Video game parodies

Ted Wolff

Rookie
I found myself sitting in a plasma center today hearing a Dashboard Confessional song, which at first I thought was a parody of one of their songs. Since I was reading a book about video games at the time, I wondered about video game parodies.

I don't mean movies or animations that parody a video game. I mean, in the sense that Al Yankovic makes music that parodies music and Scary Movie parodies horror movies.

Are there games that in some way parody other video games?

I've been wondering for a few years now when this would start to happen.

Aside from that style of parody, several games have taken jabs at 3DRealms for taking this long to push out Duke Nukem Forever. But I think that's as far as the industry has gotten at this time.

JCD said:
The gta series has always taken the piss out of other games....

Ehhh...I'd like an example of this. I always found the GTA series to be mocking American society/entertainment (As a whole). But nothing that really spoofs other games

Didn't the Conker games parody other platformer videogames that featured mascots? Like Mario, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot...

I can't confirm this or provide an example because I didn't really play Conker, but I just thought that it did.

??

Conker Parodied just about every platformer ever made. Its a brilliant game.....really funny!

As for an example of gta parodies, look at gta 3. There was a character in one of the missions called Tanner..... He was supposedly very bad at walking, just like Tanner from Driver.....
Driver 3 then got one back on Gta by having characters called Timmy Vermincelli. These guys wore swimming aids. Tommy Verceti from Gta:VC couldn't swim....

JCD said:
As for an example of gta parodies, look at gta 3. There was a character in one of the missions called Tanner..... He was supposedly very bad at walking, just like Tanner from Driver.....
Driver 3 then got one back on Gta by having characters called Timmy Vermincelli. These guys wore swimming aids. Tommy Verceti from Gta:VC couldn't swim....

Ahh, I was not aware of these. Never got into the Driver series. Always thought Rockstar were happy going as far as cracking jokes on the media issues sensationalised during the time periods which the games took place. Like the whole Auto industry concerns of the 80s and the series of mothers killing their children in the early 90s.

Indeed, the GTA series in all its controversy, did in fact have some valid points to make about the state of America and perhaps even the rest of the world.... It was however a game that was never going to be played by many people who would realise this....

Well, GTA:SA parodied a few video games.

Two that I can remember are True Crime (A billboard in Los Santos reads True Grime: Street Cleaners) and Max Payne (The name of a glass making company)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle