Possible return of the GR Royal Rumble?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Would anyone be interested in a fun thread about never-gonna-happen video game character battles? E.g. The GR Royal Rumble?

What we'd need to start with, aside from people who wanna do it, is a nomination of at least sixteen fictional characters, from any genre of video games. I think to make it a bit more fairer (I guess), try to nominate characters who primarily originate from video games (e.g. Mario, Ryu, Dante, Lara Croft, Samus Aran etc.) and not characters from other media who got put into a video game (e.g. Goku, Optimus Prime, Spider-Man etc).

Once we have our sixteen fighters, we'd break it down in an elimination-style, one on one tournament structure. Starting with preliminary rounds, quarter finals, semi-finals and then the finals.

Each fight would be updated onto this thread, giving forum goers the opportunity to vote for the fighter they think should win. The most votes equals victory, then we move onto the next thread. I think each fight/forum post should last twenty four, or maybe forty eight hours, to give participants an opportunity to vote.

What do you guys think? Yay or nay?

Nominated fighters so far:

War (Darksiders) - NegFactor
2. Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell) - Master_Craig
3. Gene (Godhand) - Green_Lantern
4. Dante (Devil May Cry) - MattAY
5. Viewtiful Joe - MattAY
6. Toon Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker) - MattAY
7. Kirby (Kirby's Dream Land) - Paul Tamburro
8. Samus Aran (Metroid) - COMaestro
9. Simon Belmont (Castlevania) - COMaestro
10. Kratos (God of War) - COMaestro
11. Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid) - COMaestro
12. Corvo (Dishonored) - COMaestro
13. Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) - COMaestro
14. Jackie Estacado (The Darkness) - NegFactor
15. Domingo (Shining Force) - NegFactor
16. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) - NegFactor

Last edited:
I nominate War (post-upgrades) from Darksiders. <3

Thanks, NegFactor! War has joined the fray!

I think users may have to vote/nominate multiple times, I'm not sure if we will get sixteen individuals nominating characters, we'll see how we go.

For now, I'll throw down for Sam Fisher from the Splinter Cell series.

I'm fine with multiple nominations to validate them in. I also feel like if you can get the demand in, people could submit their Top 3 or Top 4 in to you and you could just tally it up that way and take most overlaps first and seed them down. Of course, that would require a decent number of people to get that ball rolling, but maybe that'll be a possibility soon.

People would always do like 8 submissions and we'd end up with 150 or so. That was silly.
I'd say 2 to 4 is a good number, depending on the number of people interested.

Let's do Top 4. And you can eliminate from the bottom as needed when you're happy with the final amount of entrants?

My top 4:

1. Dante (DMC)
2. Viewtiful Joe
3. Toon Link (LoZ Wind Waker)
4. Cloud (FF7)

My revision that includes War:

1. War (Darksiders)
2. Jackie Estacado (Darkness II)
3. Domingo (Shining Force)
4. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)

Samus Aran (Metroid)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Kratos (God of War)

Sorry, can't resist more nominations, because then there's the stealth division which goes along with Sam Fisher:
----------------------------------------
Solid Snake (MGS)
Corvo (Dishonored)
Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
Garrett (Thief)

Sorry, can't resist more nominations, because then there's the stealth division which goes along with Sam Fisher:
----------------------------------------
Solid Snake (MGS)
Corvo (Dishonored)
Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)
Garrett (Thief)

What?! No Tenchu characters?! Alternatively, Shadow from FF6 (Ninjas represent!).

Hey everyone! Thanks for your entries. It looks like we now have sixteen fighters. Here are the nominated competitors!

1. War (Darksiders) - NegFactor
2. Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell) - Master_Craig
3. Gene (Godhand) - Green_Lantern
4. Dante (Devil May Cry) - MattAY
5. Viewtiful Joe - MattAY
6. Toon Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker) - MattAY
7. Kirby (Kirby's Dream Land) - Paul Tamburro
8. Samus Aran (Metroid) - COMaestro
9. Simon Belmont (Castlevania) - COMaestro
10. Kratos (God of War) - COMaestro
11. Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid) - COMaestro
12. Corvo (Dishonored) - COMaestro
13. Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) - COMaestro
14. Jackie Estacado (The Darkness) - NegFactor
15. Domingo (Shining Force) - NegFactor
16. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) - NegFactor

I'm happy with this list, but if everyone else is happy with this list, I will create a new thread titled "GR Royal Rumble 2018 - Super Smash", rules of engagement will be explained in the next thread.

What?! No Tenchu characters?! Alternatively, Shadow from FF6 (Ninjas represent!).

Oh, I could have gone on with more, but I didn't want to take over the nominations entirely. Also I wasn't going for ninjas, but characters where stealth was important, which I just don't really associate with Shadow.

Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper series)
Rikimaru and/or Ayame (Tenchu series)
Altair or Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed series)
Agent 47 (Hitman)
Goh (Shinobido)
Zen and/or Kaede (Shinobido 2)
Joel and/or Ellie (The Last of Us)

I know I'm missing some.

I do feel that a few of the fighters should be switched out, because damn, Agent 47 would be cool.

I was just going with some randoms that I don't normally see very much in these kind of events. Everyone knows pre-Other M Samus beats everything. :)

You could just make these into Games/Phases/Matches of some sort where people nominate, vote, then we do a new one again if you want to keep it fresh. In that sense, it's possible to incorporate everyone's suggestions eventually, if you're up for that kind of thing. Just make a thread along the lines of "GR Royal Rumble 2018 #1" for the first sixteen. Could even split suggestion threads the same way: "GR Royal Rumble 2018 #2 Nominations Here!" or something like that. Just throwing out ideas, feel free to disregard any or all of this.

That's cool, man. I appreciate the input. :)

Well, we may do a number of them, but I guess at the end of the day, it all just depends on forum user activity, interest, participation etc.

We possibly could break these up into categories, like stealth for the bunch I mentioned, then big brawlers like War and Kratos, stylish fighters like Dante, Bayonetta, and Raiden from Metal Gear Rising, etc. As long as we got enough nominations anyway. Then the winners of each category could go on to compete with each other. Again, like Craig mentioned, if there's interest.

I don't think getting enough nominations would be a problem. I could probably belt out 128 worthwhile characters just by myself. It's just a matter of whether you're scaling the system or breaking it up into multiple events and if you have enough people to vote on each match-up in an event so that it's not just roughly seven or eight of us voting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle