Music in games.

So im not sure if everyone can agree with me or do what i do but i just want your opinions on in game music. Generaly im talking about the FPS genre. I find the music to be very annoying and i am actually less immersed in the game. because in real life your not going to hear music on the battlefield unless your a soldier with your ipod. so i usually mute all in game music on any kind of shooting game really.

but on the other hand when it comes to games like Final Fantasy or oblivion i kind of like the ingame music because it goes with whats happening on screen and that its more like a movie or a book than something im supposed to be immersed in

what are your thoughts on in game music and do you mute it?

I find music important in games. Whenever I replay a level in a game, the interest often sparks from the awesome music. EG Halo 3 on the last level when you're hoggin' into the ship, that music has made me play that level so mnay damn times for kicks.

I dont look at games in terms of realism though. I look at them in entertainment value...like you would in a film or TV show. So I need good music in all the games I play.

Depends on the games, I thought it was hilarious on MGS4 when Snake could pull out his iPod and play from his collected tracks.

Bretimus_v2 said:
I thought it was hilarious on MGS4 when Snake could pull out his iPod and play from his collected tracks.
Truly an awesome feature. If your game series has a bunch of awesome music, players will want it to carry on through the sequels.

I hope to learn how to produce awesome songs and soundtracks to include in my projects.

Oh final fantasy music, I've always thought FF music was repetitive but not in a bad way, the little me thought it all sounded the same and was just one constant loop. But RPGs typically have good music, I think it has too since it's more playtime and more of the player dicking around to lvl up and not just constantly progressing the story. Shooters for me have music that is just good enough though I heart love the halo music. Essentially music in games fits that weird sense of the character not carrying around a iPod but still the music plays but I think the game would be a little weird without some type of background music.

Though I typically find the music they use in the promos and trailers to be better than the actual game music. I believe a well paced song could make any trailer for a game seem awesome. Like the "till I collapse" song for the MW2 launch trailer, "The Catalyst" for Medal of Honor or the "machine gun" song by portishead in the metro last light trailer.

To me, music in games (in movies too) is pretty important to help set up the atmosphere and the general mood the developers want you to feel. It could also serve as a nod towards fans if they recognize where the music came from. Like in New Vegas, they actually have music from the first two games.

because in real life your not going to hear music on the battlefield unless your a soldier with your ipod. so i usually mute all in game music on any kind of shooting game really.

You could also say that in real life, you can't take multiple bullets in the chest and get up like nothing's wrong with you.

I liked what they did with Call of duty black ops on the vietnam levels when they had Fortunate Son and Symphany for the devil playing.

cyberjim2000 said:
To me, music in games (in movies too) is pretty important to help set up the atmosphere and the general mood the developers want you to feel. It could also serve as a nod towards fans if they recognize where the music came from. Like in New Vegas, they actually have music from the first two games.

what about in No Country For Old Men. no soundtrack in the entire movie but the actors helped portray what the music could have done. i think that movie set it off for me why i usually mute in game music

Mitchy_Slick_253 said:
cyberjim2000 said:

what about in No Country For Old Men. no soundtrack in the entire movie but the actors helped portray what the music could have done. i think that movie set it off for me why i usually mute in game music

Yeah except that movie is entirely in an other league.

Back to OT

It will depend on the game. Games like Mass Effect and Bioshock, I find music to be part of the story telling. With games like Halo, they could play the Nyan cat song on repeat and I wouldn't care less.

Some games have great usage of music and all of that. One that comes to mind is Red Dead Redemption, where it really comes together with the setting and all that.

Or Demon's Souls, where everything is dead quiet until you get to a boss fight, which has a fitting theme. And that's the only time outside the Nexus when there's music.

The other nice thing about the music in RDR is how you don't even notice it sometimes and how it's not constantly present. Much like your example of Demon's Souls, the music in RDR is there to compliment the moment. I still get chills when Marston enters Mexico and the song starts playing.

I also love the song that they end MGS3 with. I'll beat that game just to listen to that song.

Mitchy_Slick_253 said:
So im not sure if everyone can agree with me or do what i do but i just want your opinions on in game music. Generaly im talking about the FPS genre. I find the music to be very annoying and i am actually less immersed in the game. because in real life your not going to hear music on the battlefield unless your a soldier with your ipod. so i usually mute all in game music on any kind of shooting game really.

but on the other hand when it comes to games like Final Fantasy or oblivion i kind of like the ingame music because it goes with whats happening on screen and that its more like a movie or a book than something im supposed to be immersed in

what are your thoughts on in game music and do you mute it?

Mitchy?!?! ..is that you?

Anyway, i never mute in game music. I agree with Jim n Longo, Music helps set the tone for whats going on in the game, as well as the time period (LA Noire, The Saboteur [Fuckin awesome music]) and the music can be just as epic as the game itself. Depending on how much the game speaks to you - music can be a great bridge to relive those moments without having to go through the game again - like in FF.

To be honest - i hate when my friends talk over the music or silence it. I feel like their not getting the most out of their game. In FPS multiplayer, the music may not be very important depending on how much realism you prefer, but these aren't 8bit samples. someone put a lot of thought into the tone of the game, you should appreciate it.

Mitchy... where have you been? I, for one, have missed you.

I mute the music if it's a looping track that gnaws at my brain until I realize it. Sometimes the music is meant to be a soundscape instead of a soundtrack, but either way, it's meant to give the game the right flavor.

Video Game music is in my opinion the best music on the planet. It not only sets the perfect tone, but it's just on average far superior than all other music created. The only game I play on mute is sports games, because that music doesn't matter, and I'd much rather just listen to my own music (I also HATE the announcers in NHL 11, I really hope they are gone for 12).

I couldn't imagine playing Zelda without actual Zelda music.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle