Ohayooo......Daiben!!!!

nuclear-power-plant.jpg

The future is NOW!

draft_lens17549604module147644869photo_1295448648jim-carrey-7-fingers.jpg

Grey said:
madster111 said:
I also love Japanese culture. Elsewhere in the world, during these sorts of emergencies you have to worry about looters, whereas in Japan you just don't.

Well you do, but only for five minutes. The Yakuza tend to show their good side during disasters such as this one. They're incredible at rapidly organizing themselves and getting aid to people quickly. There were reports of men posing as police officers in order to take advantage of women shortly after the quake. Then the Yakuza show up and all the nonsense stopped immediately. I'm not trying to glamorize organized crime but god damn those guys know how to act during a crisis.

Patriotic criminals are like an alcoholic uncles that do a good santa during Christmas.

@urbs I mentioned this conversation to a co worker, can a field of solar panels hold up to an earthquake? I know a killer wave is unstoppable, but for the ones inland would a quake shake them to bits or are they built to hold up?

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
@urbs I mentioned this conversation to a co worker, can a field of solar panels hold up to an earthquake? I know a killer wave is unstoppable, but for the ones inland would a quake shake them to bits or are they built to hold up?

Solar panels get printed like newspaper. how hard would it be to scrap an array of panels (which you can get insured!) - and reinstall new ones... downtime - hmmm maybe 2 days? Possibility of side effects due to damaged solar panels... nil. and I KNOW FOR A FACT that solar panels get tested full submerged in water (as a part of their reliability testing for some certifications in the solar industry). So if they are under water then get salvaged, there is a good possibility that your panels will still work - if it is uprooted and dragged down the street due to a tsunami current - im not so confident. BUT ya never know.
If this were a solar farm, you wouldn't be spending time removing people from their homes - we would be rebuilding parts of the country, supplying people with food, water, and contacts to speak to their family in other countries, and rushing to rescue people who may still be trapped beneath stuff. To be honest, this is a dumb problem to have, during a natural disaster.

You know, we (people that is) aren't fit to govern this world. This shit is fucked. Just keeps getting worse, living on islands or a coast; bad idea. Just think if this happened off of the coast of California, Several major US cities wiped out. It's just...mad.

I'm moving to eastern Tennessee, rather deal with "you've got a purdy mouth" than this stuff.

LinksOcarina said:
That I got, and supposedly there is a team working round the clock to prevent more radiation.

If they walk away from this with super powers, im hitching a flight to Japan.

UrbanMasque said:
If this were a solar farm,
No one in Japan would have any electricity at all.

Solar panels will -NEVER- put out anywhere near the amount of power a decent nuclear reactor will. You can have 4x the space of a single plant if you want, you will still never get the same amount of power.
Plus, nuclear reactors do tend to work when it's cloudy, and at like, nighttime.

The older nuclear reactors in japan (the ones you're talkin about) are over 40 years old, and yet they still stood up to an Earthquake larger than ANYTHING the US has felt in all its recorded history.
And that's before we get to the Tsunami that hit the plant.

Considering they're only just now starting to go critical, i personally think it's incredible.

Nuclear power in itself is extremely safe. The problem is having so many reactors so close together, close to the coast and in an extremely population dense country. Although i'm not sure the close to coast bit will turn out to be a problem, considering it's the main fallback for Plan B which has been put into effect - and the only single reason the reactors are yet to completely fail.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod