Activision and Blizzard bought their freedom from Vivendi

Lien

Rookie
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/activision-blizzard-buys-itself-from-vivendi-universal-for-82-billion-dollars-with-help-from-tencent-20667

Silverstorm just tipped this to daniel just this hour. More news will come in. Nevertheless, if this is true, this is a HUGE event in gaming history. Currently, the stocks are going DOWN... but this is normal when a company separates itself from a parent corporation. Still, anything can happen during stocks drop.

Brief story of vivendi and Blizzard-activision:

Vivendi Universal acquire Blizzard since 1997 (during the production of starcraft) and Activision in 2007 (same year as call of duty 4: modern warfare came out). In late 2008, Vivendi merged the stock holding title of both companies into one with the less creative name of Activision-Blizzard. Ever since, both company showed commercial success in the gaming market. Disgrunted misinformed fanboys from both sides claimed that blizzard was ruining activision and that activision ruined blizzard. Of course this is silly since neither company has a say in each other's project saved for marketing and stock conference (unless the rumor that kotic and metzen are shape-shifting lizards is actually proven true). Vivendi, though, in regards to sales, got the say who gets the funding or not. When funding isn't met, the companies then have to liquidate or change their business practice (and that was how Blizzard north fell when diablo 3 didn't met vivendi expectation during the early years of production).

I am on the Bias side saying that with vivendi out of the picture, less restrain on either company and this is is opening a new door for the gaming industry. So it's good for us.

But what say you? Good news? bad news? Meet the new boss same as the old boss?

Re: Activision and Blizzard bought their freedom from Vivend

UghRochester said:
Lien said:
Meet the new boss same as the old boss
http://instantyeah.org/

Also, i found this comment under a WoW article that made me smirk.
rough calculation. with 9 million players, this action alone took subscription fees from all 9 million players for the last (or future) 60 months (5 years)

Congratulations everyone. "Greedy" blizzard used your subscriptions for the last 5 years not to line their pockets, but to buy themselves so their "owners" dont bleed them possibly risking the game itself.

Hehe... Well we know it's not true since Kotic and Brian "Who the hell am i?" Kelly were the main pushers for the buying. Still, it's something to throw at people who conspires Blizzard is stealing their money.

Sounds like each party used each other adequately. Vivendi gets paid. Activision-Blizzard got what they wanted.
Too bad this didn't happen sooner. Vivendi could've bought out THQ whole. meh. THQ sucked anyways. Vivendi should dump that money into indie devs publishing, milk more money away from MS and Sony in the process.
Activision-Blizzard gets a *rebranding* (cough) at a crucial point in WoW subs and next gen console launches.

Honestly I'd rather be Vivendi at this point. Activision camp is pretty low, dead weight even. COD is running its final laps imo. And Blizzard isn't so hot lately either. Need some kind of major WoW announcement.

We can only wait and see. Blizzcon is around the corner so maybe some announcement there will revitalize people. People are already expecting a new Wow expansion there (with a possible graphical remold) and project titan. Who knows, perhaps there will be something to amaze us there... or Disappoint us.

And Not to contradict you chris, but Activision is more then just CoD. The Skylander series, for example, has been going for a couple of years and it is highly successful and beneficial to the company in term of sales and following. Its sale could of rivaled WoW first two years sales.

Skylander swap force, those toys? That was a bad risk. I don't see that catching on at all. But if it's as strong as you say it is, then that's good. The new Skylanders game looks beyond great, but anything video gaming bundled with toys looks like a gimmick, which means it's probably bad.
But i don't know enough about the IP. I think Activision has 5 more years. Blizzard should drop them like a bad habit. Just my opinion though.
And i meant Vivendi should get into the indie scene by funding indie devs, not publishing titles.

Chris_Crime said:
Skylander swap force, those toys? That was a bad risk. I don't see that catching on at all. But if it's as strong as you say it is, then that's good. The new Skylanders game looks beyond great, but anything video gaming bundled with toys looks like a gimmick, which means it's probably bad.
But i don't know enough about the IP. I think Activision has 5 more years. Blizzard should drop them like a bad habit. Just my opinion though.
And i meant Vivendi should get into the indie scene by funding indie devs, not publishing titles.

Disney is going to enter that market with Disney Infinity, and Nintendo is mulling over a Pokemon version that uses the same premise...

In terms of long-time establishment, you can't deny Skylanders has done well in curbing that market for the past 3 years. Now that competition is coming...we shall see if it can stay on top.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod