The Witcher 3

Longo_2_guns

Forum Moderator
Staff member
So, even though it's been known for a long time as something eventually coming, it's finally been confirmed.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is apparently going to be open world, with a world 30 times the size of the Witcher 2, and is gonna be using the new RED Engine they've been showing off. Also featured are prospects of horseback combat, a bunch of story stuff, and a lot more.

It's gonna be a little while before we get more details (meaning until the next Game Informer gets released and/or scanned and such), but so far what they do know can be found here. Also this.

Basically, it's big, it's bigger than the last, and it should be pretty damn good. It's gonna be on PC and all "top of the line consoles" (next-gen, perhaps?) so that's cool.

Also, Geralt has a beard now. Which is nice.

And if you'll excuse me, I need to change my wallpaper. And my pants.

It's good we're finally getting console hardware and storage space that lets good games be used on them. Finally don't have to worry about 'Coming on PC and consoles' meaning it'll be shit.

I disagree with Links but relate to his concern. By making it open world and more of a personal journey, I hope they don't sacrifice what made the Witcher 2 so great. Call me simple minded or old fashioned but when it comes to RPGS, while I love an open world setting I hate leaving so many quests up to chance (discovering them anyways). I also hope that the decisions you make still impact the story. I mean, it takes a lot of time and dedication to make an open world title and a lot of time and dedication to do what they did with The Witcher 2 and it's branching paths. Let's just hope something doesn't have to give.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, the Last Wish is basically just Geralt and Dandelion going around on unrelated adventures, but no matter what politics have always been a major theme in the Witcher.

Also, why the hell does everywhere say that the story involves "Geralt's long lost love, Triss Merrigold." Triss was never lost, nor was she ever really his "love." Those who know the Witcher know that his love life starts and is dominated by Yennefer.

Lethean said:
I disagree with Links but relate to his concern. By making it open world and more of a personal journey, I hope they don't sacrifice what made the Witcher 2 so great. Call me simple minded or old fashioned but when it comes to RPGS, while I love an open world setting I hate leaving so many quests up to chance (discovering them anyways). I also hope that the decisions you make still impact the story. I mean, it takes a lot of time and dedication to make an open world title and a lot of time and dedication to do what they did with The Witcher 2 and it's branching paths. Let's just hope something doesn't have to give.

I should point out its been attempted before. Fallout: New Vegas was heavily in a linear plot-line (although you can argue you can go anywhere still) and Borderlands 2 had it as well. I would also argue Fallout 3 had that as well, but people complained about it and changed that ending with Broken Steel.

That said, Borderlands 2 for me ran out of steam early, when I wanted to explore the world but instead felt like I was shackled because the plot took precedence, allowed new areas to open up out of nowhere, and honestly gave us little incentive to do much of anything else. New Vegas also had some issues where it was difficult to get things done unless you do them in order due to bug issues. Still, they were fair attempts and good games.

We will see, I am cautiously optimistic, but I don't think this is a good move for The Witcher as a series.

That line about the "lesser evil" came straight out of the books. Which is fine by me, because the books are fantastic.

And now I'm even more excited.

I got the first two games for 5 bucks during the last steam sale, so I'm gonna play through them both again.

Bretimus_v2 said:
LinksOcarina said:
that is one big city, for sure.

It's only a model.

Ah.

Anyone concerned about the "dynamic, tactical combat" yet?

I get a Assassin's Creed vibe that was never tactical, but fun because you can do so many different things in it. Not bad, considering that is one of the weaker aspects of the Witcher series so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod