The f*** is up with all the hate?

UrbanMasque said:
My pending comment has been brought to you by:

stretch marks on your screen

Thats right, protect your corporate overlords.
PF8iOAP.gif

WickedLiquid said:
Again, nobody will ever top this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1eASVTRdo

The sad thing is this is all we had to go on in the 90's, TV and magazines. Just how big of a douche are you when you make another video shutting down the opinions of others where they disagree?

So many videos do that though. Its why entertainers are kind of dangerous because of the lack of restraints and constant anger perpetuating their feelings that make the gaming community somewhat vile no?

There are almost too many ways to take this notion since gaming has entered and been accepted by mainstream culture. For one, gaming (especially AAA fare) is less about one person's creative vision than a committee tweaking it toward one end or another. Not two weeks ago Nick_Tan brought this up: videogame writers have it hard, their story is ripped apart and stitched back together. Focus is generally redirected to setpiece cinematic moments that literally take us out of the immersion of the game so we can all appreciate the same spectacle. It turns gaming into a strangely homogenous experience that fails to create high points of story or immersion on purpose. I've heard more great stories bandied about regarding unique Dark Souls moments than I've had with almost any other game this generation combined.

This is to say nothing off games blurring genres to fit what is popular: Dead Space filled the niche of horror-survival action that Resident Evil 4 filled before it, but now both series have mutated into more straightforward shooter roles, whereas Metal Gear Rising (while fun) takes the 'tactical-espionage' out of tactical-espionage action. Yet if it isn't genre saturation, the spectre of gimmicks are added on; how many games tacked on Horde mode after Gears or War did it so well? If you don't like these homogenous experiences or are over-saturated by them, yeah, you are rightfully jaded and dismissive.

[Breaking posts in two. Tl;Dr, game design by committee is bland, and older gamers are jaded. Genres like stealth, horror, and adventure fall by the wayside, and our experiences are the poorer for it.]

Now for the other largest element of things: as gamers get older and more wise/cynical and vote with their wallets, there is always another generation of wallets opening up. Personally, Pokemon had nothing to offer me past Blue/Red, since it seemed like more of the same. Nintendo thus does not care about my input on future Pokemon titles regardless of how much I complain. Again, last week Johnathan_Leack touched on this regarding EA essentially saying gamers were all talk. If this image is any indication, we are:
1625794-mw2lol.jpg

I'm glossing over quite a bit here for sake of brevity and avoiding walls of text. There will always be trolls that write off games like Bioshock: Infinite or Spec Ops: The Line and there will be folks with legitimate reasons to dislike them, but such games give me hope for even better games in the future. Sincere hope kills cynicism, and I say this as someone who almost forgave EA for their past sins. When EA released Dead Space, Dragon Age: Origins, and Mass Effect, I had high hopes that they had seen the light and were creating new IPs that would usher in a new age of quality gaming. My mouth was slack with awe just long enough for EA to pack it full of crap and leave a bad taste in my mouth just like before.
Victims-of-EA1.jpg

And IMO, that is the prevailing negative tone: the gaming community is full of these bad tastes and no matter how loudly we complain, we are either in the wrong demograpic, weak willed, or our audience doesn't know they're being served a polished turd. Personally, I hope Sony leading the charge with indie developers while EA and others have to trim down leads to some truly great games, I'm playing Guacameele right now and reminiscing about Metroid games of yesteryear, and that makes me optimistic.
[Tl;Dr, devs are not necessarily listening to us, and maybe nobody but other angry folks are. Voting with our wallets helps, but also takes us out of being the target demographic, which leads to a vicious circle. Responsive devs with good games are the best thing, since we'd be too busy playing to bitch.]

The internet has the ability to bring out the worst in us all. Cynicism is just something you have to take with a grain of salt these days.

We know them as trolls, everyone else calls them "cyber bullies". No matter what you call it, there are always going to be people out there who will never rest until they get the last word on the internet.

You may have "won" the internet battle by getting the last word. But in reality the other person has won by being the bigger man and no longer giving a shit about his ego.

On one hand, I do agree that a lot of gamers do whine about... a lot of things, but at the same time it is sometimes justifiable.

A great example is how Capcom released DLC already loaded onto the disc but then expected people to pay for it (Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter X Tekken). That was just downright horrible and we as the consumer, have the right to voice our opinion and complain.

On the other hand, sometimes gamers complain about the stupidest things. I'm going to use EA Games here as an example with the ending of Mass Effect 3. Yes, the original ending wasn't that great at all and did leave open a lot of stuff but man, there was massive backlash that was a bit inappropriate. At the very least, Bioware did alter the ending as free DLC.

As people have mentioned, it is very easy to criticize gaming companies, especially if they're big and successful like Blizzard. They're so popular but as soon as they make one mistake, they become a massive target.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle