The Year of Silence: The Day The Music Died

Is the Music Genre Slowly Fading?

• Yes, The Music Genre took a big hit this year.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but Full-Motion Gaming will take over the Peripherals.

• No, Rock Band along with other games will keep it alive.

• No, Guitar Hero had this coming and the Music Genre is fine without it.

• Total voters

TheDiesel

Rookie
Sup Guys,

Off of the Manifesto Nick typed:

Due to continued decline in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011...

Reading this kind of saddens me knowing how Guitar Hero, for better or worse, was a franchise I enjoyed following throughout its years leading up to Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. Knowing that the Music Genre is slowly traveling from Plastic Guitars and Drums to Full-Motion Gaming; along with Rock Band being disbanded from Viacom and the latest Guitar Hero disbanding, at least for 2011, where do you feel the Genre stands in the Video Game Industry?

I honestly feel the Music Genre may be better without the milking of Guitar Hero, but at least for American audiences: Guitar Hero is what really starting the Music Sensation that brought titles like Rock Band, DJ Hero, and many of the other third-party games like Rise of the Six String and Rock Revolution. Is it time for the Music Genre to sit back and re-cooperate and take a year or two off to make a fresh, enjoyable title to revive its status in the Video Game world; or do all the titles that have been released killed any chance of originality and that feel of freshness for the future of the series that are out now? After all the titles and the peripherals and the spectrum that has been covered: where could the Music Genre go next?

/discuss

The original Guitar Hero games were clever and intuitive. As was Rock Band, and pretty much everything Harmonix has done.

Everything done by Activision since has been "HEY LETS MAKE MONEY!" So frankly, I don't give a damn.

Longo_2_guns said:
The original Guitar Hero games were clever and intuitive. As was Rock Band, and pretty much everything Harmonix has done.

Everything done by Activision since has been "HEY LETS MAKE MONEY!" So frankly, I don't give a damn.

I agree. Pretty much anything Guitar Hero based after Guitar Hero III, starting with Guitar Hero: Aerosmith and World Tour, was playing catch-up to how well Rock Band had set its feet down in the genre.

But with 3 games out for Rock Band, not including its own "Only-Band" games that it has released, what can they do now? They've got Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mic, and Keys now. What other boundary is there to cross?

TheDiesel said:
But with 3 games out for Rock Band, not including its own "Only-Band" games that it has released, what can they do now? They've got Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mic, and Keys now. What other boundary is there to cross?

Dancing.

With motion control being such a point of interest for publishers, and their success with Dance Central, I see Harmonix continuing down the dancing path, maybe even combining it with Rock Band.

used44 said:
TheDiesel said:

Dancing.

With motion control being such a point of interest for publishers, and their success with Dance Central, I see Harmonix continuing down the dancing path, maybe even combining it with Rock Band.

Cross-platforming Peripherals and Kinect at the same time? Holy Christ that would be difficult to play, and the HUD for that would be ridiculous. lol

Gonna happen. And I will be right there, rockin the bass and thrusting my hips to "FEEL LIKE MAKIN LOVE!"

I used to really like GH and RB...But then I just stopped caring, so that's where I stand on the issue.

20090422.jpg

This is when I realized things were headed downhill. I like the industry but there comes a time when innovations would only take it so far (drums, voice, keyboard). They tried to sell by the band and that was lame since you could just buy most of the good songs for a buck a piece. So it sucks, but I'm not gonna get bent out of shape.

Looks like I better hold on to my guitar hero games with guitars and sell them for $5000 on eBay to die hard collectors.

Wes said:
Looks like I better hold on to my guitar hero games with guitars and sell them for $5000 on eBay to die hard collectors.

If they keep throwing them into volcanoes, you may be on to something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod