The Mega Half-Billion!

So, anyone caught lottery fever yet?

With $540 billion at stake, whats a few bucks down the drain?

I've put in at work, and I'll buy a few tomorrow. But I haven't gone out and spent $80 on tickets like someone else I know.

20091229.gif

I know the odds, have never played before in my life but I dropped $20 bucks on it.

Not expecting to win anything, but it is nice to play. Just to say we have our chances like everyone else.

Alaska doesn't have much gambling. Only bingo and pull-tabs. And the occasional lottery I guess. All of that stuff has to give most of the pot to non-profits though.

The coolest thing we have is the Nenana Ice Classic, which is going on right now. It's almost a 100 year tradition. A big tripod is set up in the middle of a river and bets are placed on the exact date and time that the tripod breaks away from it's mooring (river thaws). A bunch of money is raised for charity.

ice.jpg

used44 said:
The coolest thing we have is the Nenana Ice Classic, which is going on right now. It's almost a 100 year tradition. A big tripod is set up in the middle of a river and bets are placed on the exact date and time that the tripod breaks away from it's mooring (river thaws). A bunch of money is raised for charity.

ice.jpg

So....that is what is considered cool in Alaska? I see.

Here's what I dont get...if a person has a bucketload of money, why not just buy $174 million worth of lottery tickets and guarantee a win? Or is that unlikely? I suppose the other risk is having multiple winners and needing to share the jackpot, though dont some states guarantee a no-share win if the jackpot is hit?

Mod-Chip said:
Here's what I dont get...if a person has a bucketload of money, why not just buy $174 million worth of lottery tickets and guarantee a win? Or is that unlikely? I suppose the other risk is having multiple winners and needing to share the jackpot, though dont some states guarantee a no-share win if the jackpot is hit?

Well, while that is extremely time consuming and risky, theoretically it would work since there are 176 million combinations.

Put do the math this way, if you bought 10 tickets every second, it would take 202 days to get all the combinations you need. In addition, it prints a max of 10 lines per slip, so that is 17.6 million pieces of paper you need to keep and organize.

That being said, it would net anywhere from 100 million to 230 million profit after taxes and the payout type are added in depending on the state. This assumes you are the only winner, just one other person wins and you are screwed and risk having almost no profit at all, or even losing money.

Mod-Chip said:
Were you listening to NPR today too? :)

Mod-Chip said:

Its probably impossible unless your hired hundreds of people to buy and organize tickets for you. Probably thousands of people to have enough time. And there are still a ton of other people out therr with tickets so if someone else wins too youre out money. Pretty risky and silly imo.

KurtCobain94 said:
Mod-Chip said:

Well, while that is extremely time consuming and risky, theoretically it would work since there are 176 million combinations.

Put do the math this way, if you bought 10 tickets every second, it would take 202 days to get all the combinations you need. In addition, it prints a max of 10 lines per slip, so that is 17.6 million pieces of paper you need to keep and organize.

That being said, it would net anywhere from 100 million to 230 million profit after taxes and the payout type are added in depending on the state. This assumes you are the only winner, just one other person wins and you are screwed and risk having almost no profit at all, or even losing money.

WET BLANKET!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod