What's the scariest game you've ever played?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
With Alien: Isolation releasing just last week and The Evil Within coming out this week (not to mention that it's gonna be Halloween in about two weeks time) what's the scariest game you've ever played and why? Is it one of these two games, or something different?

I haven't played either of these games yet but for me at the moment, it's ZombiU for the Wii U.

That game was terrifying. It was dark, gritty, zombies were genuinely a threat especially when there was more than one, ammunition was scarce and if you died, that was it, game over. Sure you got to play as another survivor, but you lose all your stuff! Getting stuff out of your backpack was a bit risky at times as well.

I have a feeling Alien: Isolation may take ZombiU's place as my "scariest game", so what's yours?

I'm not really into horror games, so I have not played a lot of them, but out of the ones I have played, Silent Hill 1&2 are still the creepiest to me.

No games to me are scary. It's just that sudden loud ear piercing clash of instruments that makes me jump.

Back in the day it was Silent Hill 3 - easily.

I remember being scared shitless at Nightmare Creatures too. I was about 9 then though I think. Or 10? I forget!

I don't know if I can think of just one so I'm going to list them in chronological order of first played.

1. Phantasmagoria
2. Resident Evil 1 - 3. Seriously that big ass guy stalking you in part 3 was intense.
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Fatal Frame
5. Aliens Vs Predator 2000
6. Outlast
7. Silent Hill playable trailer
8. Alien Isolation

I'm sure there are some that I've missed or forgotten about.

Some I should play:

Clocktower
Parasite Eve
Nightmare Creatures
Amnesia - Played about 30 minutes of it. Nothing too scary....Yet.

Did someone say top 10?

#10 P.T.
While I didn't play the Silent Hill demo, it was terrifying just watching it. Of course I watched it in the dark at 2am which helped a lot. I can't even imagine how friggin scary the actual game is going to be

#9 Clock Tower 3
I never played the originals but I remember this one was pretty brutal. Some of the people you had to hide from were seriously f'ed up.

#8 Bioshock
The underwater world of Rapture provided the perfect atmosphere for a horror game. But I don't think it's as terrifying as others claim it to be. Still scary, just not as bad as the others on the list.

#7 The Suffering
A haunted prison. That's pretty much all that needs to be said. How can you go wrong there?

#6 Eternal Darkness
One of those games I feel is underrated and often over looked because it's on the GameCube. But this game fucks with you head. Literally. OK maybe not literally, that would be gross.

#5 Siren
I remember getting this game because I liked the concept. Playing as several players and switching from one to another to reach an exit, sounds cool. But then I played it and the minute I had to subdue an undead shibito, I knew I was going to need a diaper.

#4 Outlast
"Come over to my place" my friend said. "I have the PS4" my friend said. "You have got to play Outlast" my friend said... What a dick... I played this thing and I was scared shirtless. I hope one day I'll have the balls to go back over and beat it.

#3 Resident Evil Remake
While the first Resident Evil game pathed the way for survival horror to hit the mainstream, it was the remake that really shines and stands the test of time. You were almost a JILL SANDWICH!

#2 Fatal Frame
Man, I had no idea what I was getting into when I got this game. A schoolgirl who traps ghosts with a magical camera? Are you kidding me? Well after 5 minutes of playing Fatal Frame you will understand that they are not kidding you, and this game will scare the shit out of you. Most people will say the second is better, but personally I knew what to expect with part 2. Part 1 gets it for the shock value of how scary that game turned out to be.

#1 Silent Hill 2
Obviously, what else would I pick? SH2 took everything that was creepy about the first game and completely reinvented itself with an entirely different story. This game has been analyzed to death, almost to the point of The Shinning. And Pyramid Head has become a staple in the SH franchise. It's creepy from beginning to end, almost like David Lynch and David Cronenberg got together to make a video game. It's my personal favorite.

P.T scared the shit out of me.
Resident Evil Revelations was the first time I got scared at a Resident evil game since the first one.
Fatal Frame
Dead Space
Doom
Duke Nukem Forever
Just got Alien Isolation and playing it with my Gold Wireless Stereo Headseat so I plan on pissing myself.

MattAY said:
Back in the day it was Silent Hill 3 - easily.

I remember being scared shitless at Nightmare Creatures too. I was about 9 then though I think. Or 10? I forget!

Silent Hill 3 unnerved me to the point where I put off playing the game for a year after I hit the subway. I eventually gathered the courage to play through the game and beat it. Also Hi guys!

Green_Lantern said:
I don't play scary games, just like I watch horror films. No thanks to either one.

This is my general rule, though I make more exceptions for video games than I do for movies.

A few good ones off the top of my head:

The Suffering
Silent Hill 2
Dead Space
Condemned

Dead Space is probably my favorite of those, but Silent Hill 2 is probably the scariest.

I used to be too terrified to play Castlevania IV. I couldn't watch the opening sequence without having nightmares. The music is what really did me in. Nowadays, I love playing horror games, especially from the PS1 era. Perhaps from hardware limitations, they tended to have a much slower pace and rather enthralling atmospheres (like the loading sequences in Resident Evil when you're ascending/descending stairs). It's similar to older movies that relied more on suspense and effects tricks. I also feel like the video game horror genre excelled with the pre-rendered backgrounds.

More recently, I recall a scene from Condemned 2 that almost gave me a heart attack. I only played it once when it was released in 2008 and this scene is still hauntingly memorable in two ways:

*Spoiler*
The part where you get chased by that grizzly bear. Holy shit!! I was not expecting that at all, and I sprang up while I had my controller tethered to the Playstation and nearly knocked down the entire entertainment center!!!!

I really want to try out Alien: Isolation, with all the banter about it on the other thread. I love the movies (well, the first two plus Prometheus).

Master_Craig said:
With Alien: Isolation releasing just last week and The Evil Within coming out this week (not to mention that it's gonna be Halloween in about two weeks time) what's the scariest game you've ever played and why? Is it one of these two games, or something different?

I haven't played either of these games yet but for me at the moment, it's ZombiU for the Wii U.

That game was terrifying. It was dark, gritty, zombies were genuinely a threat especially when there was more than one, ammunition was scarce and if you died, that was it, game over. Sure you got to play as another survivor, but you lose all your stuff! Getting stuff out of your backpack was a bit risky at times as well.

I have a feeling Alien: Isolation may take ZombiU's place as my "scariest game", so what's yours?

Wow looks great based on your explanation!

#3 Dead Space
Space monsters are really scary, specially if they suddenly came out of nowhere.

#2 Outlast
This game made me jump out of my sit, literally!

#1 Silent Hill
The music, the environment and scary creatures are out of this world. It's like a living hell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod