Why is the Korean War ignored?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by StickyGreenGamer, Aug 19, 2011.

1. StickyGreenGamer

Simple enough question. Military war shooters come in several flavors. The World War 2 games, the Vietnam games, ones set among current times.

To my recollection though, there has never been a game set during the Korean War. WHY?

Granted, weapons would be similar to most WW2 shooters, but there still are differences there. Not to mention plenty of interesting material to be used as far as storyline and battles.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Treyarch take a shot at one with the CoD series though. Whether their aware or not, they did lay some decent groundwork for characters with Black Ops. Frank Woods was a decorated Korea veteran, and Hudson was in the military during the time of conflict.

There you go Treyarch, completely free contribution from yours truly. I pointed out two characters you can use, now start reskinning a game.

2. Eyebrowsbv31

Eyebrowsbv31 Rookie

Because it didn't go well. It was never really a a war with battles that could be used in a video game; it was more omg thousands of N. Koreans Omg Gen MacArthur! Omg CHINESE!!!

Push shove push shove push shove.

That and it technically never ended, so, yeah.

And the N Koreans may nuke the studio.

3. danielrbischoff

Because no one knows shit about the Korean war.

4. StickyGreenGamer

I do! My mom's uncle was present for the violent "police action". and he shared more than a few stories. Most memorable would be the one about how he drew the short straw to go get coffee for his squad. When he came back, there was no squad left to give the coffee too. I couldn't even imagine.

With all this said. The Breakout at Chosin. Wikipedia it!

5. danielrbischoff

I think eyebrows is right though. Everything past World War II kind of got brushed over because it was so vague. It's not as black and white: hitler was bad, go kill him and all his friends.

In vietnam soldiers were doing all kinds of fucked up stuff on both sides of the line. Again, I don't know much about Korea so I won't say anything about it. Those themes just aren't as much "fun" and again, that's what video games go back to. As narratives grow more mature and gamers start to act in a manner deserving of mature content, I'm sure someone will make a game (example: the 1978 game the GTA guys is making about iran)

6. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

I always thought it was because U.S. history classes didn't have time to go over the Korean War and the Vietnam War. I was lucky though, my history teacher thought it would be fun to go backwards (from present time toward the U.S. Revolutionary War) and I ended up knowing all kinds of stuff about the Vietnam War.

7. Eyebrowsbv31

Eyebrowsbv31 Rookie

My grandfather was a tank commander in Korea, he took one in the, uh, gentleman's sausage, so to speak.

Anyways, Korea was pretty black and white, unless MacArthur had his way, a line of nukes in all the passes between China and Korea.

That and a lack of urban battles for developers to lock players into makes it an issue.

8. danielrbischoff

9. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I would LOVE to see a Korean War game. But there's not that much to make a game off of.

Still, I've heard stories about how they would have to move the mounted 50 cals because there were too many dead Chinese in front of it to shoot at anything but corpses. That's scary as hell.

10. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd play the hell out of a M*A*S*H point-and-click adventure game.

11. StickyGreenGamer

Haha, WOW! Just made the front page of GR! This is like, one of the proudest days of my life! 10 or so years of coming to this site, I never even imagined. Thanks Dan!

12. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

You know what else is also shafted? Pacific Front in WW2. There was the MoH game, and like one other game, and that was it.

13. danielrbischoff

^Didn't World at War have a Pacific Theater campaign? I could be wrong, I never played that game.

14. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

I dunno, I never played it either.

15. TheJx4

TheJx4 Rookie

I think so. It's basically CoD2 + MW with co-op.

16. danielrbischoff

:p

17. StickyGreenGamer

The MoH Pacific game was a pale comparison to the glory of MoH: Frontline (one of the true gems of the PS2). But yes, that theater also receives a lot less attention than the western front. WW1 gets ignored quite a bit, but that is a bit more understandable. Trench warfare, yuck.

Gran Torino anyone? "When I was in Korea, we used to stack dead fucks like you 5 feet high!"

18. cyberjim2000

cyberjim2000 Veteran

If you want a game about World War 1, you'd probably have to look to the skies (planes).

You also never see a lot of WWII games focusing on Germans in singleplayer. But obviously no one likes to play as the bad guy and the loser.

19. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

I wouldn't mind having the majority of the best equipment of the era.

20. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup it was Pacific