L.A. Noire

danielrbischoff said:
Whatever. I hate the game. Congrats to anyone else who can still enjoy it after finishing it. The ending is just atrocious.
I agree and I wasted my money on the season pass :cry:

Yeah I bought the DLC cases (maybe thru the season pass, I can't remember) and I never went back to play them. I think I started one of them, but never finished it or touched the other. I even restarted the missions, playing through them slowly and perfectly to 5 Star them and I quit that effort early too.

It's not often that my completionist/achievement whore attitude isn't enough to compel me to stick with a game.

Well I just finished it late last night, and my overall feeling is that it's a game that does some things amazingly well and other things abysmally. On the whole I enjoyed most of the game, but by the end I was glad it was over and I doubt I'll play it again.

Also I find it highly amusing how Dan's opinion has flipped so drastically over the course of a year.

Spoilers, obviously....

To be honest, the game has many flaws so unless you're a big fan of the genre it's hard to give it some love.

I feel the game peaked during the homicide cases. I really loved that chapter of the game. But if it ended there, gamers would have complained it was too short.

The story also pulls a few punchers to the player and not a lot of people like that. People don't like to invest their time into a protagonist who turns out to be a hypocritical douche. But it wasn't Phelp's story, it was Jack Kelso's story. We just didn't know it until we got there.

I replay every game I own. But with LA Noir I found myself only wanting to replay the homicide chapter. I still think it was a good game but they could have done so much more with the free roam instead of making it so linear. They also could have fleshed out the pacing in the story so it flows better without feeling too repetitive.

The_Joker said:
And holy crap is that ending ever abrupt.
Yup!

*BANG BANG*
Rockstar: Hey guys, it's time to finish the game.
Team Bondi: But we really want to add this other desk of shitty cases and gameplay.
Rockstar: Fuck it, if you're really set on it you can sell it as DLC. Put car chases here, here, and here. Have Phelps scream like a little girl once and repeat that as often as possible in game.
Team Bondi: OK, but what about this horrible gameplay loop we have, don't we want to draw that out too?
Rockstar: No, just kill off the main character. RTFC and be out by the first of next month.

Admittedly, they nailed the feel of the time. I think that's probably what got it the good score initially. The look, the feel, the facial mo-cap...and that's about it.

Bretimus_v2 said:
Admittedly, they nailed the feel of the time. I think that's probably what got it the good score initially. The look, the feel, the facial mo-cap...and that's about it.

The game really doesn't start to show how bad it is until you've played through a good portion of it. It's only once you've made it through about half that you realize how bad it can be.

The_Joker said:
Also is it just me or is every single brawl segment winnable by mashing punch over and over?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I think the worst part of the game was the fighting and gunplay. It is a nice break from the rest of the game, but it feels stiff, and a bit unrealistic.

Yeah I found myself longing for the GTA4 style of gunfighting.

I feel like the interrogation/evidence finding mechanic of LA Noire will be done in the future in a better game. And I'd be pretty excited for that game.

The_Joker said:
Yeah I found myself longing for the GTA4 style of gunfighting.

I feel like the interrogation/evidence finding mechanic of LA Noire will be done in the future in a better game. And I'd be pretty excited for that game.

Yeah, LA 2012 which releases in 2042.

So I just picked this game up the other day on the steam sale and played for an hour last night. Holy shit this game has an amazing first impression. Hopefully it keeps it up but on pc with settings maxed sometimes it seems like the characters are actually actors. It seems so real at points. I'm looking forward to finishing it. Love the entire feel of it so far!

Guernica said:
sometimes it seems like the characters are actually actors. It seems so real at points. I'm looking forward to finishing it. Love the entire feel of it so far!
They are actors and actresses :wink: You'll also be disappointed live everyone else. I still feel Duke Nukem Forever was the biggest disappointment of this generation, because of the long time frame.

UghRochester said:
Guernica said:
sometimes it seems like the characters are actually actors. It seems so real at points. I'm looking forward to finishing it. Love the entire feel of it so far!
They are actors and actresses :wink: You'll also be disappointed live everyone else. I still feel Duke Nukem Forever was the biggest disappointment of this generation, because of the long time frame.

Well I guess I mean it seemed like I was watching a movie sometimes rather than a game with great lip-syncing.

UghRochester said:
Guernica said:

That's your own fault...

Did this topic get bumbed cause i'm playing it religiously lately? I liked it, it wasn't suppose to be a shoot em up, brawling game. You play L.A PD's finest. In a way it was kinda like heavy rain, taking it's own direction instead of the usual.

I ended up selling my copy after getting halfway through the game when it first came out. However, I just purchased it for $5 on Steam this week and I'm loving it. I'm playing it slow and really caring about solving the mysteries rather than thinking about how they have no impact...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle