Here we go again...

C_nate

Rookie
The media never gets tired of this shit.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/prosecuto ... 9ECzrWIUcE

By RANDY KREIDER
June 6, 2012

Anders Breivik, the right-wing extremist who has confessed to killing 77 people during a murder spree in Norway last summer, played the violent computer game World of Warcraft nearly seven hours a day for several consecutive months before his attack, prosecutors say.

Breivik, 33, already known to have a long history with the online role-playing game, was particularly absorbed by it between November 2010 and February 2011, when he played for an average of 6 hours and 50 minutes per day, according to prosecutors.

The new evidence in Breivik's ongoing trial was presented in an Oslo court on Wednesday. When asked about his interest in the game by a prosecutor, Breivik angrily dismissed the idea that playing World of Warcraft had any connection to his attacks, according to media reports.

"It is not relevant to this case whatsoever," Breivik said, getting so upset that he threatened to turn off his microphone, according to Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang.

On July 22, 2011, Breivik detonated a bomb in central Oslo that killed eight people, and then shot and killed 69 people attending a youth summer camp on the nearby island of Utoya. Breivik admitted mounting the attacks after his arrest, and used weapons named after Norse gods to massacre his victims.

He has previously stated that he played Warcraft, as well as another "first-person shooter" game called Modern Warfare, for hours daily.

In Warcraft, players assume the identity of an online character to use magic and weapons to battle monsters and other characters and go on quests.

According to prosecutors, Breivik played Warcraft under the aliases "Andersnordic" and "Conservatism."

Norwegian anthropologist Thomas Hylland Eriksen, who was brought in as an expert witness for Breivik's defense earlier this year, said in an interview with the British network ITN that Breivik was apparently unable to separate games from reality.

"He does not seem to be very successful at distinguishing between the virtual reality of 'World of Warcraft' and other video games and reality," Eriksen said.

In a March 2008 post on a web forum devoted to the game, user "Andersnordic" posted that the game had been responsible for making him "300kg, bald and pale," and told the game's developer Blizzard Entertainment, "You'll hear from my lawyer!"

My favorite line:
played the violent computer game World of Warcraft

It always goes back to the D&D = satanic cult thing. If it was Angry Birds he was playing 7 hours a day, would it be the same article? Seems like certain games will never lose that stigma.

It's much easier for the media and prosecutors to identify a singular cause for violent behavior rather than explain the problem as a dynamic multi-variable issue with societal and cultural antecedents,

-BBK

What I find most amusing is that by pointing the finger at video games, they refuse to acknowledge the popularity of games and their widespread use. They make it seem like few people play video games and that they are all going to turn out violent murderers, when in fact, millions of people play video games, and very few are violent murders. It would be easy to claim that because some murderers drive, all drivers are violent people. It's the same logic they seem to be using, and it's very wrong.

This just in, Breivik apparently read books almost daily.. DAILY!

Books!

The work of the devil

Word is he also ate a lot of sandwiches. What is it theyre putting in sandwiches these days.. who knows, but what we do know, is they lead to mass murder.

This is old news, but it always provides the lolz.

I want to become a journalist so I can write articles about extremely successful, intelligent, polite, friendly, helpful individuals who love and play video games daily.

But World of Warcraft IS to blame for mankind's awful state.

It's evil!

tumblr_liwvb3yfZp1qdgu7s.jpg

Maybe someone ganked him in WoW and he took it out on 70+ people. Weird how they focused on WoW but briefly mentions Modern Warfare. Coincidence?

Oh, by the way, did you know in parts of Europe (maybe all, I don't know) call FPS games "ego shooters" instead of "first-person shooters"?

Funny how no one pointed out that his user name was "conservatism". That would be a more logical link there then the fact he's playing wow...

Crap... there i go again turning another thread into a S*** storm... Oh, you know what? Let's start over, Hi! I'm Lien!

If you refer to people who like to keep the status quo (leftists), then yes, "conservatives."

reign of (leftist) terror aside, this is the best the media can come up with now adays.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
If you refer to people who like to keep the status quo (leftists), then yes, "conservatives."

reign of (leftist) terror aside, this is the best the media can come up with now adays.

Yeah, except Brevik isn't a communist. He is a fascist. So, leftist, not really.

I played World of Warcraft once.
Now i sit at home playing with a knife, thinking about killing people.

These 2 are obviously related.

NickKmet said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:

Yeah, except Brevik isn't a communist. He is a fascist. So, leftist, not really.

anyone can be a facist, left or right.

Right Che Genevra?

Not really. Facism is a separate system or political ideology. You can't pair facism with communism. Fundamentally different systems. This chart is useful:

left_right_political_spectrum_0111.jpg

I don't think this article is that bad, apart from calling WoW violent. But that's probably just ignorance about what the game is like (although some people honestly think it is violent). I think the salient thing is that They claim he had difficulty distinguishing between video games and reality. It happens, and it's relevant to the case. I don't think Kreider did too much to perpetuate the notion of evil video games. If someone reads this article and jumps to the conclusion that these games must be responsible for his behaviour, then that's the reader's fault.

Should've rolled a rogue, used slice and dice, cast vanish. They'd never have caught him. He'd pretty much be a free man right now. The media wouldn't be saying stupid shit. Well, they always say stupid shit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo