Best and Worst voice acting.

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
One of my least favorites is Solid Snake (David Hayter). The voice acting in the MGS games are generally pretty top-notch but the main character Snake is portrayed as a monotone, raspy, teeth-gritted, asshole. Lame.

The voices in Oblivion are also universally awful.

... I can't think of any bests. :(

I never liked the Silent Hill voiceovers. 1 and 2 mostly, just because whenever a demonic...thing came into scene they just said, "what is this?" I'd be screaming WHAT THE F*******CK!!!!??

You already mentioned Oblivion, but I want to make special mention of the cretin who plays all the male Bretons in that game. He sounds like a bored old man reading his lines off without a hint of emotion, and without any idea of their significance to events in the game. He singlehandedly ruined the climactic scene of the Dark Brotherhood storyline by delivering the veangeful screams of a man driven to madness by grief and resentment in an almost robotic monotone.
By the way, I actually thought the guy who plays the male Imperials was quite good. Hammy, but good.

Best, Luigi in Luigi and the Haunted Mansion on GC.
When he shouted for Mario, priceless.

Worst,
Oblivion.

The GTA series have had a consistently high quality of voice over work, and the supporting cast of the half-life series are exceedingly well done.

The guy who played Andrew Ryan in Bioshock was also exceptional.

The resident evil series stands out for me as some of the lowest points in acting. I also agree with everyone who mentioned Oblivion.

ohsostupid said:
The GTA series have had a consistently high quality of voice over work, and the supporting cast of the half-life series are exceedingly well done.

The guy who played Andrew Ryan in Bioshock was also exceptional.

The resident evil series stands out for me as some of the lowest points in acting. I also agree with everyone who mentioned Oblivion.

I'm going to agree with you on the GTA series, They put some celebrities we know into the games itself
For Ex. Samuel Jackson was that black cop in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

But the voice acting for Command and Conquer i feel needs improvement. Command and Conquer:Kanes Wrath used actually people acting. I feel they need better actors and newer technology

used44 said:
One of my least favorites is Solid Snake (David Hayter). The voice acting in the MGS games are generally pretty top-notch but the main character Snake is portrayed as a monotone, raspy, teeth-gritted, asshole. Lame.

The voices in Oblivion are also universally awful.

... I can't think of any bests. :(

I'd have to disagree with you on the voice actor for Solid Snake. In my opinion he is one of the best voice actors. I think he makes the chain smokin' soldier sound just as he should. His screams, his satirical lines, irony and etc. I think he deserves to be praised. :) Alas it just my opinion. ;)

But he is not the best in my book. In my book one of the better voice actors is the man behind Auron. When I was a kid and played Final Fantasy X I loved him. When people asked which is the most badass for me, I instantly replied with Auron because of the voice. :)

The worst? I'd go with Tidus in Final Fantasy X, I don't know what am I hearing. Is he either sad, cheerful, mad and the scream he does after the battle on Mi'hen road (maybe mispelled the location name) is just, sorry to say it, goddamn awful.

PS. Also love the GTA voice actors! C.J. and Nico Bellic rocks!

You guys forget the voice acting in resident evil...its almost laughable, and they spew out the most ridiculous lines in the annals of video game history.

Best, however, has to go to Bioshock in my opinion, because everyones voice in it had feeling, mystery, intrigue, and sadness in it when it needed to be. It was a treat to listen to.

Bioshock definitely comes to mind for practically every single character. I thought Bully's was well done as well.

Haha, cheesy as it is I liked the voice acting for Marcus Fenix in Gears of War. I don't know why, it's probably because I like seeing Futurama's Bender save the world.

I have to disagree with you used, I feel Snake's voice is great. Actually, alot of the voices from the MGS series are great, except for Mai Ling in MGS 1. The accent annoyed me. I also really like Uncharted's voice acting. Off the top of my head, I can't think of bad voice acting.

MattAY said:
I never liked the Silent Hill voiceovers. 1 and 2 mostly, just because whenever a demonic...thing came into scene they just said, "what is this?" I'd be screaming WHAT THE F*******CK!!!!??
Have to agree. The problem I found, aside from a general lack of excitement in their voices, was the pauses in the first game. The vocals were split into individual audio files no more than 3-4 seconds in length, so a complete sentence might consist of 4 or 5 individual files, with maybe a half second to a second pause in between each file... making for some hilariously poor speeches.

Best scene in my opinion, after making your way through the school and entering the clock tower in the courtyard, Harry comes out the other end of the straight tunnel right back in the school's courtyard (so he walked in a straight line and ended up where he started), everything's changed, walls are now rusted metal, it's raining and there's this giant creepy symbol on the ground in the middle... and all Harry can do is mumble (yes, mumble) 'I don't remember this being here before'
:D

David Hayter is by far the best, and I say that not even being an MSG fan

I really liked Dante in Devil May Cry (the first one), as well as Auron (who didn't)

I can't think of anyone I disliked. I think video games have really good voice acting overall

Dante? You serious? I mean whatever, that's your opinion and I only played the first game. So maybe he got better in the newer ones?

But all I remember was the "I'll fill your soul with LIIIIIIIGHT" or something like that. It was pure cheese.

And I agree on the SH voice acting but that's only because it's out dated. I mean, compare the dialogue in Silent Hill to Resident Evil and it's definitely not as cheesy.

That's very interesting, MC. I didn't know that.

Also, I thought of two others! One great display of acting and one terrible one, both from the same game! The good is female Commander Sheppard from Mass Effect and the bad is male Commander Sheppard.

The female actress, who also apparently voices Samus Aran, is so great. She has a great voice, great sense of pathos, always sounds sort of fatigued and exasperated; in other words she is a real actress.

The male actor is so very much not a real actor. He sounds completely wooden, like he's reading directly from the script and this is his first time seeing the dialogue. Embarrassing.

It's the primary reason I always choose to play as Mirnada Sheppard instead of Asshat Sheppard.

The other Mass Effect voices are pretty good though.

Best: Wrex, Dr. Chakwas, and Saren from Mass Effect
Absolute stab ure brain through ure cochlea worst for me: Castlevania: Symphony of the night. Cringe factor was through the roof.

Isaac Clarke from Dead Space. Let me be perfectly clear: I am having a blast acting as trauma surgeon to the undead, but for those "OMGWTF! That guy just got vivisected!" moments, standing there, checking your space watch or stifling a silent yawn just doesn't cut it. Not a game for a mute cypher character in my opinion.

And I hate to bring him up for all of you who repressed the memory, but here goes one final asshat duo from the ancient history books: Steve and Alfred from Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod