Word filter

Longo_2_guns said:
Lethean is also a front page moderator. As are Chunibrow, NecroWolf, and Jessica Vasquez (though she's staff, so you know).
Hmm i know it's not the same subject here but what is the full list of the front page moderators? Or is every moderator also moderating the front page comments?

Those users Longo mentioned, him and I. I use Longo as a guideline, because he has the most experience besides Lethean.

Lien said:
Longo_2_guns said:
Lethean is also a front page moderator. As are Chunibrow, NecroWolf, and Jessica Vasquez (though she's staff, so you know).
Hmm i know it's not the same subject here but what is the full list of the front page moderators? Or is every moderator also moderating the front page comments?
I made a user group for it. Everyone on that list, plus the full time staff, are front page moderators.

I don't know if there's something you can do with Disqus settings, but there definitely is a word filter and it's highly annoying. It's usually "Fuck" that makes the comment pending. It's actually quite weird. I see comments pending moderation by a form of "Shit" like "shiiite," but some comments can have "Fuckin" and get away with the filter.

Anyways, this may help you.

I can't do anything about it, because I don't have those privileges.

I say keep the filter. The front page is filled with too many ignorant jerks as it is. Many comment just to start a flame war; from bashing GR's writers and linking rival websites, to just downright hateful comments. I feel like Disqus brought a lot of them here. It wasn't nearly as bad when you actually had to make a GR account to post comments.

Filtering out the words that UghRochester was initially mentioning isn't going to prevent hateful comments; the filter isn't capable of determining whether those words are being used in a positive or negative manner.

Although I'm not frequently a front pager, my opinion is to wipe curse words from the list while keeping any generally derogatory terms. The filter doesn't delete/censor immediately, but just flags them and sends them for moderator approval, correct? If so, while the filter won't be able to catch all instances of inappropriate comments, slurs and such are much better indicators of tone and intent than curse words.

You're absolutely right, Sightless, and I agree with your suggestion. I just feel like there are far more interesting adjectives and expletives in the English language. Perhaps the removal of curse words could encourage people to exercise their vocabulary. I apologize if that sounds super uptight, but I think the filter aids in cleaning up the front page and making it more welcoming to guests. At the same time, I don't want the mods to have the extra burden of approving unwarranted claims. I know we're all sailing in a sea with tougher currents than foul language, but who says sailors cannot be cultured and well mannered? Jack London comes to mind..

Either way, I think you mods do a great job. I really enjoy contributing to the discussion/ banter here at GR; especially in the forums. The community has been more inviting and receptive than in years past, and I thank you guys for that. :)

To be fair, my jurisdiction is on the front page. I have no authority here in the forums. I'm glad you two gave suggestions.

Ugh has become a.mod???

The apocalypse has come...

apocalypse-o.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod