Open world Star Wars game incoming?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GRColin, Nov 27, 2013.

1. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

http://kotaku.com/thats-no-moon-thats-a ... 1472612003

I would love an open world Star Wars game. I always wanted to see a Star Wars RPG done by Bethesda or a sandbox SW game handled by any capable development team.

2. Lien

Lien Rookie

Calling it, Grand theft Spaceship: Tatooine.

In all seriousness, i could see a Skyrim look-a-like game with the force unleash type gameplay. Add some Jedi powers and some Sith plot, give some Jedi knight like leveling system and bam. You got a star wars game.

Waiting on Longo to burst in here saying skyrim sucks and planestscape is better, aaany minute now...

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Considering EA holds a vicelike grip on all Star Wars IPs, expect it to be developed by someone who doesn't have a whole lot of experience making open world games. Especially after EA shut down Pandemic.

A Star Wars game like that is probably gonna happen. The hard part is the "capable dev team" aspect of it.

4. danielrbischoff

It won't work. I don't think it'll make a good game. I could be wrong, but with the Star Wars galaxy being so massive, it'd be hard to say "woooowwww, here's our open world! It's soooo big! Isn't it soooo big guys?"

IGN "It's quite big."
    GameSpot "It's large."
    GameInformer "We've seen it. It's really big."

I mean, I've been proven wrong by EA. I know a lot of people think they're big humungo dickheads, but I think they've made a lot of smart moves. They're not at the top of their game, but they could be doing worse considering how big the company has been and how it became a lot smaller over the past three-four years. PvZ Garden Warfare, for example, you could have told me about it before hand and I'd say "you're stupid." I think I did say that. I don't know.

Good Star Wars games please. Open world... or otherwise. Doesn't have to be anything specific like "shooter" but just make it good.

5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with Daniel. I'm not entirely sure how an "open world" Star Wars game would work. The Star Wars universe is absolutely massive, filled with well written worlds, locations and alien races that a lot of gamers may not know about, due to their introduction and involvement in the extended universe.

Skyrim for example is a massive game and a massive world, but it's set in one country only in the world of the Elder Scrolls, that country being Skyrim. Star Wars however is... well, it's literally a universal scale.

That being said, I'd love to see a Star Wars Jedi/Sith game that plays similar to that of Skyrim or something... perhaps with the ability to go to multiple worlds and even space travel. The possibilities are endless but at the same time, every game has its limits.

But like Daniel said, we've all been proven wrong before, especially by EA Games. They might be able to pull it off and pull it off well, we'll just have to wait and see to find out. I'm looking forward to it.

6. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

I wouldn't mind seeing a next gen X-Wing/TIE Fighter game. I never really gotten into the whole Jedi stuff and Wedge doesn't need the force. The only open world Star Wars game out at the moment is the Star Wars mod for Mount and Blade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLA82pGIeo

If there is going to be an open world Star Wars game, hopefully it does a better job. :D

7. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

^ - Next gen X-Wing/TIE Fighter game? YES. :D

8. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

And threaten the swtor revenue? Yes that is how lucas art used to think, it's why they shut down galaxies before swtor released.

I do vote that I would love the idea of a skyrim engine star wars.