Activision to Sony: Bite the Bullet

Bretimus_v2

So tired.
Just read this news clip.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=4465

Talk about a rough ultimatum! But how much of a hit would a price drop be in the long run. The PS3 has hardly gotten on well with developers since they started the system with a new and different design program. And they've continually pointed out how packed the system is hardware wise as well. So everytime they talk price drops they get a little squeamish. But let's face it, they can't even say we're the cheapest BD player out there anymore since the gap has closed on that market. At what point do you accept that you're taking a hit on system production and settle for giant royalty checks? The fact of the matter is no parent is going to choose a PS3 over the cheaper systems.

Of couse, I'm nowhere near a CEO office and the view is not as clear from the parking lot of the building, let alone nowhere near the building.

It's just going to sting that much more when I think about how much my PS3 cost. But at least it's backwards compatible.

For those of you who don't own a PS3, was it price that held you back? For those of you who own multiple, which do you prefer to purchase games for?

i have a ps3, paid 500$ u.s. i think its been a fine investment myself. it's a nice multimedia device. but when people think playstation, they think game console, and really that is what the ps3 is is a game console. not many people want to pay 100$ dollars more for a console when there is cheaper ones out there.

really though, i think the ps3 is worth the price of admission. i just think activision is mad at sony for how much royalties they end up paying.

I agree with Koala. I just got my PS3 a few weeks ago and yes, the price tag is ridiculously high but at the same time so is the quality. I have both systems so I'm no fanboy for either side, but I do prefer my PS3 to my 360. All in all, games wise and honestly media-wise too, it's better.

Over the last few weeks, Activision has done a whole bunch of shit that has made them my least favorite developer BY FAR!

A price drop is pretty much all I'm waiting for to get a PS3, so this is some pretty good news for me

I really want to play inFamous and GoW III (when it comes out), but I'm still not going to get my own PS3 until they significantly drop the price. It's just not worth the asking price to play what few games they have right now, so until they do I'll just keep borrowing my friend's PS3 whenever a good exclusive comes up.

I don't want to see Sony go the way of Sega and stop making consoles. It's bad enough that Nintendo effectively dropped out of mainstream gaming to embrace the "casual" crowd, it would really suck if the next-gen of consoles consisted solely of Microsoft (even though it is currently my preferred console). Of course, if that were the case another company would probably step in to fill the void.

Can't we all just give a big ROFL WOFL to Activision?

I mean, it's taken them this long to realize people aren't going to buy as many games for the PS3 because of the system's price.

Duh.

And If you ask me, Activision can suck it up. They already have titles like Call of Duty, that sell faster than free pancakes, on both the 360 and PS3.

So, all of this is just them wanting to get their grubby little hands on mo' money, mo' money, mo' money. Cause I can tell ya that if Sony drops the PS3's price tag, it won't be because of one developer/publisher, who already makes a substantial amount of money off of game sales for it.

^ The funny thing is at this point that since partnering with Blizzard last year they really don't need all that much money anymore. Blizzard is pulling hundreds of millions per month from WoW alone. Activision is selling tons of Guitar Heroes, Call of Duties, Prototypes, X-Men, and Spider-Men, to name a few.

Even with continuing to produce for PS3 they'll turn a profit on development costs. If they pull out of the Sony Market all they'll have done is pissed off a lot of people.

...and it all just comes down to the fact that ROI isn't as big as they want it to be. But what's better 0% of $0.00 or X% of millions of dollars.

But, think of the investors!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo