GR 2013 GOTY - Rayman Legends vs. Tomb Raider

Status
Not open for further replies.

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the Game Revolution 2013 Game of the Year showdown!
Enjoy some well-written defenses of some of the year's best games, then vote on which game you want to see advance!
Today's round one match-up is: Rayman Legends vs. Tomb Raider

eJXSv8J.gif

Why is Rayman Legends the best game of 2013?

Have you ever had that moment in your gaming room, gaming chair and/or box apartment where the sun brightens up and beams in gently through the curtains on your face just as you realise - I love this game. This happens when you play Rayman Legends.
A light-hearted, platforming, fun for all ages, adventure in different worlds! A tutorial forest, a swamp full of hilarious bullfrogs with lasers, an underwater factory (with return of the frogs)...and much more diverse lands to explore. And let's not forget the comedy in the game. Not stomach splitting, but rather a constant tickle - perhaps the perfect amount.
It doesn't have the strongest story in the world, but in a gaming community where the plot is a big deal, Rayman Legends proves that the gameplay can actually be better than the plot twist. Also - music levels! ...Get the game and you'll see what I mean.

It was originally developed as a Wii U exclusive. Did porting Rayman Legends to every console under the sun harm its quality?

Absolutely not, Rayman Origins was a big favourite among most gamers, and sold a lot of units. When news came out that there was another coming, people rejoiced...until they saw Wii-U Exclusive at the end! But the producers saw the complaints, and listened to the community. I think developers that listen to the community is one of the best things they can do to earn respect. Plus, they would've sold a lot and made quite the profit! (You can check the numbers!) I believe giving more people the chance to play this game is no negative issue what-so-ever.

How is Rayman Legends better than Tomb Raider?

Choose the game, not the boobs. One word - Character! Rayman Legends has tonnes of it, Tomb Raider has none - especially now that her breasts got reduced!
Platforming has been left behind a bit in the gaming world, but Rayman reignites the flame once again. Making it a one-of-a-kind right now. Tomb Raider has many aspects that are commonly seen, the manouvering of Assassin's Creed...the bow sniping of any general third-person shooter...and some other third thing. The attraction of Lara really is the only thing Tomb Raider has to offer! Choose the game, not the boobs.

Tomb Raider is brought to us by Lethean!

9rrcPud.gif

Why is Tomb Raider the best game of 2013?

As many fans of the series will probably agree, there was almost as much skepticism as there was hope that the new Tomb Raider would deliver. Almost no one knew what to expect and when the game launched it's safe to say I was pretty surprised and impressed with the outcome. With the original Tomb Raider, it was easy to draw parallels between Lara Croft and Indiana Jones, but somehow she managed to move out from Indy's shadow. It could be the fact that the medium was different or that she had double D breasts and a waist line that would make Mass Effect's Garrus jealous. Coincidentally, in the series lowest points another adventurer stole our hearts (and took our money) and that was Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series. It seemed Lara once again was fighting for a place at the table, this time in the very same realm. How can this new game offer something original for not only an aging franchise but for a genre that so recently found it's new King? (Or Queen.)

Thankfully Crystal Dynamics knew what they were doing. They removed Lara's implants - Which, let's face it, they had to be. No way that bust is natural with that body frame - and focused on the story. And what a story it was. You weren't Lara Croft the rich, busty adventurer. You were an intelligent, ambitious college student thrown into a desperate game of wits and forced to fight for your survival in harsh conditions, against the savagery of man. You were beaten, dragged through mud and clinging to the life every step of the way. For the first time as Lara Croft, you were vulnerable. Crystal Dynamics came under fire for the controversial QTE near the start of the game where an enemy is running is hand along Lara's leg, implying impending rape. But they did not back down. Not only that but they proved people jumped the gun - There was no rape. CD managed to invoke a feeling of disgust and disdain without going for exploitation. They stirred controversy, touched on a sensitive subject matter, elicited an emotional response, all without turning to exploitation. Take note, Hollywood. And that was the entirety of the game. A game full of darkness, despair, hope, grit, survival and, not just for Lara but also the series, and even gaming in general - growth.

Did Tomb Raider reestablish Lara Croft as an interesting character or is she just a shallow vessel for interesting gameplay?

The new Lara is a very interesting character. She is real. She is flawed. She's unsure of herself and it shows. She isn't there as a piece of meat for the player to stare at. She isn't relying strictly on firearms but also her wit and cunning. She is a scared, frightened college student who is thrown in a perilous situation and forced to adapt and grow and survive an ordeal not many would. In short, she is a strong willed survivor. If any complaint could be had it is that the journey to get there felt a little sudden. Within a few hours she has accepted her new role and goes from killing rabbits for food to being an excellent marksman killing humans with no emotional response to the act.

How is Tomb Raider better than Rayman Legends?

While Legends is a great game, is it really anything more than Rayman Origins 2.0? The artwork is better yes but it features nearly the same identical gameplay. While the game is great it really offers nothing innovative except for on the Wii U which had many people feeling like that innovation was an annoyance more than anything. Legends is a fun game but it is important to realize it's just that - platforming fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Continue the discussion below and vote for which game you want to see advance to round two.
PLEASE PUT YOUR VOTES IN BOLD

Thanks!

gooooOOOOOOO Rayman!

Rayman Legends

I really have no argument as to why Legends is better than Tomb Raider. That question was hard. Plus, I forgot to mention the artwork - thanks Colin hahaha! So Dan when can I write reviews?

MattAY said:
Not stomach splitting, but rather a constant tickle - perhaps the perfect amount.
Rayman Legends proves that the gameplay can actually be better than the plot twist.
Also - music levels!
Choose the game, not the boobs.
Lethean said:
college student thrown into a desperate game of wits and forced to fight for your survival in harsh conditions
you were vulnerable
all without turning to exploitation
not just for Lara but also the series, and even gaming in general - growth
Lethean's point is basically that Tomb Raider (2013) just isn't about the boobs at all. He's got my vote: Tomb Raider

Lethean, our game war is being left in the dust here.

LARA CROFT SUCKS!

Yeah, I said it.

Seriously, I've never played it. Is it honestly GOTY material? Hope you realise that I'm closely scanning the Live Gold deals for this!

MattAY said:
Lethean, our game war is being left in the dust here.

LARA CROFT SUCKS!

Yeah, I said it.

Seriously, I've never played it. Is it honestly GOTY material? Hope you realise that I'm closely scanning the Live Gold deals for this!

It really is. You know how people chose a game to vote for GoTY because all the others are gone? This isn't one of them. It has the anoying QTE yes, and the combat may feel slightly regurgitated but it's the story that sets it apart. Yeah yeah, The Last of Us..Blah blah blah. But Tomb Raider came out before it and showcased that gritty storytelling and also managed to sneak in some hidden adventure moments reminiscent of the original Tomb Raider where you raided actual tombs complete with timed puzzles and everything!

Anyways I hope this made sense. I',m drunk and can barely type. Goodnight.

VOTE TOMB RAIDER!

PS. MattAy...Is your accent as sexy as Lara's? Call me so I can find iout ;)

That was a joke. Not drunk talk.

MattAY said:
Lara Croft does not suck. Not once. This is the game where it came so early in the year, you just know you're gonna forget about it. If you asked me which game would be my Game of the Year in March, I probably would have said Tomb Raider (or Fire Emblem)

Well in March, the competition was Tomb Raider and the awful DmC reboot.

It's not much of a choice.

Just downloaded DMC off of plus. Played a couple minutes and...meh? It's just not my style.

That being said. RAYMAN. There needs to be a popular kid friendly game that sells well among adults. This is it.

I'm too much of a Tomb Raider fan to vote for Rayman even though it has a huge following (why I'll never know).

Lara Croft it is.

I've never played Rayman but I honestly believe I would have enjoyed Tomb Raider more because I loved that game.

Tomb Raider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle