To boldly go where no telescope has gone before.

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by Wes, Sep 8, 2011.

1. tinymhg

tinymhg Rookie

It really doesn’t break my heart to see the Space Truck (Shuttle) program bite the dust. The space race was a race to the moon and at the time manned space fight was romanticized and astronauts were heroes, robotics had not advanced enough to be a viable substitute for humans. Today everything that the Space Shuttle did can be done by remotely controlled or robotically controlled ships. Right now there are men in orbit around earth aboard the international space station and there probably will be for years to come. Outside of the scientific community much of modern space exploration is met with little or no enthusiasm, and it surprises me that this topic has seen as many postings as it has. I would love to see a new space race to Mars, maybe against China, but a manned mission to Mars is going to take along time to happen, which was my point.

2. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

We have in fact found a short list of bodies that are comparable to the mass of the Earth. This is what I mean by "Earth-like". Exhibit A: Gliese 581c.

Also, for everyone who doesn't believe space exploration is worth it. I present to you, Carl Sagan.

3. NickKmet

NickKmet Regular

If you notice, it says 5.6 times the mass of the earth. That's a pretty large planet. I was referring to the fact that we can't yet or haven't been able to detect objects that are about the size of the earth. Yes, 5.6 times isn't exactly that much larger in the grand scheme of things, but we still can't get anything much less than that.

At least that's how I understand it. Actually finding planets the size of the earth or smaller is still impossible. That's what I meant from my statement.

4. Wes

Wes Rookie

Somebody didn't watch the video... :p

5. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

Gotcha Nick.

6. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

i wish.

honestly EVERYONE who is interested in this thread, go out and buy, and read 1 page of Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku, I say 1 page because i know if you read 1 page you won't be able to stop until you're done, except to take breaks to text friends and tell family mind blowing facts you read along the way.

go, NOW

the gliese planets are like 20 light years away.. a stones throw in the grand scheme of things. and we've found a number of planets similar to earth just at that extremely close distance

7. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

8. tinymhg

tinymhg Rookie

Good links Rain. :D Mars by 2030.

9. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

10. tinymhg

tinymhg Rookie

They are calling it Tatooine, as homage to George Lucas’s 2 sun planet in Star Wars. I also hear he’s trying to figure out how to change it.

11. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

"It's believed that double-star systems outnumber single-star systems."

........Well that's a buzz kill...

12. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

That's awesome! I wonder how it orbits the stars? Does it go around both of them in a circle. Or does it go through the two suns, orbiting them like an infinity symbol? Either way it's pretty cool.