Bill S.978: What's the Prob?

Mistaza

Rookie
Can anyone explain what's going on with this? I don't really have any knowledge of how U.S legislature works, or what the whole issue is with this.

A quick search says it means anyone caught pirating copyrighted material may receive up to a 5 year prison sentence and a fine of $2,500.

Ninjas are so much better than pirates.

This will be interesting to see what this will do to "Let's Play" videos, speed runs, and amateur video game reviews.

De-Ting said:
Isn't streaming things illegally pirating?

No. Pirating is a more general term. Streaming applies only to media streams, not downloads like torrents. This law would, for example, make it a felony to watch copyrighted material on youtube, even if you had no warning that it was copyrighted.

That's a pretty big fucking deal if you ask me.

Is anyone else seeing the very worrying trend the world has been following for the last few years?

We're not gonna be able to shit without our governments permission soon, and telling your friend what happens at the end of that movie will be 15 years of jail time.

NickKmet said:
De-Ting said:
Isn't streaming things illegally pirating?

No. Pirating is a more general term. Streaming applies only to media streams, not downloads like torrents. This law would, for example, make it a felony to watch copyrighted material on youtube, even if you had no warning that it was copyrighted.

That's a pretty big f****** deal if you ask me.

Surely not to watch it. To upload it, obviously, or to download it. They're just making it the same situation as with music downloads right?

@madster111

Funny you should mention that.
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_147_ ... s-riaa_p2/

Hopefully #2 doesn't happen in real life.

@MattAY
From my understanding, now that I did more research, was that yes, it would be a felony to upload such videos, as the bill was more likely designed to stop people from uploading T.V episodes, full movies, or music videos; all of which are copyrighted material. It's just an unfortunate interpretation of the wording that affects videos of games.

However, the line "public performances by electronic means" is really concerning, mainly because it affects more than just video game footage.

MattAY said:
Surely not to watch it. To upload it, obviously, or to download it. They're just making it the same situation as with music downloads right?

Technically, when you stream content, you are downloading it. That's one of the reasons this is a big deal. You could literally be charged with a felony just for watching it yourself. That's how poorly this bill is worded.

As mistaza pointed out, the phrase "public performances by electronic means" has a lot of implications in terms of any media, anywhere.

Madster is pretty much right. The attempts by the entertainment industry to criminalize a lot of this stuff are indicative of the industry's inability to adapt to the internet as a whole. Basically a bunch of last resort, extreme measures that they think will somehow save their profits. Bunch of shit if you ask me. Most people won't understand what this law means, and most people will continue to break it if it ever passes.

Um...

There is nothing to worry about because even if this passes (which it won't since it's worded horribly anyway and will never pass in congress) the companies will have to choose if they will enforce it, and 9 times out of 10 they don't give a damn anyway and won't enforce anything.

So there is very little to worry about.

LinksOcarina said:
Um...

There is nothing to worry about because even if this passes (which it won't since it's worded horribly anyway and will never pass in congress) the companies will have to choose if they will enforce it, and 9 times out of 10 they don't give a damn anyway and won't enforce anything.

So there is very little to worry about.

The RIAA spent years suing people for downloading the equivalent of $20 in songs, always winning millions in judgments. It took them years to figure out it made them look like assholes and that it did nothing to combat piracy. You think the comparative organizations in film and television will figure it out any faster?

But yeah, probably won't pass.

yeah, because technically everyone is already breaking the law when they do lets plays or use game footage and music in videos without compensation. People have been breaking the law for years now, and the bill only tightens the reigns a bit more than it should. So nothing will change.

^It could make a minimal difference if they don't start actually cracking down on pirating. If they do there could be a ton of people sent to prison or fined in the near future. I'm assuming "copyrighted material" translates to music as well as games and movies, and music is pirated by a huge population of people in proportion to other copyrighted material. If this law passes and the government simultaneously starts to actively scan or shut down torrent sites/crack down on torrent users, there could be a lot of people getting fucked.

LinksOcarina said:
yeah, because technically everyone is already breaking the law when they do lets plays or use game footage and music in videos without compensation. People have been breaking the law for years now, and the bill only tightens the reigns a bit more than it should. So nothing will change.

I found this video from Notch's blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8

Pretty much explains the bill itself and the impact Let's Play videos have on the industry. I personally don't watch them since I don't like to be spoiled but people like them, I guess.

cyberjim2000 said:
LinksOcarina said:

I found this video from Notch's blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8

Pretty much explains the bill itself and the impact Let's Play videos have on the industry. I personally don't watch them since I don't like to be spoiled but people like them, I guess.

Pretty good explanation of what it does, and why it's pretty bad in its current state.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle