Strikeforce : Diaz Vs. Santos Thar be spoilers here.

GRColin

Rookie
Yeah....Something tells me maybe only IntoTheRain will read this thread. Oh well! Here it is!

Tonight was a Strikeforce event that saw Nick Diaz defend his Welterweight title and try for 9 straight wins against challenger Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, whose wife is Strikeforce's Women's Middleweight Champion, Cristian "Cyborg" Santos, while Ronadlo "Jacare" Souza was defending his Middleweight title against the resilient Robbie Lawler. The card also featured former NFL star Herschel Walker who was facing his second opponent, Scott Carson.

This is really only the second Strikeforce card I've tuned in to and I missed most of the fights save for the ones previously mentioned. Strikeforce's inability to put on the matches everyone wants to see and over-reliance on pyrotechnics always kind of turned me off, not to mention I'm a firm believer that the best mixed martial artists do compete in the UFC. However, Strikeforce does has some great athletes that could hold their own in the UFC such as Nick Diaz and of course Fedor Emelianenko. Having said that, some of the fights on this card rivaled that of *some* of the fights on the more recent UFC events.

Of the four fights I saw, all ended in either submission or TKO. Nick Diaz won his 9th straight, submitted Santos via armbar with ten seconds remaining i round 2, Herschel Waler scored a TKO victory over Scott Carson 3:13 into round 1, Jacare submitted Lawler via rear-naked choke at 2:00 in round 3, Roger Gracie of the Gracie family forced Trevor Prangley to tap due to a rear-naked choke with 39 seconds remaining in round 1.

Now I have to say, Herschel Walker is a great athlete. He came into MMA at 47 years old and won his first fight and secured his second victory at age 48. However, while he's transitioning really well to the world of MMA, some call him the "greatest athlete in the world". I think that's a little bit of a stretch. Especially not as far as MMA talent goes. I think he can go places but the Scott Carson fight was a hand picked matchup and Carson himself has only had one other fight in the past decade, a fight in which he lost.

I'm excited about the Heavyweight tournament. Could we finally witness Josh Barnett vs Fedor Emelianenko?

I think I'm the only one thinking Josh Barnett is past his MMA prime.

I WANT Werdum to take it as I just think he's all around awesome. Humble, down to earth fighter with a lot of skills in his arsenal. Odds of him beating Fedor again should they face each other? Slim to none. Why Fedor followed him to the ground I have no idea.

I just want Aliseroid Overeem to lose :(.

Lethean said:
I think I'm the only one thinking Josh Barnett is past his MMA prime.

This is my problem with Strikeforce. A lot of their big names are either guys who can't fight in the UFC anymore, guys who are past their prime, or Fedor.

Oh...SNAP!

Not only that but they let their fighters get away with saying who they will and won't fight, like KJ Noons saying he won't fight Paul Daley. It's ridiculous. In the past year, I can think of maybe two or three Strikeforce match ups that I wanted to see. Scott Coker seems like a great guy and a decent owner for the organization but they need to start putting on the fights people want to see. Alistair and Fedor should have fought by now, Ryan Couture should be on an actual event other than "Challengers" for his next fight and NIck Diaz should be fighting A-list fighters before his Gracie coach says he's better than the UFC fighters. (Yes, his coach Cesar Gracie said this.) Oh wait - He won't fight any A-list welterweights because Strikeforce doesn't have any...Except Paul Daley. Maybe.

I'll say this. The Diaz brothers always do better than I expect them to. And the last name Gracie is synonymous with "people who exaggerate".

It is. As much as I love what the Gracie's did for MMA and Vale Tudeo fighting, I take what so many of them say with a grain of salt.

So what matches are you excited for at UFC 126?

Personally, as marketable and enjoyable as the main events will be, the fight I'm waiting on is Jones vs. Bader. As far as 205 goes, these are two of the best up-and-comers, IMO. Both have strong, well-rounded games. But I really want Bader to win and I hope that he empties Jones' tank with some clinch and cage.

I'm also hoping that Rocha gets an upset, but I really doubt it.

I don't know, just babbling at this point.

Man....I'm actually pretty excited about that entire card. I'm definitely looking forward to the Jones/ Bader fight. A lot. I like Jones but he seems to be getting a little too cocky. Franklin/Griffin I'm looking forward to...I like em both but I'm gonna have to root for Forrest only because of his long lay off and Franklin is irritating me lately. It's like he mentioned three times when he beat Liddell "I was fighting with a broken arm"...Yes. You're tough. We get it.

Belfort Vs Silva though...Man...If Belfort comes out looking like he did when he was 22 or 23....Silva better be ready. Belfort STILL has fast hands and knock oout power to this day. Unfortunately, 16 months since your last fight isn't ideal when fighting for the championship.

And I think Cerrone will win his fight.

Lethean said:
Man....I'm actually pretty excited about that entire card. I'm definitely looking forward to the Jones/ Bader fight. A lot. I like Jones but he seems to be getting a little too cocky. Franklin/Griffin I'm looking forward to...I like em both but I'm gonna have to root for Forrest only because of his long lay off and Franklin is irritating me lately. It's like he mentioned three times when he beat Liddell "I was fighting with a broken arm"...Yes. You're tough. We get it.

Belfort Vs Silva though...Man...If Belfort comes out looking like he did when he was 22 or 23....Silva better be ready. Belfort STILL has fast hands and knock oout power to this day. Unfortunately, 16 months since your last fight isn't ideal when fighting for the championship.

to this day i think belfort is one of the most skilled and talented fighters to step in the octagon.

problem is, he has NO heart. he gets hit and falls apart. actually, it's since he became a die hard bible thumper, not that I have anything against that, but that is when he went soft. he was the scariest fighter i've ever seen in his early UFC days.

make me very disappointed to think about it =(

intoTheRain said:
Lethean said:

to this day i think belfort is one of the most skilled and talented fighters to step in the octagon.

problem is, he has NO heart. he gets hit and falls apart. actually, it's since he became a die hard bible thumper, not that I have anything against that, but that is when he went soft. he was the scariest fighter i've ever seen in his early UFC days.

Actually I think it has more to do with his sister being murdered than bible thumping.

Diabolus said:
intoTheRain said:
Lethean said:

Actually I think it has more to do with his sister being murdered than bible thumping.

except he went soft long before his sister was murdered, so no.

i know he at least was beat by Chuck, in a very disappointing loss, and a few boring un vitor like decision wins. can't remember if he lost to randy as well before or not.

Yeah, he lost to Couture at UFC 15 due to TKO, beat him at UFC 46 due to a cut Randy suffered above his eye and in their third and final match up Couture beat him at UFC 49 by doctor stoppage. Aside from Couture, all his losses have either been decision or submission and his decision losses are to guys not quite known for their striking - Wrestlers like Dan Henderson, Tito Ortiz. Strikers he doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with - Rich Franklin, Wanderlei Silva...Even though he lost to the Iceman he wasn't KO'd - It went to decision. So it'll be interesting to see if Vitor can withstand an in his prime Liddell, what can he take from Anderson Silva? Silva keeps his composure and doesn't over commit a lot better than Liddell ever did though.

Lethean said:
Strikers he doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with - Rich Franklin, Wanderlei Silva...Even though he lost to the Iceman he wasn't KO'd - It went to decision. So it'll be interesting to see if Vitor can withstand an in his prime Liddell, what can he take from Anderson Silva? Silva keeps his composure and doesn't over commit a lot better than Liddell ever did though.

But if you look at the other side of this fight. Silva usually looks his best against strikers (that is, if he's not cocking it up. I know Belfort is good, but I just don't see him bringing anything special to the Octagon come Saturday night.

Belfort will be the most dangerous during the first couple minutes of the fight. If Anderson makes it through the first round, his advantage will increase with each subsequent round.

Bretimus_v2 said:
But if you look at the other side of this fight. Silva usually looks his best against strikers (that is, if he's not cocking it up. I know Belfort is good, but I just don't see him bringing anything special to the Octagon come Saturday night.

Very true Bret. Very true. Silva handled Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin, Jorge Rivera, Demian Maia, Patrick Cote...So many strikers with relative ease. He's elusive, quick and well....Hell...He knocked Griffin out as he was backing away, when you don't have all your force behind the punch.

Diabolus I can definitely see that. I don't think Belfort has a small gas tank but Silva didn't really seem all that tired after getting dominated for four and a half rounds by Chael Sonnen.

intoTheRain said:
about the fight, i think anderson will cripple belfort. it will be embarrassing, and i will cry for vitor, because vitor will look as if someone just killed his cute new puppy.

...Or his sister...Again?

Ohhh...I felt bad the moment I typed that :(.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle