Moments of 'Whoops, he he'

Tyrranis

Veteran
This is for all those times when something doesn't go right in a sort of funny way. Y'know, when something bad happens mid-game that you just can't seem to get angry about as it was so funny.

For me, it was Forza 2.

Now, before I had played Forza 2 I had only played racing games on the PS2. The 360 was still new to me, and I hadn't gotten fully used to the switch in controls.

For example, in a PS2 racing game the X button is the accelerator, with the circle button being the handbrake and the square button as the regular brake 'n reverse. In Forza, the triggers are the accelerator/brake 'n reverse and the A button (which is in the same place grip-wise as the PS2's X button) is the handbrake.

I think you know where this is going.

I decided to try the game out with a Time Trial first. So, with a rolling start, I hold the A button, expecting to shoot off the line in my super-fast car. I cross the starting line...

...and with a mighty screech I end up sliding head-first into the wall.

When I played MGS3, I beat it 6 times before discovering that you don't have to manually aim at enemies.

call of duty 4 and halo 3, i played halo religiously up until my purchase of cod

being the hardcore player i am, i feel hardcore mode is for me, friendly fire on and what not

theres a pack of us firing at a building, unfortunatley the reload buttons on halo3 and cod4 arent the same, and with one swoop i pull the pin on the grenade, panicking with a cooked grenade I aim to toss it out the window, well damn if in my frenzy I didn't notice i wasn't lined up correctly, and now no one wants to be on my team::(

My favourite has to go to a friend of mine, playing Final Fantasy 7. We were trying to get through the game, not only in one sitting, but also as fast as possible. We managed to get to the final save point, in 16 hours, 50 minutes. Superb effort, in my opinion. Blitzing through the first two battle sections, Jenova and Bizarro Sephiroth stood no chance. After about halfway through the battle, Safer Sephirtoth casts Supernova, taking character health to critical. A Megalixir was used, and all was well, until the "Recovery" appeared over Sephiroth instead of the party.

To add insult to injury, later on, perhaps a month or two afterwards, I was clearing my PS1 Memory Card, and generally base my RPG deletes on the length of time played, I deleted a game that was only 16 hours and 50 minutes in, forgetting it was essentially a complete game in terms of story.

Or the time I was playing through Pokemon Blue, trading with a friend who had Red, to get all 150, and he gipped me by messing up a trade. Somehow, he traded me one of the fossil Pokemon after it had evolved, so he had 150, and I only had 149. And I didn't have anyone else to trade with, so I was stuck, in Pokemon purgatory, incapable of going to that guy in Celadon City and getting my goddamn certificate!

After I beat FFVIII - i went to my cousins house and realized that there was a trigger button on the gun blade that let you fire your gun and attack with the sword at the same time....

....not a big deal - but woulda saved me some time.

Here is old school.

I got stuck on the main island of Myst because I thought that was the only level.

I then began playing around with the constellations in the library, and then the rocket ship and the like, which lead me to my first world.

Fun times, it's one of the few games that engrossed me and took me ages to complete.

UrbanMasque said:
After I beat FFVIII - i went to my cousins house and realized that there was a trigger button on the gun blade that let you fire your gun and attack with the sword at the same time....

You know, there's a mid battle tutorial that tells you that.

thetank said:
UrbanMasque said:

i just pressed X right thru it - thinking "ok...n00b part,n00b tutorial, n00b n00b n00b... when can i start the game?!"

Ironically, I was playing one of my friends who was really good at MGS:pO, and he told me to only use fps view so you can get easy headshots.

Final Fantasy X. Got up to the part where you get Rikku without leveling my characters. Guided them along the sphere grid not knowing you had to activate the spheres.

UrbanMasque said:
thetank said:
UrbanMasque said:

i just pressed X right thru it - thinking "ok...n00b part,n00b tutorial, n00b n00b n00b... when can i start the game?!"

First time I played through, I didn't understand the Junction System. "Create unique characters? This is just non-shiny Materia!" How wrong was I? Next time I played through, after having it explained to me, Squall was doing 4000 damage critical hits. Before the end of disc 1. At level 15.

F-Zero GX, in the story mode, chapter 7, I was racing it for the 3rd hour, same chapter, and I was knocked back a few places on the last lap. I panicked but kept on going, only to hit 2 mines and rocket forward to 1st place.
I had never had that kind of luck before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle