Dollars per hour of entertainment

One reason I love video games is because of the insanely high return on investment. $60 for the Orange Box anyone? 200 hours of Team Fortress 2 later and I think the money was worth it. Anyway, that mentality has gotten me to think about the prohibitively low return on investment for things like Bluray discs, eating out for dinner, concerts, etc....

inb4 GF's are expensive by this scale Hayooooooo

What's the most money you've ever paid for say an hour or two of entertainment? IMAX movie tickets are up there for me, but then there's also stuff like the county fair or certain "extreme" tourist attractions like ziplining. Slow the fuck down, Zipline. I wanna enjoy my $50.

I know what you mean. When my dad insists on buying something like a $20 meal for me, I think to myself, "can you just give me the cash?"

Top Thrill Dragster probably has the biggest cost:time ratio for me.

If we just mean movies then the most I paid for a ticket was $22 for D-Box, 3D IMAX whatever. It was expensive but I just had to try it once.

187390.jpg

Growing up in a frugal family where splurging on pizza or the movies meant bologna sandwiches and ramen noodles the rest of the week, I've always heavily weighed cost vs. return. It's why I always catch matinee shows and use Gamefly. Probably the most I've spent for a couple hours entertainment were on live events. Concerts like Smashing Pumpkins, Type O Negative and Rammstein and shows like WWE Raw aren't cheap to attend and they were all only two to two and half hours. Even more-so when you factor in gas, parking and $10 beers.

But I highly enjoyed and don't regret a single moment of any of them. Hell, if Rammstein came back to Dallas, I'd be willing to pay twice what I payed before.

Yeah, baseball games are where I've spent the most money.

But really, video games provide a ridiculous return on the investment, for the most part. Which is why I find it so interesting that people often complain about the pricing structure - realistically, they could be a lot more expensive. Fortunately, that's not the case, which I really appreciate.

I remember N64 games were very expensive. Super Mario 64 was around $90. I can't remember the cost of others since my parents bought my N64 games but prices today are very reasonable.

I paid $150 to see Primus play for 2 hours. It was a 3D show too.

How about beers? A six-pack of Blue Moon at say two beers/per day I drank only gets me like.... three total hours of entertainment? and I spent $8 on them...

How about all those psychedelics you guys are taking... what's the cost:time ratio on those?

Weed is still cheaper. $5 of weed can get me stoned for 3 hours.

Buying it in large quantities you get more weed for your buck.

When it comes to beer, I tend to prefer IPAs or imports or domestic microbrews. I also usually like stronger beers in the 8 to 10% alcohol range. If I make my own six pack, I can easily go $20. Not that I'm a snobby beer connoisseur. Sometimes I'll still stop by the gas station and grab a $3 six pack.

When it comes to hard liquor though, I'm the opposite. When I'm looking for a buzz I'll grab a $7 bottle of vodka.

Fireworks. I have to count to a hundred before lighting off another otherwise I could burn through so much cash in so little time.

When I was younger, I'd splurge on those morter shells. I'd usually only shoot one out of the tube before I just started throwing them at things, secretly pretending I was throwing them at Spider-Man from my Goblin glider.

#bretgivesuptoeasily

A mixture of weed and video games can also increase its subjective value.

MMOs on weed - "Awesome, lets explore this world!"
MMOs sober - "Man this feels grindy, I can't believe I've spent money on this."

Don't even get me started on the things you can do in GTA while on drugs.

I remember the BF3 drinking game my squad used to play. Bong hits for every death, Shots for every round won. It feels amazing to get fucked up with your bros while staying focused and dominating a game. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

Agreed. At that rate, I'd buy like, three hookers. Was it a 4th of July discount or something?