Speed runs that have REALLY impressed you

malakian

Rookie
Speed runs by definition are impressive gaming feats, but which ones broke the mold for you? I thoroughly enjoyed the 16 and a half minute Morrowind speed run that can be found here on GR in the goodies section. Very impressive.

The first real speed run I watched was the Mario 3 in eleven minutes. The first time I had to pick my jaw up off the floor.

thetank said:
I've seen a fair few Sonic speed runs, especially the "no rings" ones.
The no rings run was incredibly impressive. And holy shit, Morrowind in 7 minutes? That's unreal.

The only speed run I've ever seen that blew my mind was the SMB3 in 11 minutes.

...and yeah I know he cheated. But it still blows my mind.

It wasn't really fake in the sense that it was some flash movie. He just cheated by using some thingy that saved his game up to every millisecond. So if he died, he could restart right at that very moment he died.

I'm not good at explaining it, but from what I've heard the way he cheated is just as hard to do as what he showed to us.

GhostTrip said:
It wasn't really fake in the sense that it was some flash movie. He just cheated by using some thingy that saved his game up to every millisecond. So if he died, he could restart right at that very moment he died.

I'm not good at explaining it, but from what I've heard the way he cheated is just as hard to do as what he showed to us.

He perfected small sections at a time (like 10 second clips) and then strung them together to make it look like he was doing the entire thing all at once. So technically he did do everything you saw, he just did not do it in one singular run. So I definitly would not say that is as hard as doing it beginning to end in one run, the only thing hard about what he did is matching up each section so it looked legit.

Most speedruns you see online are not rom hacks. You are referring to Tool Assisted Speedruns which are indeeded recorded using slowed-down roms and have like 500 000 rerecords. Any speedrun you will see on www.speeddemosarchive.com is totally legit though and they are all very impressive. Some of my favs are the Super Metroid 3 and Zelda OoT runs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133