The Bourbon topic.

GRColin

Rookie
America's gift to the world. Not apple pie, Playboy, NFL, or modern warfare - Bourbon. We're not talking about your Jack Daniel's No. 7 either. There are few things better than coming home from a long day at work or running errands and pouring a little Kentucky straight into a glass and sipping away.

Here's a topic of appreciation to the fine tasting drink known the world over.

Right now, I'm enjoying the last of my Knob Creek with a bit of maraschino cherry juice and a maraschino cherry. It's also great straight when sipped straight, in a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Feeling different? Try substituting Tequila in your Margarita for some Maker's Mark.

When sipping it straight, it's best to have it neat as it won't dilute the alcohol or cheapen the flavour. Neat tip: If you really want your bourbon chilled, put soap stones in the freezer and drop them in your glass when nice and chilled - It won't dilute the drink.

Pair your favourite bourbon with apple slices or oranges.

A few bourbon's worth noting:

Blanton's
Maker's Mark
Knob Creek
Maker's 46
Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
Woodford Reserve

And last but not least, Eagle Rare.

Tip of the hat to - Jameson Irish Whiskey. Common, trendy, but worth it's reputation.

The Manhattan:

* 2 measures rye whisky (bourbon, Canadian or Tennessee whisky can also be used)
* 1 measure sweet vermouth
* 1 measure dry vermouth
* A dash of Angostura bitters
* Garnish: orange peel and a cocktail cherry

Add all the ingredients plus ice into a mixing glass and stir until chilled, making sure not to cloud the drink. Place the cherry into a chilled martini glass and strain the cocktail over the cherry, finally, rub the orange peel around the rim of the glass and twist it over the drink.

Rum is the best, except for spiced rum which is shit. Whiskey of all sorts follows in second. Vodka is for Russians and 16 year old girls.

I love a good Whiskey with ice. Plus it makes me feel well-off haha!

My drink at the moment is vodka and coke or beer if I'm out. Nothing fancy.

When Christmas comes, the port, the sherry, it ALL comes out! Cant wait.

All of you coming in here talking about 20 dollar Vodka's and mixing your bourbons with soda make me hang my head.

:(

Lethean said:
All of you coming in here talking about 20 dollar Vodka's and mixing your bourbons with soda make me hang my head.

By "all of you," I assume you mean "just Madster." Because everyone else has been good.

Lethean said:

What makes me hang my head is my inability to get drunk. I bought whiskey (Jack) back in September for the first time; and it was my second time drinking (first was a small bottle of sake). I drank about 4 to 5 damn fingers of the stuff, didn't feel a thing.

Like the taste though. Straight, no ice.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
Lethean said:

What makes me hang my head is my inability to get drunk. I bought whiskey (Jack) back in September for the first time; and it was my second time drinking (first was a small bottle of sake). I drank about 4 to 5 damn fingers of the stuff, didn't feel a thing.

Like the taste though. Straight, no ice.

Try Stroh or if you're feeling lucky:

SPIRYTUS REKTYFIKOWANY 96% - straight drinking may cause damage on your gastric tract, so be careful. :)

I'll add something more meaningful in a while, don't have the time now for a longer post.

I went to the Maker's Mark distillery this summer, and since then I've been making efforts to enjoy bourbon more (and properly). I enjoy a Maker's Mark or George Dickle on the rocks.

My favorite drink as a youth was Wild Turkey. It's probably why i have so much hair on my chest. And why I may never be able to have children.

Whenever I drink bourbon anymore I go with Wild Turkey 101 or Bulleit or however the hell you spell it because I like the look of the bottle.

Anyone who takes their spirits too seriously bug me. Oh, you didn't drink that whiskey with stones? You used actual ice? You mixed in a splash of Ginger ale? Oh HEAVENS NO!

used44 said:
Anyone who takes their spirits too seriously bug me. Oh, you didn't drink that whiskey with stones? You used actual ice? You mixed in a splash of Ginger ale? Oh HEAVENS NO!

Yeah, I agree with that Used. I really was kidding about that. I only think it's a waste to mix it with soda when it's like a 40 dollar of Bourbon or a really expensive Scotch. (Manhattan's can be an exception to the rule with bourbon.) Then it's jus tpointless - You have your mixing drinks and your sipping drinks. If it's a 20 dollar bottle of Jack, mix it with coke. Only way it'll taste good imo ;)

Worst bourbon - Old Crow.

Kinda want to go to the Maker's Distillery Gifted! How's George Dickle?

Serendipity.

This cracks me up because I'm actually looking for a good bourbon for my brother. He's building a slick wetbar in his house that will probably be done by New Year's. So guess what he wants for Christmas? People to help him stock it. And I have next to no experience on the subject, so...thanks.

I like to enjoy one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer...when I drink alone...cause I'm bad to the bone.

Ok ok I'm done for now, I'll just move it on over elsewhere...

MattAY said:
Low expectations....ALWAYS come here with low expectations.

That should be posted on the top of the forum.

I'd say different liquors fit different occasions. Bourbon is a good choice but Christmas time I'm all about Bailey's, I love me some jack and coke for new years, Malibu Rum is good for spring, Tequila just feels like summer time, crown royal and gingerale for the fall and finally beer all year round!

Bretimus_v2 said:
Serendipity.

This cracks me up because I'm actually looking for a good bourbon for my brother. He's building a slick wetbar in his house that will probably be done by New Year's. So guess what he wants for Christmas? People to help him stock it. And I have next to no experience on the subject, so...thanks.

Well then come right on in!

You could always play it safe and get a crowd favourite like Maker's Mark. It's perfect for making Manhattan's and Old Fashiond's, it's subtle and relatively inexpensive. Knob Creek is good but coming in at 94 proof it has a bit more kick to it that may turn some casual drinkers off. Really, you can never go wrong with Maker's Mark. It isn't considered "high end" but it can compete with the high end bourbons. If you really want to go the extra mile, pick him up some Blanton's. It will run you about 48 dollars a bottle as opposed to the Maker's 23-28 though. For all around purposes though, I'd really suggest the Maker's. It's inexpensive enough that you have some wiggle room to buy him a nice cocktail shaker & strainer or other ingredients such as sweet vermouth (around 8 dollars for a good quality vermouth) and bitters - A staple for bartenders.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle