Temperature go down, head go boom

maca2kx

Rookie
Temperature goes below absolute zero

exploding_head_.jpg

Makes sense once you read through it.. We are talking about atoms. I read this somewhere else but thank you for posting it here.

Energy landscape
"The resulting thermometer is mind-bending with a scale that starts at zero, ramps up to plus infinity, then jumps to minus infinity before increasing through the negative numbers until it reaches negative absolute zero, which corresponds to all particles sitting at the top of the energy hill."

Negative temperature may also have implications for cosmology. Dark energy, thought to explain the accelerating expansion of the universe, exerts negative pressure, which suggests it might have negative temperature – Schneider is currently discussing the idea with cosmologists.

And here I thought the point of dark energy was to capture it in a super heated state. But if it releases negative pressure, that may be of a negative temperature, it sounds like we're now headed in the opposite direction. I always thought the end game was fuel, like we were always trying to find better applications for fuel through the use of dark energy. It's something to think you'd have to go negative temperatures for fuel... makes sense on paper. I just want to see the motor that uses this negative temp dark energy. vroom vroom.

It is going to be interesting to see if others can replicate this, and verify this is an actual thing.

Here is a link to the full study:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/339/6115/52

What I am most interested in, what are the applications of this potential knowledge?
That we could supercool down a potential quantum-CPU ? Rather easy to OC a q-CPU when you start at -500 C degrees.

Or that freeze orb from Demolition Man, something super cold that could instantly freeze anything it touches.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle