Gun control - Your thoughts?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I understand this is a sensitive, controversial topic. I also understand people may have different views and opinions on guns and gun control as a whole, and that's okay. Even though I'm starting this thread, I'd like it to be a discussion, not so much a debate or even arguments. The last thing I want to do is offend or upset anyone in this community, I would just like to know people's opinions on the matter.

I read the news recently and heard that unfortunately, there's been another shooting in Virginia, America, which I'm sure you've all heard about already, probably way before me.

The victims were a television reporter Alison Parker, camera operator Adam Ward and the interviewee Vicki Gardner. Parker and Ward were killed in the shooting, while Gardner was wounded but is now in a stable condition. The gunman was Vester Le Flanagan II, who also died after the shooting due to a self-inflicted gun shot wound.

The full article can be seen here - http://www.news.com.au/world/north-amer ... 7500400061

From my understanding, there are a lot of shootings in America, with a broad scope of victims of different cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds. I don't live in America, I live in Australia, so the only way I know of these shootings is from what I hear and read from the media. I do see people's Facebook status updates about these things, all in all, each and every case is horrible and sad.

Australia isn't perfect. There are still incidents of assault and murder where guns are involved. However, our last mass shooting was back in 1996, in Port Arthur, Tasmania (the Port Arthur Massacre). On the morning of April the 28th, Martin Bryant took to the streets Port Arthur armed with a Colt AR-15 SP1 .223 carbine rifle and a L1A1 SLR .308 battle rifle, murdering thirty five people and wounding twenty three more. In the end, Bryant was wounded by police and captured, leading to life imprisonment with no parole.

Since the massacre, the Australian Government has tightened control on guns, placing very high restrictions on automatic/semi-automatic rifles and shotguns and pump action shotguns as well. As I mentioned before, Australia still has unfortunate incidents involving guns but ever since the Port Arthur Massacre, we thankfully haven't had a mass shooting since. Touch wood it doesn't happen again any time soon.

I know a lot of people who are grateful for our gun laws. On the other hand, I also know people who are against it and wish to see guns back in Australia. One fella I know is very much against Australia's gun laws, wanting it to be more like the United States. When asked why, he will often say things like "Alcohol and drugs kill people too. Why aren't they banned? What about cars? Cars kill people too. Should we ban them?"

To me, that seems like a bit of an immature response. For starters, most drugs are illegal and are essentially "banned". Alcohol of course has punishment for those who might cause trouble because of alcohol induced behaviour - I got a friend who doesn't drink anymore because he's a massive tool when drunk. As for cars, the intention for cars is to transport people from A to B. We all know what the intention of a gun is.

I don't know what the "solution" is because the solution doesn't sound like an easy path. Personally, I think there should be tighter control on guns. I guess I just fail to see why people should be allowed to own and carry firearms... why would anyone be allowed to own say, an AR-15 and just keep it at home? Sometimes it makes sense, a farmer owns a property and uses a rifle to get rid of animals that may be trying to prey on their cattle, for example. But to be able to legally own a weapon and then conceal it somewhere on your body? I know you can do that with a knife, but considering a pistol can carry seven, nine or even more rounds? Well, that terrifies me.

What do you guys think? Your thoughts?

I own several firearms. I also have no intention to ever shoot anyone or anything living for that matter, unless it was for survival. Going down to the range is something that me and my old man do as a hobby. They are fun. They are neat; if anyone wants to shoot some guns while in or passing through STL, always willing to share some rounds and do some education.

Frankly, I wish guns weren't a thing. But they are. Despite the so called rise (it's been dropping, steadily, for years), it has slowly become less of an occurrence; but it clearly still happens, and it's always horrible.

The vast majority of gun owners in the US, talking 98%, are reasonable, responsible people. I will also say that is a culture, and a specifically American one at that; go to a decent size gun show or a Bass Pro shop on a Saturday, and you'll see everyone standing around, looking at, handling, and talking about guns: white, black, Hispanic, Asian, men, women, it's a family event.

tl;dr. Guns are fun, guns are neat, but they're a massive responsibility, and not everyone can handle it.

I love my second amendment and I am also licensed to concealed carry in my state.
I have no criminal history and no history of violence.

If we pass more gun control it should focus on illegal guns. Not to try to restrict all guns including those owned and bought by law abiding citizens.

Being able to defend my life and my girlfriend's life is one thing I have to think about constantly in this city. Being able to own my own firearm responsibly is one thing I love about being a U. S. Citizen.

I approve of background checks, medical history reports, waiting periods, required permits for just about everything, and just an overall increase in difficulty for anyone with criminal ties (even if they're personally clean, the way illegal guns hit the market is they're usually bought by someone with a clean record who then has it "stolen"), mental illness, or anyone with intent to actually shoot someone with it.

Second Amendment is alright, but anyone who honestly thinks that George Washington wanted people to rise up against the government needs to crack open a book sometime. The big reason for them to have guns was so if England, France, Holland, or Spain decided that it was a good time to take over America, the common person would already have the means to fight them. The Second Amendment exists for the preservation of the nation, not for freedom. It was also written at a time when a single man with a gun couldn't kill thirty two people in under ten minutes.

Guns are fun to shoot and the vast majority of the people who have them won't kill anyone with them. But even one person who intends to kill a crowd is too many.

Well that is just it. Do we want to deal with the reasons people use violence or do we just want to only remove weapons from them?

Sourdeez said:
Well that is just it. Do we want to deal with the reasons people use violence or do we just want to only remove weapons from them?

Perhaps both for the time being, until we have significant control and understanding of the former.

intoTheRain said:
Sourdeez said:

Perhaps both for the time being, until we have significant control and understanding of the former.

Right out removing guns will NEVER happen in the U.S. So there's really no reason even mentioning it, but there does need to be more goings on in the front end of purchasing guns.

Green_Lantern said:
intoTheRain said:
Sourdeez said:

Right out removing guns will NEVER happen in the U.S. So there's really no reason even mentioning it, but there does need to be more goings on in the front end of purchasing guns.

I agree and don't think they should be outright removed. I am anything but a gun control nut. But anyone still denying the ease of obtaining a firearm in the States isn't a large part of the issue.. well I just don't really have words.

I feel like Canada does it pretty well. The only issue in Canada is the billions the government has wasted trying to make the already reasonable gun control laws even tighter.

I don't think guns should be outright banned but there should definitely be restrictions on the type of firearm one can own. I mean, who the hell needs a semi-automatic or automatic rifle?

The problem is we have such a gun loving culture here and guns are such a part of our society that I feel it wouldn't make too much of a difference if implemented now only because of how many are already out there. If this was done earlier, it's easy to say it could make a difference. Now? I'm not so sure. We'd need a dramatic shift in our views on guns and what they represent for any kind of significant change to happen.

Lethean said:
I don't think guns should be outright banned but there should definitely be restrictions on the type of firearm one can own. I mean, who the hell needs a semi-automatic or automatic rifle?

This is misinformed right here (sorry to single you out Lethean), you cannot buy an automatic, rambo style gun without approval from the Federal government, your local sheriff (who will investigate you), and find a class 3 licensed gun dealer, and probably around 10k+ as you can only buy automatic weapons from before 1986, which makes that shit rare. which means you basically have to be a gun shop owner (with a good amount of money). You can get one illegally, but that's some shady Mexican Mafia level connections right there.

Semi-automatic applies to just about everything. Means to shoot you need to pull the trigger each time to make it happen. So that's pistols, rifles, carbines, etc.

Revolvers are Single action (must cock the hammer on your own) double action( trigger pull does it for you) and hunting/old school rifles/shotgun can be lever/bolt/pump, etc.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

Lethean said:
The problem is we have such a gun loving culture here and guns are such a part of our society that I feel it wouldn't make too much of a difference if implemented now only because of how many are already out there. If this was done earlier, it's easy to say it could make a difference. Now? I'm not so sure. We'd need a dramatic shift in our views on guns and what they represent for any kind of significant change to happen.

Done earlier? Like when? 1774? It's always been a part of our culture, and Americans ability to own and maintain firearms is, well, 'Murican. If you want a good few reads, google "Guns during Civil Rights."

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Lethean said:

This is misinformed right here (sorry to single you out Lethean), you cannot buy an automatic, rambo style gun without approval from the Federal government, your local sheriff (who will investigate you), and find a class 3 licensed gun dealer, and probably around 10k+ as you can only buy automatic weapons from before 1986, which makes that shit rare. which means you basically have to be a gun shop owner (with a good amount of money). You can get one illegally, but that's some shady Mexican Mafia level connections right there.

Semi-automatic applies to just about everything. Means to shoot you need to pull the trigger each time to make it happen. So that's pistols, rifles, carbines, etc.

Revolvers are Single action (must cock the hammer on your own) double action( trigger pull does it for you) and hunting/old school rifles/shotgun can be lever/bolt/pump, etc.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

I didn't know that about fully automatic weapons so thanks for that bit of info in regards to background checks. As far as semi-automatic, I know what that means. But the fact that up until just recently you could buy an AR-15 at Wal-Mart, which is a semi automatic rifle, is ridiculous.. I guess I should have said *some* semi-automatics so you didn't interpret it as me saying all. Last I checked an AR-15 or Sig M400 were considered semi-automatic class rifles that you can legally purchase without such an intense background check.

iu6lysih03ov4p6dxp5i.jpg

Sort your shit out dammit! Dont give a gun to an ill-minded emotional nobhead...that's a given, that's established.

You get the feeling he would've found another way without any guns though, so what ya gonna do?

Thanks everyone for your posts on this thread. I appreciate it. It gives me better insight into the matter.

As Eyebrowsbv31 pointed out - I actually had no idea about the restrictions of fully automatic weaponry. That does give me some relief, actually. Shows how ignorant I am. Thanks for the education there, Eyebrows. :)

I do agree with Lethean. I don't see why people need to own semi-automatic weaponry, such as an AR-15 carbine for example. As I mentioned in my initial post, this was one of the weapons used in the Port Arthur Massacre in Tasmania, Australia, 1996.

Sourdeez mentioned that he is licensed to conceal carry in his state, having no criminal history and no history of violence, and is a law abiding citizen who makes sweet steak and chicken wings. I don't quite agree with the idea of conceal carrying, but please don't take that the wrong way Sourdeez, I have nothing against you personally - it is your choice and you are legally licensed to do so in your state, meaning you have the right to do it. I'm happy to hear that Sourdeez is doing the right thing by the law of his state.

I also agree that out right banning guns probably won't work at all. I guess what might be able to work is tighter restrictions on these weapons. I know a lot of states and areas already do, but the idea of background checks, waiting times, health/mental health records and so forth really need to be enforced stronger. I also think that acquiring semi-automatics as well should be stricter as well.

As for obtaining guns illegally? No idea there. That's something that the police are having a hard enough time as it is, apparently.

Thanks again everyone for your mature, diplomatic responses. I'm glad to no one has resorted to being "that guy" and saying something like "Sure, guns kill people, but so do cars, let's ban them too right?"

Fucking cars....

Let's ban 4x4s - I just hate 4x4s, it's too damn big for standard parking bays! And your kids are gonna slam that back door onto my precious car like the little naive bastards they are!

German coupes are where its at.

Master_Craig said:
As for obtaining guns illegally? No idea there. That's something that the police are having a hard enough time as it is, apparently.
That's because there's nothing that can be done.
It is not difficult, at all, to purchase an illegal weapon here in australia despite our relatively restrictive gun laws. As a quick example, a 9mm glock averages around $1300 in NSW.
That's not just accessible, it's downright affordable.
Oh but hey, gotta target those p-platers with their cars 5mm too low, though, right? They're the real danger.

The prevention to this sort of thing has nothing at all to do with guns, nothing to do with knives or availability of explosives or certain chemicals, and everything to do with the human race as a whole.
We've been killing each other since before we figured out sharp rocks work better than blunt ones and the only thing stopping spree killing is a proper health system that places an appropriately high priority on mental health.
This is the real reason the US has such a problem with this. The guns don't mean shit, it's the poor US mental health system where the solution to a problem is 'give them more $200 pills' with no exceptions, if you can even have anyone recognize a problem in the first place.

Have you never wondered why our (aus) society has such a low rate of this that when some dickhead with a shotgun takes a bunch of hostages it freezes the entire country and causes multi-thousand man hour inquests?
Meanwhile in the US it would be lucky to rate fucking state news.
It's not because of the accessibility of shotguns, there are over 850,000 registered firearms in NSW alone, let alone all the illegal ones.
What about new zealand? Their gun laws only ban automatics, if you want an AR-15 with a 30rd magazine you pay a license fee and go for it. When was the last time you saw their bi-weekly public shootings?

Blaming guns for a cultural problem is pointless.

Lethean said:
But the fact that up until just recently you could buy an AR-15 at Wal-Mart, which is a semi automatic rifle, is ridiculous.. I guess I should have said *some* semi-automatics so you didn't interpret it as me saying all. Last I checked an AR-15 or Sig M400 were considered semi-automatic class rifles that you can legally purchase without such an intense background check.
Semi-automatics are allowed in australia under certain conditions for the same reason they should be used in the US, medium to large game hunting.
The ability to put multiple rounds in an animal and kill it quickly is a much more humane way of doing it than shooting it once and then fumbling like a dickhead with the bolt while the animal gets away, only to die slowly of blood loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo