Bethesda or Bioware

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Bretimus_v2, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

So I've been tooling around with Dragon Age at a friend's house and I was wondering. Which is your favorite expansive WRPG producer, Bethesda or Bioware? I like the streamlined gameplay of Fallout and the way everything played into your ending. I love Oblivion. But it seems like Bethesda has some of the buggiest, unpolished games in the world (it's like they depend on the mod community to finish the game for them). DA isn't a bad game either with lots of options and the game being about more than just combat. Plus, it looks so much nicer and polished. I'm looking forward to playing the crap out of it soon. But my one gripe is that the DA combat is a bit of a pain.

Methinks I prefer Bethesda.

Opinions?

2. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

They both have their flaws, that's true. But I find myself more on Bethesda's side. I'm more interested in waiting for TES V at the moment than I am in playing DA:O. Still, you know what would be awesome?

The Elder Scrolls of the Dragon Age.

3. keepithowitis

keepithowitis Rookie

Placeholder for my lengthy post about loving Bethesda.

4. HK-47

HK-47 Rookie

Bioware, heavily due to KotOR.
    But would I have any other non-Star Wars biased answer?

5. Lien

Lien Rookie

When i think of bethesda, i think of Morrowind.
    When i think of Bioware, i think of mass effect.

I don't see the similarity, they're two different style of game. therefore, two different game developer. Plus one of them's Canadian so...

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

My dream is that one day Bethesda and Bioware will have a love baby RPG.
    And it will be good.

For now though, i must say i <3 Bethesda slightly more, mainly just for Oblivion. 4 years later and it's still an awesome game with a large mod community.

Don't get me wrong, Dragon Age and Mass Effect are great too, but they just don't have the feel of Oblivion or Fallout. Probably because they're all 3rd person.

Also, I too am waiting for TES: V. It will likely be one of the few PC games i actually feel worth buying these days.

7. TheDiesel

TheDiesel Rookie

I personally like Bioware's products more than Bethesda's.

Though if my friend heard me say this he'd probably slap me.

8. Tykk

Tykk Rookie

Troika...

Yeah, it's not on the list, but fuck it, any company that can release a game with more bugs than a crack whore with the sniffles and still make it so engaging that i'll play it anyway is pure genius. Troika pulled that off several times.

9. malakian

malakian Rookie

Bioware, by leagues. Way more emotionally engaging. While bethesdas worlds are big, there's something very cardboard about their characters and places.

10. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Both of them make the same game over and over again, only changing the setting a little bit.

But as Mala said, the difference between them is that Bioware makes good stories and characters, whereas Bethesda makes good worlds with lots of freedom.

I like them both.

11. ol_dirty_bastard

Bethesda, just 'cause of Fallout 3. Still my favourite RPG of this gen.

12. Nick_Tan

Nick_Tan Rookie

Bethesda does better with open-world game design actually being open-world. Bioware does better with characterization and the actual mechanics of, say, shooting. That said, I would still recommend Fallout 3 over Mass Effect 2 by a smidgeon.

13. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

I like that Nick is posting lately.

Also, after playing a bit more of Dragon Age, I have to say that I find myself listening to a lot more conversations instead of just skipping through until I find out if they add a quest or note or clue. There is definitely more of an emotional push behind it.

14. MonkeyPox

MonkeyPox Rookie

I'm with Bioware on this one

15. kingg5

kingg5 Rookie

Hard one so many fun pointless hours with bioware but bethesda has beat that recently with the fallout and oblivion GOTY even though they end up freezing up more then an illigitamit love child between frosty the snowman and ice cube that gets a beating on a sunda after church

16. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I have to go with Bioware, because story always trumps setting in the end.

17. Guan_Yu

Guan_Yu Rookie

This is tough. Really really tough. But I will have to go with Bioware because they have made more games that I love. In fact, the only Bethesda game that I love is Fallout 3 (not a big Elder Scrolls fan.) But I love Fallout 3 so much.

But I also love KOTOR. And Mass Effect. And Dragon Age. And Mass Effect 2. Case closed for me.

18. Tylzen

Tylzen Rookie

If I had to choose I would go with BioWare, I have had more fun with their games in the long run many times, especially the KOTOR series.

Not saying that Bethesda are bad, but I like the story of the game, and Bethesda's worlds does seem a bit "dead" from time to time.

19. Diomedes

Diomedes Rookie

BioWare:

+ KotOR
    + getting me excited about the new KotOR
    + KotOR 2 (parts were good)
    + Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age (haven't played either but I've only heard good things)
    - Mass Effect => terribly overrated

Bethesda:

+ Elder Scrolls games
    + Fallout 3

It's a close race but I think I'll tentatively side with BioWare. KotOR was and is one of my favourite games of all time. The Elder Scrolls games, on the other hand, though they are fun and pretty well done didn't approach the same level of absolutely excellent craftsmanship. Fallout also had its good points but ultimately didn't do much for me.

20. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Technically, Kotor 2 wasn't done by Bioware, and if you thought Mass Effect was overrated then the second will only do something for you if you like brainless shooters.