Movie adaptation of video games that did not suck

2prv0acbm8.gif

None mentioning Doom..
It was a decent attempt, since the game itself also had a shitty story.
Perhaps not shitty, but very shallow.

I liked Hitman. There wasn't a ton of story to go off of from the game, but I thought it was a good film. I still think Jason Statham should've been Agent 47 though.

GhostTrip said:
Video games can not be turned into movies... Unless it's an interactive movie

I've seen you say that a few times but fact of the matter is, Silent Hill was a very well done horror film and a well done film.

With the exception of completely changing the story in the second half and the horrible acting, yes it was a very good movie.

If the source material has enough depth then a movie CAN be made. But stories come second in a video game, gameplay comes first.

GhostTrip said:
With the exception of completely changing the story in the second half and the horrible acting, yes it was a very good movie.

If the source material has enough depth then a movie CAN be made. But stories come second in a video game, gameplay comes first.

The story was changed around yes but it would be hard to have a video games story transfer over to film with every plot element remaining in tact and be well done. It's the same reason they change the story around in comic book based films. I mean, surely we all know how cheesy dialogue and story lines are in comics.

As for the acting, I didn't think it was half bad.

I think what you're saying isn't video games can't make good films, but rather "video games can't make good films unless the story is changed around" or "the video game has to have a lot of depth in order for the film to be good". I'm more inclined to agree with both of those as opposed to "video games can not be turned into movies." I do still love you though!

Mortal Kombat was in my opinion was one of the few movies that stayed pretty close to the original plot of the game. I think they ruined it with Armageddon, they tried to cram to many characters into one movie. Silent Hill was a pretty good movie but didn't scare me as much as the game did.

I liked both the Air and Clannad movies. Hard to stay subjective on this topic, since "good" is only a point of view ofcoarse. If you did not watch the anime and only played the games, they are really well-done.

GhostTrip said:
Video games can not be turned into movies... Unless it's an interactive movie
That would be a video game. If the game has a story, which I would imagine most do... there's no reason that story couldn't be copied into a movie script.

GhostTrip said:
Huh? You've never played Silent Hill before?

Lethean said:
I think what you're saying isn't video games can't make good films, but rather "video games can't make good films unless the story is changed around" or "the video game has to have a lot of depth in order for the film to be good". I'm more inclined to agree with both of those as opposed to "video games can not be turned into movies." I do still love you though!

I love you to Canada hater :p

You're right, I've made this statement many times before but when you repeat yourself several times you're not as passionate in what you're saying. You pretty much summed up what I meant to say.

And Masterchris, I have played Silent Hill, It's a great game. But what made it an enjoyable experience was walking around in the fog or the darkness exploring with your flashlight. It has a great story which is why the movie was successful. But instead of introducing a church full of psycho Christians couldn't we have the twist where Dahlia is actually evil and is using Rose as a pawn to get to Alyssa? I dunno, maybe you liked the change.

Video games plots feel like great stories because they enhance the experience of playing the game. But on their own it doesn't have the same effect as reaching a "checkpoint" that triggers a cutscene.

Mortal Kombat was not only a good adaptation, but a good movie in its own right. Followed pretty damn close to the plot, hired good actors, and the action scenes were pretty damn good, especially the Lui Kang Vs. Reptile fight.

Ghost, Silent Hill the movie was just based on the games, not a direct port of either game. Same way movies based on books or real-life-events are written slightly (or sometimes majorly) differently to appeal to whatever audience the filmmakers are after. Sad but true.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle