The blu-rays

FrozenBacon

Veteran
For christmas I am going to buy my father a blu-ray player. Problem is I am not sure which one to get. I want it to be able to stream movies from netflix, and have a wireless internet connection.

I am pretty dumb when it comes to blu-ray players and I don't want to get a shitty one by accident. Know of any good ones that cost less than $200?

EDIT: Wrong forum. Can a mod move this?

Really, the LG BD570 is wireless, has Netflix and has the best Netflix interface on it save for the Roku, PS3 and Wii. It will also stream Vudu (another VOD service), Pandora, youtube, cinemanow and others.

It has great BR playback on it as well.

De-Ting said:
Just go for extra yardage and get him a PS3.

If my father played video games, I would. My sister wants a 360, but she only would play like one game on it so, fuck that.

And yeah, that player does look good, lethean. I'll probably get it if no one else comes up with a better one.

Seriously, just go for a PS3. Hook him up with one of them, a remote and that play TV thing.
Suddenly, blu-ray player, netflix, tivo, -everything.

My dad is giving himself the gift of Blu-Ray this Christmas. He was "this" close to just getting a PS3 so we could play Hot Shots Golf together. Dawwwwww.

My whole house is Samsung, even my fridge, but I don't have a Bluray player, so I dunno. I kind of have a feeling I'm getting one for Xmas, but that's just a hunch.

Check CNet reviews.

Yeah Samsung products are good. Their blu ray players are alright. As far as BR goes, they're pretty reliable. For streaming Netflix, they have a tendency to deactivate often so you need to reactivate it via a code every now and then. If you wanted to go with Samsung, I'd recommend the C6500. As BR players however and not streaming devices, they're really decent.

The Panasonic DMP-BD85k is also a viable option but the lack of built in wi-fi results in needing a usb adapter which offers subpar performance quality.

The BD570 also has DLNA support. The only downside to it is a lack of 3D support but I'm guessing that's not a factor for your father.

Lethean said:
Yeah Samsung products are good. Their blu ray players are alright. As far as BR goes, they're pretty reliable. For streaming Netflix, they have a tendency to deactivate often so you need to reactivate it via a code every now and then. If you wanted to go with Samsung, I'd recommend the C6500. As BR players however and not streaming devices, they're really decent.

The Panasonic DMP-BD85k is also a viable option but the lack of built in wi-fi results in needing a usb adapter which offers subpar performance quality.

The BD570 also has DLNA support. The only downside to it is a lack of 3D support but I'm guessing that's not a factor for your father.

Yeah my dad has some random Mitsubishi HDTV. No idea where it came from (knowing my dad, he probably got it from some sort of shady deal out of someone's truck), but I doubt it does 3D.

But yeah, the LG player is in my amazon cart, ready to order. I plan on having it arrive to my parents house when I get there (shipping here to hawaii is expensive).

my bro just got a new 52" LCD TV, and i got him a ps3 for blu ray for christmas.

so i guess long story short, thats my vote.

if thats too pricey though just go with what colin said, hes clearly the most educated on blu ray players in this thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod