

It could be a difference in refresh rates &/or an LCD vs. Plasma thing. If I knew the full specs of both TVs I could give you a better idea, but I doubt it's simply a size/resolution issue.

Could be a ton of things, from the displays being different tech (plasma vs LCD) to them being different quality.

In general, though, smaller displays look better (ppi) and because the 360 and PS3 both upconvert games, on the 1080p TV the image is being stretched while on the 720 it's running native or closer to it (some 360 games run a pathetic 1024x576 - stretch that to 1920x1080 and you get all sorts of ugly).
Don't bother changing your TV - the current gen of consoles has lasted about 2 years longer than it should have. Just wait for the next generation of consoles or buy a $500 PC and play all the 360 ports at a proper 1920x1080 and enjoy the superior graphics and nude mods.

madster111 said:
Could be a ton of things, from the displays being different tech (plasma vs LCD) to them being different quality.

In general, though, smaller displays look better (ppi) and because the 360 and PS3 both upconvert games, on the 1080p TV the image is being stretched while on the 720 it's running native or closer to it (some 360 games run a pathetic 1024x576 - stretch that to 1920x1080 and you get all sorts of ugly).
Don't bother changing your TV - the current gen of consoles has lasted about 2 years longer than it should have. Just wait for the next generation of consoles or buy a $500 PC and play all the 360 ports at a proper 1920x1080 and enjoy the superior graphics and nude mods.

The PS3 actually doesn't upscale. It is the only console that displays true 1080p. I have both 360 and PS3 hooked up to my plasma and I notice the PS3 looks consistently sharper and more clear.

It definitely doesn't for most games on the ps3 or xbox360 for that matter. A lot of them are only upscaled.

^ is what I thought because typically games are made in 720p, thus making me think that my roommates TV is sharper since it's the native resolution and not upscaled.

At least you have a big screen, I have a 21.5" 1080p monitor :/ AND I use it as the main screen in the living room.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod