The Future of Graphics?

Wes said:
It'll be awhile before we have another N64/PS1 breakthrough generation of gaming. I have a feeling before we get there we'll see a couple pieces of crap trying to push new technology. Just like before we got to N64/PS1 we had the Sega CD and 3D0 who were pushing their new realistic FMV graphics all while forgetting that the games are also supposed to be fun to play.

I can just see it now... iFruity; the new gaming console from Apple. It's $2000 but it's well worth it. It features Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology. Don't forget to also buy it's two launch-title games: "Walking down a side-walk" and "Making Pizza".

lol, I agree. However times are different now. Back then there was no internet, well, there was, but nobody had it in the early 90's unless you were filthy rich. My point is, the only way you could really see for yourself what 3D0 games looked like was if a friend had it. You couldn't just go on YouTube and check it out. The only thing we had to go on were magazines, and good luck finding a review of the Sega CD in Nintendo Power. Today if a console is a piece of crap, we're only a few clicks away from finding that out.

What I like about this video is the narrator explains in simple detail what the hell he's talking about. Unlimited Detail Rendering blah blah blah sounds like Sega Genesis' "Blast Processing" to me. WTF was Blast Possessing? I don't know but you better buy a Genesis cause it sounds cool. Today, that shit ain't going to fly. So if the narrator didn't explain to me what he meant I'd just assume it was more marketing BS to trick kids into hounding their mom for a $900 video game console.

Graphics today look pretty damn realistic and our technology moves so fast every five years that I wouldn't be surprised if we see this in gaming as soon as 2014. But like Wes said, it won't be perfected until game designers have toyed around with it for a few years.

drathbone said:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2Z0fTT/shuttersalt.com/blog/most-amazing-time-lapse-video-milky-way-ever-made-seriously

Plz make games look like that
Started watching video...

Turned music up a little.

Noticed White Clouds.

<3.

To be fair...what else can they do besides smooth out polygons more?

I mean, graphical capabilities can only go so far until it hits uncanny valley. Maybe we should step back and experiment a bit first.

LinksOcarina said:
To be fair...what else can they do besides smooth out polygons more?

I mean, graphical capabilities can only go so far until it hits uncanny valley. Maybe we should step back and experiment a bit first.

Very true. Uncanny valley is not something you want to experience in entertainment. I think what they can most improve doesn't necessarily have to do with graphical realism. Instead of trying to make Joe character look like Joe in real life, they should be working on making physics engines that are in the vein of Dice's Frostbite 2. Environments that are more interactive, etc.

danielrbischoff said:
NickKmet said:
Environments that are more interactive, etc.
This x A MILLION
Yes, I think that's what they meant when everything has atoms. Like if you were walking in the snow, you would see bunch of footprints and snow going everywhere.

UghRochester said:
danielrbischoff said:
NickKmet said:
This x A MILLION
Yes, I think that's what they meant when everything has atoms. Like if you were walking in the snow, you would see bunch of footprints and snow going everywhere.

Their thing seemed to be about eliminating polygon restrictions more than anything. You don't need to do that to make environments more interactive/destructive, unless you're trying to literally model the real, physical world - which, frankly, is unnecessary to make a good, convincing game and facsimile of reality.

UghRochester said:
danielrbischoff said:
NickKmet said:
This x A MILLION
I'm talking more about machines doing shit, everything being able to react to the player's actions... like why don't all games have like 20 hours of content that players can sit and watch on the TVs like GTA IV.

danielrbischoff said:
UghRochester said:
danielrbischoff said:
NickKmet said:
This x A MILLION
I'm talking more about machines doing s***, everything being able to react to the player's actions... like why don't all games have like 20 hours of content that players can sit and watch on the TVs like GTA IV.

Development schedules, team size, not being GTA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod