Tragedy in Aurora during Dark Knight Rises midnight showing

I realize that this is an emotional time, but I think people yelling at each other with emotional and anecdotal arguments need to calm down before they start screaming their opinions on American gun laws.

I can recommend some excellent books to form an informative opinion on the subject.

I will say this, my personal opinion on guns is that they are tools. I think the problem is the glorification of violence in American culture. As we've seen, outlawing particular things usually backfires. Now that's not saying I'm completely against gun control. I think you should at least go through some psychological evaluation before you're allowed with a weapon OF ANY KIND. You can easily tell that knife crimes increased in Britain after their extreme form of gun control.

Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America by Gary Kleck

As far as Americans and their guns, Lien, open carry is very-very rare and only acceptable in certain parts of the US. If you actually want to carry a weapon, you have to have what is called a Concealed Carry Permit. Which is actually pretty hard to obtain despite media bias.

I hope this post in informative, this is an extremely tragic event and I personally think it's too soon to start casting blame on anything other than the person who committed the crime. Emotionally charged arguments usually backfire. It would be better for us all to spend this time mourning and then collectively come up with a solution.

Jonathan_Leack said:
By the way, our government has been caught smuggling weapons and drugs into America INTENTIONALLY to try and push legislation—look up the Mexican Drug War. I don't trust anyone but myself and my family, and you shouldn't either.

I think you mixed up this part. One of the few things we still mass produce in this country is firearms. Why would we need to smuggle guns into the country when they are made here to begin with? The smuggling happens the other way. Guns are smuggled into Mexico to keep the cartels armed to the teeth and the drugs and smuggled into the US to keep us high as a kite. Nice little symbiotic relationship going on there.

C_nate said:
Jonathan_Leack said:
By the way, our government has been caught smuggling weapons and drugs into America INTENTIONALLY to try and push legislation—look up the Mexican Drug War. I don't trust anyone but myself and my family, and you shouldn't either.

I think you mixed up this part. One of the few things we still mass produce in this country is firearms. Why would we need to smuggle guns into the country when they are made here to begin with? The smuggling happens the other way. Guns are smuggled into Mexico to keep the cartels armed to the teeth and the drugs and smuggled into the US to keep us high as a kite. Nice little symbiotic relationship going on there.
I think Jonathan is referring to Operation Fast and Furious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fast_and_Furious

This morning my wife thought this sounded like something TDK's Joker would've done. Tonight, ABC News says that this was what he had in mind. Good catch, hun.

NickKmet said:
The problem with gun laws is that they rarely do anything to stop the real problem, which is the illegal acquisition of guns. While laws should be in place to stop somebody like this from getting a gun, most laws do little but make it harder to obtain weapons legally.

A better solution would be to put more programs in place designed to halt black market weapons trafficking. Easier said than done though.

But the problem with this solution is that all of the early reports are saying this guy never showed any signs of snapping before. No criminal history, no manifestos, no nothing. So what law could be passed to prevent someone who by all appearances is a normal average every day citizen from getting guns?

Even worse, he purchased all of his firearms legally from a sporting goods store so it's not like he even circumvented the system.

C_nate said:
NickKmet said:
The problem with gun laws is that they rarely do anything to stop the real problem, which is the illegal acquisition of guns. While laws should be in place to stop somebody like this from getting a gun, most laws do little but make it harder to obtain weapons legally.

A better solution would be to put more programs in place designed to halt black market weapons trafficking. Easier said than done though.

But the problem with this solution is that all of the early reports are saying this guy never showed any signs of snapping before. No criminal history, no manifestos, no nothing. So what law could be passed to prevent someone who by all appearances is a normal average every day citizen from getting guns?

Even worse, he purchased all of his firearms legally from a sporting goods store so it's not like he even circumvented the system.

EXACTLY

Anyone with a gun is dangerous. ANYONE.

From my point of view, the 2nd amendment is an outdated, misinterpreted and abused "right." I'm not saying NO ONE CAN HAVE GUNS EVER, but why do we still have individuals wrapping themselves in the constitution in situations like these?

danielrbischoff said:
From my point of view, the 2nd amendment is an outdated, misinterpreted and abused "right." I'm not saying NO ONE CAN HAVE GUNS EVER, but why do we still have individuals wrapping themselves in the constitution in situations like these?
Daniel I really respect you and think of you as an intelligent person who can make an informative choice about this. Please don't misunderstand me and think I'm belittling anti gun people's opinion. I 'want' and try to be a very open minded person.

I don't think any amendment should be trivialized. And that is why I'm a member of both the ACLU and NRA, I'm not a republican and I consider myself very socially liberal. And believe me I've found myself at odds with the NRA many times. I support the LGBT movement, feminism, and on top of that I'm also a vegan. So you can understand the unique situation I find myself in.

I will say this, if you have a chance, check out the book I mentioned. But when people ask me to justify why I supported OWS protest, why I practice skeet shooting, why I always plead the 5th around peace officers.

Simply because I can.

We should just give everyone a gun and then do a big shootout, Red Dead Redemption style.

You'll be dead soon. Try to take Joe Taylor of Cleveland with you.

It is pretty easy to get a gun here. One night I was at work, someone tried to come in the front door when my wife was here. The next day, we went to Acadamy. She picked out a gun and we were on the way home with it an hour later. She keeps it under her pillow, locked of course.

My heart goes out to the wounded and families of the victims. It's horrible that tradgeties such as this happen.

Longo_2_guns said:
We should just give everyone a gun and then do a big shootout, Red Dead Redemption style.

You'll be dead soon. Try to take Joe Taylor of Cleveland with you.
I'm danielrbischoff and I fully endorse this message.

deiCB.png

I did it.

Anyways, it's an American right, however I agree that gun laws in the US are terrible, and like weed, will be found by those who crave to possess it, regardless of law.

A gun is not a tool. A gun is a weapon.

My knives in the kitchen were created to cut foods. Those are tools. A gun was created to KILL. Maybe if you lock yourself out of your house your gun can be used as a tool to shoot the lock off. Or maybe if you don't have a bottle opener and your beer isn't a twist off you can shoot off the top of the bottle (just don't swallow any broken glass shards). But otherwise I don't see it as a tool.

You place a gun in someone's hand and that person is now dangerous. I mean, people get angry! The best example is road rage. I heard of a shooting where a man pulled a gun out of his glove compartment and killed two people in another vehicle because of road rage. It's not uncommon for people to get furious and they sometimes make a mistake. Put a gun in his hand and they'll make a mistake they can never take back. If that guy didn't own a gun, nobody would have died that day.

Then there's the accidents. People shooting friends or family in their own home more often than actually shooting a robber. I heard about a 8 yr old girl who shot her father in the knee thinking it was a toy. I mean this is some serious shit man.

The hard truth is, owning is a gun is NOT a right, it's a privilege. Taking away guns is not about taking away freedoms, it's about saving lives.

Funny video. now show me what happens 99% of the time a robbery happens.

It won't stop all violence but it can help reduce it. Considering how much of it actually goes on down there in the US a little would go a long, long way.

I actually know what I'm talking about. And it's safe to say I probably know more about the effects of gun violence than any of you. But you guys go ahead and bury your heads in the sand. If you know a family member who snaps and owns a gun, you'll see the only thing a gun protects is one's pride.

Usually when shootings happen I think "that's sad/unfortunate" but this one really hit close to home because the people who died were doing the exact same thing as I was but in a different state. I loving watching movies, I love the experience of going to a midnight showing with your friends and watching a big film before anyone else. And to think that now the activity I love so much and it's location can be a spot for a murder spree. Before the only crimes committed in theaters were bringing in outside food and Michael bay films but now there's gonna be that thought of what if some other maniac tries to commit the same atrocity? I seriously hope that shooter rots for the rest of his life. Is it bad that I hope this event does deter people from seeing TDKR? I already know news stations might be doing reports saying that the batman franchise inspires killings.

As for gun control I'm on the side of no matter if it's illegal or legal if someone really wants to acquire guns and harm others they'll find a way. It's not a pointless fight but IMO it's a fight that might not have a ultimate victory. I think people should be able to have some guns (hunting or the reason paradox's wife bought a gun) but at least might it to where I could go to the store and be a proud owner of a AK or M16. Glorification of violence could be a reason but humans have always been obsessed with violence, we just notice it more because of the internet now. Times are getting crazy, I just hope the world doesn't go insane soon (or at all if that's even possible).

I think some of the questions that should be raised is the types of guns that are available to civilians now. Should a civilian be able to own a semi-automatic assault rifle? Should they then also be able to go out and buy a 90 round drum magazine for it? What for? Are they hunting deer with flak jackets? To protect your family? From who, the Terminator? A glock already holds what, 16, 17 rounds? What do you need with a 32 round extended magazine? These types of things I think should not be produced and sold to average citizens. Of course it's a little later now I guess since there is an estimated 200 millions guns floating around out there in the US. It's unreal.

Of course there will be some people who try to blame media and our culture which I think is a mistake. People have been killing each other since the dawn of mankind. We've always been a violent species, I think it's in our DNA or something. Only thing is now we're much more efficient at killing each other. Anybody blaming movies or games or whatever else is just looking to get their name in some headlines.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle