The People Speak Week 9: Price Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a short on the supply and demand component-

While I do think there are probably supply and demand curves to derived, I feel like that probably would have to be on a case by case basis. That is, the elasticity of demand would fairly inelastic for games perceived as phenomenal, or at least marketed as such. Where as the market for relatively unknown games would be more elastic, meaning that price would be a major factor between buying it and not buying it. I think this is reflected in the price of games normally; titles that are highly desired generally sell for more (and in the case of collectors editions, a lot more because the supply is restricted and luxury goods tend to be inelastic). What this boils down to as far as pricing is a sort conundrum for quality. I don't have any conclusions, but I would be interested to see how many people buy based on reviews they read, versus advertisements they saw, versus fandom for an already developed franchise - why some games that are clearly well made sell horribly (Beyond Good and Evil, Viva Pinata), and some games that are made horribly sell pretty well.

In regards to piracy, here's my personal opinion-

It's very easy to pirate PC games and I believe it legitimately hurts companies. The games that tend to do well on PC are ones that require some sort of subscription that would make piracy out of the question. However, I do not believe it really hurts consoles, and in fact I think it would probably help hardware sales. For one, its not as simple as clicking download and applying a crack, so much fewer people do it. Secondly, it eliminates your ability to play online on the console, and there aren't really any work-arounds like on PC. It definitely hurts games that don't have strong online content, which is I'm sure part of the reason there has been such a surge in online game content. Ultimately, I feel game developers and console manufacturers should view piracy as inevitable and should use online exclusion to mitigate it. In regards to whether they should view it as a negative for their revenue, I would say, it depends. You can't say with certainty whether someone would or would not have bought the game had they not been able to pirate it. It should be, and I think has been, addressed by providing disincentives for people to pirate without making the price too high.

It's a big question, but I feel like games are appropriately priced - that said, I can't remember the last time I bought a new game. I always buy used because I have the patience to wait a year or two haha.

Right, there was a piece in an old PC gamer (around the time Modern Warfare 2 came out) that showed through inflation (deflation?) that a game that was 50 dollars in 1998 would be worth 40 now.

now, De-ting I have to disagree with you on the cost of a PC "rig." A decent PC can be built for under 500$ with another 200 for a monitor; 50 more if you for some reason never owned a mouse or keyboard, as these things are recyclable. That's under 800, starting at nothing. If we factor in the average cost of a PS3 +move bundle (400$) buying controllers (50 apiece), a decent HDTV, the price goes up. In my opinion the cost is about the same; consider that the 500$ PC will be more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox, which are technically outdated.

While I don't pirate and think that it is destroying the industry, I do understand why people do it. Unlike buying just about anything else in the market, it's incredibly hard to return a game; considering they're 60 dollars now, buying a bad game or something totally unsatisfying can be a massive bummer. Considering that all the call of duty campaigns combined (the 8th is coming out soon) have less gameplay hours than the Half-Life series....

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
now, De-ting I have to disagree with you on the cost of a PC "rig." A decent PC can be built for under 500$ with another 200 for a monitor; 50 more if you for some reason never owned a mouse or keyboard, as these things are recyclable. That's under 800, starting at nothing. If we factor in the average cost of a PS3 +move bundle (400$) buying controllers (50 apiece), a decent HDTV, the price goes up. In my opinion the cost is about the same; consider that the 500$ PC will be more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox, which are technically outdated.
Everybody gives me that, but have you actually built a good modern PC for under $500? Have you, "starting at nothing"? With at least 4 GB of RAM, a 3.0GHz processor, 1 GB VRAM, and DVD drive? If you have, please, give me your specs and where you bought everything. Because shopping for PC components is so freakin' annoying, which is where my point of "paying for convenience" comes from.

De-Ting said:
Everybody gives me that, but have you actually built a good modern PC for under $500? Have you, "starting at nothing"? With at least 4 GB of RAM, a 3.0GHz processor, 1 GB VRAM, and DVD drive? If you have, please, give me your specs and where you bought everything. Because shopping for PC components is so freakin' annoying, which is where my point of "paying for convenience" comes from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... mbo.606690
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130572

Well... it's not exactly 3.0GHz but 2.8GHz is close enough... right?

But you're right about the convenience thing. With consoles you just hook it up to the TV and you're done. If there's something wrong with it, you could just call Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo. With PCs, you have to do the whole troubleshooting thing yourself if something goes wrong but then again PC enthusiasts probably won't mind.

I think with the extra cost to maintain and update a computer, games shouldn't cost the same as they do on consoles; especially with the limited online communities of most popular games like Call of Duty in comparison to their console versions. A PC game should be $40, not $60 or more, because although it has greater graphics capabilities, easier controls, and modding capabilities not available on consoles, it still costs hundreds of dollars more to maintain a single computer for five years than it does to just buy one console and never worry about upgrading. I built my current computer about 15 months ago and already I've upgraded the RAM, power supply, and video card, an extra ~$450 investment, just to stay current. With the same amount of money I could have purchased myself a PS3 and a couple games, and still had money left over. I know by this time next year I will have gotten more upgrades, and eventually it will definitely start adding up. The fact that multiplatform developers know this and continue to raise prices on their PC games, to me, is preposterous.

@De-ting To be honest i haven't changed my Graphics card in 3 years; I can still run all games on max settings on a 24 inch monitor at the best resolution. because of the rise of multi-platforming...crap, games are made for the Xbox 360/PS3 first, then ported to PC. That is why there has been no "real" advancement in graphics in the past three years, yes Crysis looks great, but I have a feeling it's skimping on something, specially in the brains department if the original is anything to look at.

The only game I feel was worth my money, and was sold at cheaper price was STALKER: Call of Pripyat, which I feel was an example of how a publisher can be great. because the previous game, Clear Sky, was a mess, they made (through steam) CoP a cheaper (10 dollars off a 30 dollar game) for owners of Clear Sky, which was eventually fixed through continued support and a strong modding community, despite the developers being Eastern European, presenting a obvious language barrier. That series is still the only game to ever "tax" my computer seriously, with it's full support of DX11 and all the crazy weather effects.

I mean, you can get this all for 20 to 30 bucks, which is half/3rd of the price of a console game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1lDskma6V0

keepithowitis said:
I think with the extra cost to maintain and update a computer, games shouldn't cost the same as they do on consoles;

PC games are actually cheaper than their console counterparts. I mean look at the price for Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the PC then look at how much the console version cost at Gamestop's site. The PC version is actually $10 cheaper. It's pretty much the same for all the games that were released for the PC, PS3, and XBox on all the retail sites that has brick and mortar stores. It might be an online thing but it might also has something to do with publishers not having to pay for licensing fees on the consoles.

I don't know about upgrading every year to maintain a PC though, but then again I'm actually the type of guy who played Fallout 3 with 30+ mods on his 1.5Ghz single core computer without complaining.

There is a plethora of PC games you can play with relatively low specs, but if you want to play all the games that are also on consoles, you have to have the expensive stuff. Again, which is why they should always be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod