You are so like ... cliched. :D

Kijan

Rookie
Hey folks, let us talk about videogame cliches here. Post one you know and let us see how many are there. :D

If possible, also post in which genre of videogaming this cliched can be best seen in, a game for an example would also be great. :)

Let us start then:

The Amnesia at the start of the game, only to realize, he is the hero to save his world from impending doom at the end of the game cliche.

Genre: RPG and some FPS

Example: Can't think of any. :(

Exploding barrels. They are everywhere.

Enemies should know better, they always carry those barrels near to turrets and other importand devices.
They also like to stand near them.

Kijan said:
Fantastic start to the thread!
/trolling
My suggestion: the ice level in platform games with slippery surfaces conveniently located right next to instant-death pitfalls.

Example: Ice man's stage, Megaman. And every platformer since.

Breakable containers (boxes, barrels etc) that contain items inside. :p

[Edit/Update] Female characters with unrealistic proportions and as little clothing as possible.

Quick time events.

and as of late - cover systems.

Girly male protagonist
ex: Final Fantasy XII and almost any JRPG

Villian obsessed with evil turns into a monster
ex: Devil May Cry 2 & 3, plenty of others

TheBiGTW said:
Kijan said:
Fantastic start to the thread!
/trolling
My suggestion: the ice level in platform games with slippery surfaces conveniently located right next to instant-death pitfalls.

Example: Ice man's stage, Megaman. And every platformer since.

I know. :D

Oh, now I remembered one.

'Hah! This was a mere test, NOW YOU WILL FIGHT/SEE MY TRUE FORM! MWAHAHAHA!' -

Genre: RPG

Game: Almost all of them. :p

ohh, i got another one. open ended game play. example: gta series, fallou3t. why they call em open ended is beyond me. they aren't. you are in fact limited to what the developers want you to do. all it really is is one big huge level.

Bosses that you have to do something 3 times to defeat them (e.g Big Bomb-omb in Super Mario 64).

Oh and enemies that look like normal grunts but are a different colour because they're sergeants of something.

EDIT: And chainsaws as ridiculusly powerful weapons.

Not as often but coming into more of a center stage: alignment. Decisions you make affect the way the game plays out and how characters react to you.

Genre: usually RPGs
Example: Fallout 3, Fable 1&2

The protagonist being male

Genre: Any
Example: The GTA series, almost every FPS (Perfect Dark excepted)

Button mashing no longer matters. That is something that I've noticed in most fighters lately, if you button mash then you are destined to die. I don't know why they have taken the simple fun out of hitting every button possible, but at least in the fighting genre you must remember up, up, down, right, left, half-circle right, a, x, b, b, y; and time it appropriately.

Genre: Fighting
Example: Soulcalibur 4, Dead Or Alive 3 and 4

Protaginists that never speak. Why do all the other npc characters react to that as if the character is completely normal / not insane??

"You haven't said a single word in 12 hours! And you have a murderous glare in your eyes, and have killed about 600 people today. Perfectly sane!"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod