Games you love from series you don't

Longo_2_guns

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Are there any games out there you absolutely love, despite not loving the rest of the series they're from? I don't mean so much that you hate the series, quite the opposite really. Just that, is there one breakout game that to you is better than all the rest?

For me, the example that comes to mind is Wind Waker. While I liked the other Zelda games, that's about it. I wouldn't really call myself a Zelda fan in general. They're fun little dungeon action/adventure games, whereas Wind Waker is, to me, the epitome of adventure. A ship, 50 islands, and a can do attitude, and endless possibilities. Also, pirates.

So how about you? What is the game that breaks out from the rest of the series for you?

Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda, so I'd have to agree with you there.

I think I feel the same for MGS. Whilst 2, 3 and Peace Walker were good (havent played the 4th, but hve seen it), the first had the most impact on me in terms of story and immersion. Also - Ninja.

I'm in love with Silent Hill 2, I'm totally down with the first game and can appreciate the third game, but the rest of the series is shit.

Well, Shattered Memories was great only because it told an awesome story.

Mass Effect 1 probably counts.

2 is shit and 3, while being a good game, is let down by the last 15 minutes and subsequently brings the entire series down a notch.

Also, Need for Speed: Porsche. I'm fairly meh about the rest of the games in the series, but that game was absolutely awesome. The PC has vehicle upgrades, but the PS1 version has free roam.
Has very good physics for it's age too. Better than, say, TDU2.

madster111 said:
Mass Effect 1 probably counts.

2 is shit and 3, while being a good game, is let down by the last 15 minutes and subsequently brings the entire series down a notch.
I'll agree with that. I don't think I've been quiet about how I feel about the Mass Effect series following the first game, so I won't reiterate.

De-Ting said:
You could also take this topic in the inverse direction; games you hate from series you love.
Mentioned it in my previous post, but:
Test Drive Unlimited 2.
It's just worse than the 1st game in every way, except graphics.

Also, not so much 'hate' as dislike - Pokemon Black & White.
I could just never get into it. I'm sorry, but for all the gameplay improvements in that generation, the pokemon are simply shit and it's continued on with the problem of Diamond/Pearl/HGSS - being slower. Seriously, the only way i can play those games these days is through an emulator set to 150% speed. It's ridiculous - go play Sapphire/Ruby and see the time difference between, say, walking through grass and having a battle commence and the battle ending. DPP/HGSS are just slower, and Black/White are even worse. I'm really hoping X & Y are going to speed back up a little bit.

Oh, yeah, and obviously: SimCity - the newest one. I love the earlier simcities, and then this abysmal mess comes along and attempts to ruin an awesome series.

madster111 said:
De-Ting said:
You could also take this topic in the inverse direction; games you hate from series you love.
Mentioned it in my previous post, but:
Test Drive Unlimited 2.
It's just worse than the 1st game in every way, except graphics.

Also, not so much 'hate' as dislike - Pokemon Black & White.
I could just never get into it. I'm sorry, but for all the gameplay improvements in that generation, the pokemon are simply shit and it's continued on with the problem of Diamond/Pearl/HGSS - being slower. Seriously, the only way i can play those games these days is through an emulator set to 150% speed. It's ridiculous - go play Sapphire/Ruby and see the time difference between, say, walking through grass and having a battle commence and the battle ending. DPP/HGSS are just slower, and Black/White are even worse. I'm really hoping X & Y are going to speed back up a little bit.

Oh, yeah, and obviously: SimCity - the newest one. I love the earlier simcities, and then this abysmal mess comes along and attempts to ruin an awesome series.

Black and white 1 and 2 are my favorites in the series since gold and silver.

Green_Lantern said:
Black and white 1 and 2 are my favorites in the series since gold and silver.
Honestly, i just don't know if i'd start to like them or not. I just can't bring myself to get past the start of the game when looking at the abysmal pokemon design and feeling how slow it is.

I might give it another go later, actually, and see what it's like at 150% or even 200%. Maybe i'll be able to deal, then, and get myself some previous gen pokemon to enjoy the story.

De-Ting said:
The bigger problem with that is that every single series has the one game that isn't good. So it's much easier to just point out the game that everyone didn't like.

I like the Pokemon franchise, but I'm not that big of a fan. However, I absolutely love Pokemon: Gold.

The Tales series. I've never played any of the games, except for Tales of Symphonia on the Game Cube, which is one of my favourite RPGs.

Neverwinter Nights. I loved the first one, hate the second one. Everything was a step backwards except for graphics. None of the expansions made it any better.

Deus Ex: Invisible War, I'm not going to go into detail here.

Mass 2 and 3, for the reasons stated above.

Dragon Age 2, I don't really need to state why, it's kind of obvious.

Diablo 3.... Heh.

Fallout Tactics, and Brotherhood of Steel, blah!

Fable 3, it started off with a great concept, become the King (Or Queen). Then, suddenly, it turns into "Make enough money to stop bad things from happening".

Oblivion, I like Skyrim more, and Morrowind. I never really got into Oblivion, it never clicked with me.

There are others I could list, but I can't think of them at the moment.

danielrbischoff said:
Hi Necro. Sorry they scared you off last time you posted for a while.

Thanky! And d'awww... they didn't scare me off. I just got the impression I wasn't popular, so I stuck to the comments on the articles. I tend to avoid places where I get that vibe, just causes less friction. This place is a tight-knit community and I didn't want to make waves.

I'm trying to get back into the forums, I hope it goes better than last time. I promise not to mess up/get peoples threads locked/etc this time. :shock:

As for the topic, I'd probably say the original Modern Warfare is the one game I really liked from the franchise. If it were MW1's campaign and MW2's multiplayer it'd be the perfect Call of Duty campaign.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle