A technical question about videogames to our GR Grandmasters

Solaris10

Rookie
I learned quite some time ago that some of our GR gurus are in fact involved in many different ways in the Videogame industry. I know some of them are in fact independant devellopers for hire (on contract). So, after talking to a friend who lives now in Edmonton (in training at Bioware), he said something to me about the Ps3, Xbox360 and future graphical prowess and I wanna know if he is trying to bull**** me.

He said that though there is always a way to improve the graphicals prowess of the PS3 and Xbox360 (but especially PS3) it would be minor improvements. In fact, he is saying as far as graphics goes, we are pretty much stuck at what we have because:

A) the cost are HUMONGOUS to get those small upgrades

B) Many don't know how to improve those graphics significantly anymore.

So, to conclude he said that even though PS3 is a powerhouse, it's graphical prowess will never be much better than Xbox360. However, PS3 power could be best used on the physic engines and effects put in the game.

Is this true? I think he might be on to something. I know the PS3 is harder to code (Xbox360 uses common knowledge coding.... but Sony decided to use their own language) but still...I wonder why they built the strongest machine if they knew they wouldn't be able to get much better than they have right now.

Just curious about what you think of those claims.....

The future is now, and it sucks.

But even the future has a future. If we survive this whole economical hell, we have the technology to do tons of stuff with gaming, especially graphics.

I'm waiting for something to be actually cool that uses motion, and not like Wii, which is like giving a plastic handjob with buttons.

Hahahaha, so true.

Devellopers, because of the huge cost a game takes these days don,t have the balls (and wallets) to try something out of the box in fear it becomes a total failure..... But hey, it doesn't take Rocket Science to use the remote in a smart way.

I think games like Mario Galaxy, twilight princess and metroids and Zack and Wiki are good examples. Hell, even the RE4 remake on wii was awesome for it's controls! Still, the controller don't bother certain companies....hell look at the fire emblem game on wii! It uses the controller sideway and it is FINE!

Re: A technical question about videogames to our GR Grandmas

Solaris10 said:
...So, after talking to a friend who lives now in Edmonton (in training at Bioware)...

Hey, I was going to apply for that! But I didnt, I was too lazy to get around to making a resume, and wasn't too excited about the ~40 minute one-way commute everyday it'd be.

He got the Job after he sent Bioware some mods he did with the engine they used for Mass Effect, and that guy is a pure genius! he can program like a pro, do modeling, textures...everything.

But he only got degrees in graphical conception I think he called it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle