Scale of the universe from the micro to the macro

Paradox

Soaring Phoenix
And my link to it is unreliable. Scroll down and click on Chris Crime's.

The scale of it is mind-boggling.

Nice find, Paradox. This is going to be posted on my Facebook page.
WARNING: This would be awesome to look at...on weed
jon-stewart-half-baked.jpg

Yeah that's it. I don't know what's up with my link. It's working for some but not others. It comes up fine on my comp, but my wife gets the error on hers.

Once you start getting into the Zm category - their guessing. well.. its all guessing. Logic based guessing, but still guessing.
shooottt... guessing the size of nebulas the margin of error is through the roof.

Size of the Universe?
..The universe is infinite...
infinite = not a rational number - undefinable.

900Ym
black+guy+laughing.JPG

Still interesting and cool to know that this stuff is out there none-the-less

Paradox said:
Yeah that's it. I don't know what's up with my link. It's working for some but not others. It comes up fine on my comp, but my wife gets the error on hers.
I think it's because you posted a 4chan link, and shit on there is always going on and off. For flashes, Dagobah and swfchan are permanent sources.

UrbanMasque said:
Size of the Universe?
..The universe is infinite...
infinite = not a rational number - undefinable.

Actually, not necessarily true. There are a lot of theories that hold the universe is a finite size, and from the outside could been seen as a sort of bubble, with other universes around it. Typically though, the edge of the universe is described as the extent of matter.

What part isnt true? Infinity not being definable or a rational/real or any kind of number.

I mean at this point, all theories are valid - but look at it - 26 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE?!?! They should just say, "total shot in the dark, but we guess - blah blah blah"

Giving it a # means that it, has some sort of a horizon and ends somewhere and then that opens the possibility of there being more than one. then the question of how big is whats outside the universe. How many are there? how did they come to be? Do the laws of physics still hold there? it also implies that you can pick a point to begin and end your measurement, and soon after your head explodes.

The universe that I'm used to thinking about is the one that was here way before the big bang and will be here after everything that came to life after the big bang cools and dies.

I don't get what you mean the end of matter? But I'm interested. Got links?

UrbanMasque said:
What part isnt true? Infinity not being definable or a rational/real or any kind of number.

I mean at this point, all theories are valid - but look at it - 26 ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE?!?! They should just say, "total shot in the dark, but we guess - blah blah blah"

Giving it a # means that it, has some sort of a horizon and ends somewhere and then that opens the possibility of there being more than one. then the question of how big is whats outside the universe. How many are there? how did they come to be? Do the laws of physics still hold there? it also implies that you can pick a point to begin and end your measurement, and soon after your head explodes.

The universe that I'm used to thinking about is the one that was here way before the big bang and will be here after everything that came to life after the big bang cools and dies.

I don't get what you mean the end of matter? But I'm interested. Got links?

By the end of matter, I mean where the expansion of space ends. As I'm sure you know, the universe is constantly expanding, that means that there is an edge somewhere, beyond which there is no matter, or possibly no "space" as we understand it. I've also read some theories that describe space as being a flat object that is literally expanding - as in space itself expands. As for links, I wish I could give you some. Most of what I understand has come from reading and re-reading articles from Scientific American during my many visits to the porcelain throne.

You're right though: the number is so astronomically large that it might as well be infinity to us, though it literally isn't infinity (or so we like to guess).

I think the theory says that the universe is expanding because we see everything moving away from us - basically the effects of the big bang tapering off.

We see the effects of the big bang, but saying that its hand in hand with the universe's creation is kind of a leap too, right? The chart also says, "we are not in the center of the universe" - a very hard claim to make when you can't quantify something. It should say we aren't the middle children of the big bang or something to that effect.

Most of what I understand comes from my old roommates and our "hobbyist" discussions.
2508200938263Stoners_in_Half_Baked.jpg

But still all VERY credible & respected guys in their fields.

If there is any another universe, then it would probably exist on top of or in parallel with the one we are in (but we can't sense it). And not next to or independent of our own universe... Thats the hobbyist in me talking now.

Lastly - I can see what you're saying except for one thing. There is matter everywhere, all the time. If there is no matter there then it doesn't exist.

You know what I've always thought, but have little backing behind scientifically?

You know how in the game Asteroids if you go through one side of the map you come out the other? The universe operates like that, but in the third dimension rather than the second.

I don't know how to explain it much better than that. I'm a history guy, not a scientist.

Longo_2_guns said:
You know how in the game Asteroids if you go through one side of the map you come out the other? The universe operates like that, but in the third dimension rather than the second.

his_mind%20blown.gif

in that analogy would black holes be the left side of the screen and would white holes be the right side?

UrbanMasque said:
I think the theory says that the universe is expanding because we see everything moving away from us - basically the effects of the big bang tapering off.

We see the effects of the big bang, but saying that its hand in hand with the universe's creation is kind of a leap too, right?

Lastly - I can see what you're saying except for one thing. There is matter everywhere, all the time. If there is no matter there then it doesn't exist.

Well, for one thing, the effects of the big bang are not tapering off, since we know that the speed at which the universe is expanding is increasing continuously now.

The big bang theory states that all matter was held within a single point, and then expanded outwards. The defined edges of the universe would have encompassed that point (as there is nothing beyond the point). It's impossible for us to say where all of this came from, and we don't even know for sure that the big bang theory is correct (hence it being a theory), so you can't really say where the universe came from. But our current iteration of reality, which originated from the big bang, is often just referred to as being the universe.

The problem with our universe is that it operates on a 4 dimension level, while we only can observe 3 dimensions. I've seen a few explanations for the universe as describing it as being like an expanding bubble, and our existence lies on the surface. The expanding bubble is supposed to represent space-time. According to Einstein's theories, the idea of space must have some physical presence. Otherwise, his theory of wormholes wouldn't be possible (the folding or bending of space) and everything we theorize about how black holes function (so much mass that they literally tear a hole in space) would be wrong.

But really, when it comes down to it, we just don't know.

I still think though that the bubble explanation is the best in terms of creating a visual.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle