Best and Worst voice acting.

Bioshock, the MGS series, TF2, and the GTA series.

Bioshock was great. With all the great performances in that game, none of them shamed any of the others in contrast. Ryan was great."No it belongs to God." The disdain, the hatred! Great stuff.

About 100% of the MGS series is tied up in Codec and cutscenes, and if it weren't for the fact that I loved voice overs, there's no way I would have actually sit through almost everyone of them in all four games. On second playthroughs I still would listen to and watch a large number of them. Snake's voice was great, I honestly can't imagine any other voice in that role. I'm actually pissed that MGS4 is the last one he's in, because now I can't listen to him go on about whatever ridiculous dialogue was written.

"They are ninjas."
"NINJAS?"
"They have swords."
"SWORDS?"

Awesomeness.

As far as TF2, I've lost count of the amount of times I've quoted the announcer. That women's voice is great in Portal and TF2. But for all the time's I repeated a line trying to capture his disdain and harshness, I've never quoted GLADOS. Plus the voices of all the player classes put it over the top.

The GTA series speaks for itself.

Oblivion. It pains me to say it, but it wasn't good. It's not that any individual actor was a total idiot, it's just that you have maybe a dozen actors reciting the vast majority of lines, of which there are about a billion. They mail it in, misread scenes, and do the same fucking voice for a hundreds of characters. There's nothing wrong with any individual voice, but some of the gender/race combos just seemed to phone it in whole sale, with no passion of flair.

"I'm reading lines without stumbling, and speaking clearly. This is obviously all you need to do to collect a pay check."

If they did this in Fallout 3, and it likes they might have, I will be sorely disappointed.

TLDR

Good:
MGA
GTA
Bioshock
Team Fortress 2

Bad:
Oblivion
Fallout 3(?)

jc00l said:
For worst starfox 64. Maybe it wasn't just the acting but the actual written lines were AWFUL!

Do a barrel roll!

To Barrel roll, press Z or R twice!

Use the boost to get through!

Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll! Do a barrel roll!

That aside

The Zelda CD-i games. The voice work in those games make 4kids look like experienced veterans.
Link: The Faces of Evil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mHw5g55oC4
Zelda's Adventure (it had real acting. Real horrible acting.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O_ZPR2q7cg

Sorry Alaska, I can't hate David Hayter.

Also, there's Andy Serkis, and the work he did in Heavenly Sword.

Woah-woah-wait someone here is from Alaska?

Other than me? Well, I USED to live there... and I wish I still did.

Also, it should be fun to note that I myself plan on being a voice actor some day (if my career path as a cartoonist/animator doesn't take off).

Squiggy said:
Woah-woah-wait someone here is from Alaska?

Other than me? Well, I USED to live there... and I wish I still did.

Also, it should be fun to note that I myself plan on being a voice actor some day (if my career path as a cartoonist/animator doesn't take off).

Yes, I am from (and still live in) Alaska. I knew you were from Alaska too. Maybe I just pay more attention than you. Haha.

Anyway, to stay on topic, you really think David Hayter is good, guys? I can't think of one moment from MGS that he didn't completely ruin. Haha. Okay, I'm being a little harsh, but he does suck.

It's not that David Hayter is good, it's just that his Snake voice is just dripping with awesome.

I think Bioshock wins best overall, followed by Half-Life 2 and the MGS series.

I agree with Lentium about House of the Dead 2 being the worst. If he didn't post it, I would have. The only good voice actors in Oblivion died within the first few minutes. The rest managed to suck away whatever emotion was left. Whatever happened to the male Dark Elf voice from Morrowind? I loved their thick rasp of a voice.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Seriously. Perfect voice casting. Seriously.

Also, beast race voice actors for Oblivion.

Heh, not much love for Tidus here, I see. I think the issue is with Square-Enix's voice direction. I say this only because Tidus is voiced by James Arnold Taylor, the man behind the voice of Ratchet, of whom I can say no evil.

Example of worst voice acting? Altair in Assassin's Creed. Not really bad voice acting, but bad casting.

Listening to him talk, you have to think "WTF? Could this guy be any more 20th century American?"

used44 said:
One of my least favorites is Solid Snake (David Hayter). The voice acting in the MGS games are generally pretty top-notch but the main character Snake is portrayed as a monotone, raspy, teeth-gritted, asshole.

I have to agree, while MGS series is probably my favorite of all time, when Snake Eater I was a little disappointed in Hayters voice. Skip to 4:22 ----->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb1A2wV5XGY

Even before the game out I kept watching and rewatching the MGS3 Japanese trailers and I loved their voices. I was crossing my fingers for a Japanese dub, but no such luck. Even MGS4 didn't have it :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J50G89_a5Y The Japanese voices have so much emotion and growl. Plus their pitch and range are spot on...or maybe I'm just biased.

From what I've played so far, FF12 has some pretty stellar voice-acting. Tidus from FF10 has to be a lowlight, though. The delivery is just so stilted, it makes me laugh...out loud. The rest of the cast (except maybe Yuna) was a pretty good fit, though. Ironic, the two lead characters are the worst of the bunch.

I also liked the voice acting from the Jak trilogy... top notch in my opinion.

And Psychonauts, that had some superb voice acting.

Ooh, and Grim Fandango....and Curse of Monkey Island...and Sam and Max....

I love the voice acting in Mass Effect. The scenes between Wrex and Shepherd (female is best) are all awesome.

Worst for games I'm currently playing would be the voice of Nilsson in Mercenaries 2. He's really starting to piss me off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod