Mechwarrior Reboot

There has been a buzz in the past few days following this tweet from the head of Piranha Games: "All #MechWarrior fans should start following @russ_bullock and @bryanekman spread the word."

A couple of years ago, Smith and Tinker purchased the rights to the Mechwarrior franchise from Microsoft after the disbanding of FASA Studios, the designers of the Mechassault games for the Xbox. There was a lot of speculation that another mech game was in development, especially after this gameplay video was shown in 2009, but practically nothing has been released to the public since then. Just wanted to let you know that this game may finally be coming to fruition.

Supposedly the Mechwarrior reboot has been in development for a while, but was suspended due to legal disputes over the use of certain Mech models. It's now been settled and the developers are going full steam ahead. Russ Bullock said on Twitter: "Hang in there #MechWarrior fans, but take a deep breath it may be another month or so." They've also recently updated their page for the game: http://www.piranha-games.com/MechWarrior.html

Anyone else as excited as I am for one of the most awesome franchises in history to make a comeback?

I've been waiting on this for so long!

I want to go back to the customization of the MechWarrior 2/3 era of MechWarrior games.
I want the simulated feel of the same.
I want the mission structure of MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries.
I want gritty, realistic like graphics. Not the cartoony look of the MechAssault/Mechwarrior 4 set of games.
I want the next game to be more hardcore, close to the rules of the board games, if I so choose it to be.
- Yes, that means an Atlas being able to Melee grapple with weaker 'Mechs (Commando users beware!).
I want dual joystick and foodpedal support. Give me that Mechwarrior simulated cockpit feel!
Storywise, I would love to see a remake of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. Vague stories on the rim of powerful pirate bands which turns out to be the first stages of the Clan invasion, while taking contracts for the various House Lords.
- Highly unlikely, I hear they want to revert back to pre-Clan units and 'Mechs and spin the series into a new direction.

Multiplayer wise: Not only 'Mechs attacking each other. Give us massive battlefields (MMO like?) with Aerospace fighters, tanks, 'Mech's and infantry. An Inner Sphere map where players/units can conquer planets on behalf of their House Lords in a consistent 'world' domination kind of game.

And most of all; none of this MechWarrior: Dark Age crap.

I kinda wished they showed more ground troops in the main game just to show you the scale of the mech compared to a person... plus it's fun stepping on people.

cyberjim2000 said:
They haven't announced anything yet but Hawken is being made on the Unreal engine so I'm guessing all three.

Oh, so it'll have a lot of graphical issues on PS3 then. Cool. :D

Mechwarrior was one of my favorite games for a long time. I'm hoping they can get it done and that it's as good as it was before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle