LOTR Extended Blu-ray

the movies are too long as it is, and if the blu ray quality is as poor as the first batch of LOTR blu rays to come out, it'll hardly be worth it.

I have friends who would bum this news. They have LOTR Risk...stuff like that. If they posted here, you'd be in a deep discussion right now my friend!

41127704-73a6-4713-a271-5119386d41c9.jpg

Dorks.

When the regular versions of the movie are too long, the extended versions just make it longer. Hell, in theatres, RoTK had about four logical ending points that they simply passed up, it was like I was watching the extended version in the theatrical cut. This is just a money grab by the cast and crew, waiting a couple years and putting the same thing out again. And this isn't even that great a trilogy. Now Star Wars on the other hand...

schimmel said:
When the regular versions of the movie are too long, the extended versions just make it longer. Hell, in theatres, RoTK had about four logical ending points that they simply passed up, it was like I was watching the extended version in the theatrical cut. This is just a money grab by the cast and crew, waiting a couple years and putting the same thing out again. And this isn't even that great a trilogy. Now Star Wars on the other hand...
Yeah, Return of the King's original cut length is why I haven't watched any of those movies since I saw them in the theaters.

People will marathon a whole season of Game of Thrones (or any other TV show for that matter) but freak out (in the bad way) at a 4 hr. cut of LotR?

C'mon now....

There's usually an option on which cut you want to play right? I'll buy this because I don't own any of the LOTR on Blu-Ray, plus I've never seen any of the extended cuts, so if I have the option I'll watch them once maybe.

GiftedMonkey said:
People will marathon a whole season of Game of Thrones (or any other TV show for that matter) but freak out (in the bad way) at a 4 hr. cut of LotR?

C'mon now....
It has nothing to do with how long the movie is. It has to do with the fact that most of it is completely unnecessary. RotK was soooooooo bloated. Extending it won't help that. It'll just make it more bloated.

I'll just say it. I don't think the Lord of the Rings books are any good either. There's entirely too much exposition and not enough actual doing. I applaud Tolkien for creating a world, but I have no interest in EVERY SINGLE FUCKING RELATIVE BILBO HAS GODDAMIT SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT.

I had the same reaction during RotK in the theater. I just kept thinking over AND OVER AGAIN OH GOD THEY'RE GOING TO END IT RIGHT? WHAT THE FUCK WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST END THE FUCKING MOVIE? WHAT THE FUCK.

So when RotK got the Oscar, it wasn't because it was the best movie. It was "hey we have to recognize what this guy did" but of the three Two Towers was the best and I haven't even watched that movie since the theaters either.

^
lol they're not for everyone. I'll admit the books are long. The Two Towers ends where Sam defeats Shelob the giant spider and Frodo is taken away. Which results in alot of unnecessary story telling in Return of the King. I would've been happier with a shorter book, but that sort of underwhelms the story i guess. Peter Jackson made the right move by bringing Shelob and the Gollum story arc into ROTK.

Also, all three movies were filmed at the same time so i'd say it was worthy of winning an oscar in every category it was nominated for. When you look at what Hollywood has been pumping out, Lord of the Rings was without a doubt the best movie experience of the last decade. There were alot of good popcorn flicks these past 10 years but to be honest, nothing really compares.

As for the length in the films, They're long because the films tried to fit in as much from the books as they could, which is the respectable thing to do for the fans. Most of The Two Towers was carried over to Return of The King so it's not that bad really. But if you're not a fan of the books and you don't care to see more then you can watch the theatrical version. Meh, guess haters gotta hate, lol.

The Lord of the Rings was awesome, over time the special effects will look dated but the story will always be timeless. Speaking of effects, the first time I saw Gollum in The Two Towers I was blown away. That character was far more impressive than any CGI character in Star Wars, and I love Star Wars.

I remember needing to piss so bad during RotK and it angered me that the ending started, then again, and again, then once more.

^Hahaha! That's exactly what happened to me too. I missed the very end of the last film...the party part

RotK is one of two movies I've ever fallen asleep in the theater to, the other being the 2nd Matrix.

Haters gonna hate.

I think LoTR was film making at it's finest. As for the extended cuts, the Two Towers, the weakest of the series, was enhanced through the extended cut. That says a lot about the added content when a film that is considered the weakest of the series is made better by adding to it. RoTK was still extremely enjoyable with the added run time as well. Sure, they could have knocked 15 minutes off the ending but for the fan, it was worth it.

Not entirely sure I see it as a cash scheme either. I doubt the original and extended cuts plus bonus features would be the best choice. The set would be like 15 discs long thus driving the price way up. This way at least viewers get to choose if they want to spend money on both products or just one.

Can't wait for The Hobbit!

PS. I received LoTR for Christmas, the books anyways, and have not been able to get into them as much as the movies. Tom Bombadil kinda killed it for me. I'll give it another go though as I feel I owe that to my mother since it was a gift.

danielrbischoff said:
GiftedMonkey said:

C'mon now....
It has nothing to do with how long the movie is. It has to do with the fact that most of it is completely unnecessary. RotK was soooooooo bloated. Extending it won't help that. It'll just make it more bloated.

I'll just say it. I don't think the Lord of the Rings books are any good either. There's entirely too much exposition and not enough actual doing. I applaud Tolkien for creating a world, but I have no interest in EVERY SINGLE f****** RELATIVE BILBO HAS GODDAMIT SHUT THE f*** UP ABOUT IT.

I had the same reaction during RotK in the theater. I just kept thinking over AND OVER AGAIN OH GOD THEY'RE GOING TO END IT RIGHT? WHAT THE f*** WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST END THE f****** MOVIE? WHAT THE f***.

So when RotK got the Oscar, it wasn't because it was the best movie. It was "hey we have to recognize what this guy did" but of the three Two Towers was the best and I haven't even watched that movie since the theaters either.
This is the worst post I've ever seen. Everything about this post is wrong. The books are fantastic and the movies weren't nearly as long as they could have been. They left a lot of the content out and I would have enjoyed a 6 hour long ROTK any day. And really, two towers as the best? It wasn't the best book of the three and certainly wasn't the best movie of the three.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle