Tomb Raider

Haha that was great, but now I'm stuck watching his other reviews. I had no idea he was doing stuff like this. I only remember the masturbating bear.

I got my hands on Tomb Raider last night for PS3. Once again, some genius has broken the release date here in Australia and we've got Tomb Raider a little earlier than expected (it was supposed to be out next week on the 5th).

This game is awesome. I'm loving it so far. It reminds me a lot of the Uncharted games in both game play and content (which isn't surprising since... Uncharted reminded me of Tomb Raider in a sense) except a lot more violent. It's a very dark game.

Some of Lara's deaths are very, very graphic! Reminds me of Resident Evil 4 and the many death's of Leon S. Kennedy. :p

I'm gonna guess you're gonna be writing the review, danielrbischoff, but can I ask for your thoughts of the game?

[Edit] - Nice. :D

I won't say much but personally I really liked it, it was a lot of fun. There were a few small gripes. I'll write a user review once the official GR review is up and we can do our own.

I agree.

I liked the graphics and the animation. I absolutely adored the soundtrack, especially in some of the set pieces (which most of the set pieces were great). The overall presentation was great. Some of the voice acting wasn't that good and I didn't like some of the characters, but the new, rebooted Lara Croft is awesome.

The actual game play I thought was very fun. The cover system feels very fluid and more natural compared to other third person shooter/cover based games. The melee combat, dodging and stuff, I enjoyed that.

The weapons were fun, especially how you could upgrade them. The bow is also great fun.

The platforming was good, I didn't have any real issues there and I agree, the hidden tombs were good.

I won't say anything to spoil but I had a few minor gripes with the storyline at times. That's honestly probably my biggest issue in the game.

One criticism I have is... it's like, the developers and writers explained before the game's release how the storyline focuses on the emotional trauma of taking a life, and how Lara Croft has to do that in order to survive, and they really wanted to make an impact on her first kill... but then the game encourages and rewards you to brutally take out your enemies, especially with later acquired skills.

Don't get me wrong. Fun game. Just kinda silly. :p

TresFX doesn't seem to be implemented well. Hair doesn't react as if wet when swimming in water.

Doesnt even correctly fall on shoulders or back
trtfxbugflaw.jpg

I do enjoy having more physics in games. Im only pointing out the flaws to show that its not perfected just yet.

Now that I have been playing it for awhile Im not happy with TressFx. Currently(And I am running nvidia mind you) The hair spazzes out when she turns her head and the shadowing from it can get all freaky stroby. Let alone the fact that the hair doesn't correctly fall on her shoulders or back, It hovers like shes got some kind of force field.

Also its only her hair. So the scenes with her shipmates look really off when they have static hair. It also looks ridiculous how bloody and grimy and wet laura is yet she has perfect hair like she just got out of the shower. While I love physics in a game this actually breaks the immersion a bit.

I ended up turning it off. Her normal hair looks more in context. I really hope in the future more games use physics for cloth and hair just in better implementations(The clothes in Arkhum City with physx were great)

THE GOOD NEWS. The game is well optimized and has a excellent art direction. The moss growing on the trees really stuck out to me.
Its dx11, has SSAmbien Occlusion and tessellation. Im running ultra settings 1080p with fxaa(The Fxaa in this game is implemented perfectly)

100fps with tressfx
120fps without.

*Thumbs up* to the devs and the engine.

I love how Lara Croft has changed with the times in terms of hotness.

Fro example, in the 90's we were all about giant balloon titties (don't ask me why). And Lara had those gigantic hooters that turned many innocent gamers into perves over night.

But now we're out of that giant fake boob craze and we're back to appreciating hotness in women who aren't artifical... well, ok she's a video game character... but you know what I mean! ...RIGHT?

I am playing this for review, and so far i'm fairly impressed. But I have yet to see the emotional journey she goes on. So far its mostly 90's thriller cliches mixed in with a dash of indiana jones and uncharted.

We shall see I guess as we go on, good action/platforming, but everything else is kind of subpar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod