The Future of Graphics?

cyberjim2000

Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

Called "Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology". Instead of rendering polygon models, this technology instead renders voxels as tiny atoms. It sort of looks good but there's some obvious downsides rendering games like this. For example, we haven't seen stuff move in this engine and how well either.

A couple of developers already commented on the engine. John Carmack said in his twitter account that current console technology probably can't handle this type of rendering... but maybe in several years.

So what do you guys think? Are we staring at the future of graphics in games?

I liked to see more of the shadowing and lighting of the games as well as artists' creations. Perhaps it will make games look extraordinary, but like Carmack said, maybe in several years we can see more of its power or eventually have it with consoles.

He makes a lot of bold (British) claims, but I simply can't see this tech being used by your average game developer any time soon. First, gamers in general need to have access to the processing power required to run that. Second, gamers in general need to be able to afford the processing power required to run that.

But I'm not discouraging the development of this technology. Even though I think its implementation is not to be expected soon, eventually, I know it will be used commonly.

They're gonna milk it and charge the consumers a fuckload for whatever console they use it for!

PS6 - £1500! BUY IT NOW!

Somebody posted this like.... last year. I swear. Too lazy to look for it though. But really, until these guys have a physics engine to go with it, who cares? Can you imagine computing the movement of those billions of little atoms? That's a lot of processing power.

MattAY said:
They're gonna milk it and charge the consumers a fuckload for whatever console they use it for!

PS6 - £1500! BUY IT NOW!
What the fuck is that strange money symbol?! Here, take this $!

It'll be awhile before we have another N64/PS1 breakthrough generation of gaming. I have a feeling before we get there we'll see a couple pieces of crap trying to push new technology. Just like before we got to N64/PS1 we had the Sega CD and 3D0 who were pushing their new realistic FMV graphics all while forgetting that the games are also supposed to be fun to play.

I can just see it now... iFruity; the new gaming console from Apple. It's $2000 but it's well worth it. It features Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology. Don't forget to also buy it's two launch-title games: "Walking down a side-walk" and "Making Pizza".

NickKmet said:
Somebody posted this like.... last year. I swear. Too lazy to look for it though. But really, until these guys have a physics engine to go with it, who cares? Can you imagine computing the movement of those billions of little atoms? That's a lot of processing power.

Yeah, it's just now that they actually have something to show.

TheNesMan said:
MattAY said:

PS6 - £1500! BUY IT NOW!
What the f*** is that strange money symbol?! Here, take this $!

It's a pound sterling boy! Trumps your peasants dollar anyday :brow:

You're not even real dollars...you're CANADIAN dollars?!...get outta here!! ;)

You know what I love about the pound? The bills are different sizes based on the value of them. LOVE that.

MattAY said:
Notes....the NOTES are different sizes.

You'll get there <3

Yeah, just like the trunk of your car is the boot, and a cigarette is a fag, and driving on the left side of the road is normal.

Nope.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle