2001: A Space Odyessey

WickedLiquid

Regular
So after seeing this movie spoofed a million times i finally caught this for the first time. And although i thought i knew what was going to happen, that ending still caught me off guard and blew me away. It was awesome but i really don't get it, maybe i've got to see it a few more times? Since it's such a classic i'm guessing most of you have seen it and can maybe side some light on what the hell happened.

I have no idea. But all I remember is the rorbot part, and the monkeys dancing around the big obelisk (the famous parody parts).

Total bullshit film I think.

MattAY said:
Total bullshit film I think.
*You've lost respect towards Lien* :evil:

It's an awesome film and i strongly suggest that you watch 2010, the sequel which blew my made away as well (i know, different directors).

May i suggest other Stanley Kubrick films? Dr.Strangelove or Clockwork Orange perhaps? (careful there's a rape scene in this one)

I remember watching it first time with 5X speed and still the movie looked like it's in slow motion. Watched it second time with a normal speed and I fell asleep. Twice. Short attention span, I know.

Anyhow the movie is alright and the idea was interesting. Nothing mindblowing for me. Felt little dissapointed after hearing all the praise about it.

Gonna watch 2010, because of Lien's recommendation.

The very powers that were responsible for turning the apes into humans via the obelisk turned Dave into Space Baby. Its pretty sweet, I know. Damn, now I want to watch it again!

Also, people didn't know that but the movie was release before the moon landing. That's one of the reason it was so popular. Because some scene were just so real.

Yea and the space baby represent reincarnation i think. Because Dave is witnessing his rebirth. I could drag on for very long about what it could philosophically means but then we would all really go to sleep.

I tried watching it as a teenager....Couldn't get into it. I might give it another go but a lot of people I talk to seem to point out how utterly slow and uneventful it is which is the vibe I got from it ten years ago.

Recently got this on blu-ray on the cheap from Amazon. Haven't watched yet; interested in how pretty the visuals look. Been a while since I watched the movie. I remember the first time I watched with my parents and it seemed like a slug. Interesting, but slooow.

Skip the movie and read the book. II'd say it definitely moves faster than the movie, solely because you don't have to watch a spaceship flying for five minute at a time.

This is my favourite movie.
But I really recommend you read the companion book. There's no way you can truly understand what goes on without it.

Most boring movie I have ever seen.

The themes in the book were totally lost in the film, and it ended up not making any sense (even after reading the book).

The film is essentially 3 parts to me: The introduction, the space mission and the surreal ending.

The space mission part is fabulous. The cold demeanor of hal9000 is certainly iconic. However, as much as I am very pleased to own the special edition and love it dearly, I can't say the ending stands the test of time. Kubrick was always indulgent and the streaming colourful vistas are less technically impressive now but just as painfully long.

I think it's a film which has its strengths in the parts that are narratively usual and its weaknesses in the excesses of an auteur.

Alot of mixed reviews on this movie it seems. The ending is interesting in it's own way but I have to agree with mala; the second act is more enjoyable and is the reason the film's so criticly acclaimed.

it's just one of those "incredible movies so important and historic you should definitely see that turn out to be awfully boring and disappointing instead."Just like "Citizen Kane" or "Rosemary's Baby"... If you want to be entertained, do yourself a favor and go and watch "Robocop" or "Predator"...

Its a boring movie. I feel it is a necessary movie to watch, but it really is boring, and no one really understands the transformation at the end until its explained to them or after 50 viewings.

Also, as we are in the year 2010 and haven't done shit with our space program, it is similarly dated to those old Twilight Zone/Outer Limits that talk about how "humanity conquered the stars in the early 1980s".

This is an awesome movie. I watched it for a film appreciation club and it was really cool to talk with a group about the movie afterwards.

But having seen it once, I do not plan on doing so again for quite some time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod