The Board of Education, Dictating What They Want

Green_Lantern said:
Watch...Pretty soon Texas will never acknowledge the fact that we ever had slaves...

Well... Texas didn't have the same history with slavery that the rest of the eastern states did... I mean it was pretty much wilderness territory up to the Civil War.

The whole "Texas session" sentiment isn't one of "we are a Conservative bastion and we want keep it that way" it is rooted in the fact that The Republic of Texas was a nation unto itself before statehood. One that its citizens fought for with Mexico for many years before the US even stepped in.

Sure, it is a stupid ideology, but the state comes by it honestly.

Eh. Same difference. Steven F Austin tried to sign a treaty with Mexico and Mexico responded by putting him in jail while he was down there... so I mean they kind of started it.

If you come visit I'll take you to the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum and we can catch The Story of Texas in IMAX 3D!!!

Mexicans and Injuns flying at you as big as a BUILDING!

UrbanMasque said:
The big picture is - our kids are stupid, so lets dumb down and whitewash the material.

Bullshit, because our kids are stupid due to the fact that they DONT KNOW WHAT IS WHITEWASHED.

Teach people. Get credible teachers in to teach properly, stop following a broken, almost processed system that treats kids like numbers to be checked or misused, and you get REAL education. The shit we got maybe fifteen years ago before it went down the tubes completely.

It is also a parents problem. I have heard of numerous teachers claim parents don't do or know anything about the education their children get. To them is a free babysitter and when the babysitter gives their "perfect" child a bad bad they bitch up a storm. So what the US education system really needs is parents to take part and really care about their kids education. One that is based on facts not political and ideological viewpoints.

the mexican american war is pretty damn fascinating.

so just before the mexican american war mexico had gone through an independence war of its own. Santa Anna (from Spain, but now swearing allegiance to Mexico) had become mexico's most famous lame duck general who would take any opportunity to curry favor with the people...and they bit (they bit a few times).

With the help of el presidentes and their respective cabinets (who had no other option really as the independence war saw to that), Anna could swing in and out of popularity with the people and he eventually swung himself into the mexican american war. But this isn't about Santa Anna really, a treaty had already been signed and it was a miscommunication that led to Stephen F. Austin's imprisonment, these last few paragraphs are just to shed some light on how badly Santa Anna sucked... broken promises, ect. ect.

But america wasn't in good shape, either. The cholera epidemic had just broke, the media was overran with politicians aggrandizing their own agendas, and America's royalty, the northerners, were primed and ready for a new story to grace the front pages. So let's go to war.

Not to say that there wasn't a good reason for heading into a war with Mexico at the time. Mexico wanting to abolish slavery on their land; mexico suddenly enforcing taxes and tarrifs on their land, just a few no-nos, but the way I personally see it is James Polk wanted the American border to lie on the Rio Grande purely and quite simply out of aesthetic greed, knowing full well that that wasn't the border agreed upon at the time of purchase.

so Polk pushed, then Mexican American War.

yeah, that's what I really think. Polk was playing decorator. seeing how things turned out, I can't complain. texas history is fucking awesome.

Texas is the largest purchaser of textbooks in the country. seems they've got stroke!

Stephen F. Austin was imprisoned for 3 months
15d4eft.gif

decent? interesting choice of words. well, so long as we're writing the textbooks, you are correct.
i just wanted to segue back into the original topic heheh But there's a historian or two (thousand) who'd condemn Polk for pushing into a war after a treaty had already been signed. But in retrospect they'll all be lauded. Not that I'm playing monday morning president or railing against Polk's decision because it was a judgment made for the time. This decision surely helped move US towards a civil war as well, which leads to xyz

^There's a Washington history requirement now for 6th-8th grade to graduate from high school. If you weren't here in middle school, you're giving up your free period in high school to learn washington state history so you can graduate. I personally think state history is the dumbest shit to teach, especially to make it a requirement, and that it shouldn't be a required teaching in ANY state.

StalfrosCC said:
If you come visit I'll take you to the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum and we can catch The Story of Texas in IMAX 3D!!!

Mexicans and Injuns flying at you as big as a BUILDING!

I've been there to see that movie!!

Chris_Crime said:
decent? interesting choice of words. well, so long as we're writing the textbooks, you are correct.
i just wanted to segue back into the original topic heheh But there's a historian or two (thousand) who'd condemn Polk for pushing into a war after a treaty had already been signed. But in retrospect they'll all be lauded. Not that I'm playing monday morning president or railing against Polk's decision because it was a judgment made for the time. This decision surely helped move US towards a civil war as well, which leads to xyz

Just to clarify, most historians consider James Polk one of the better presidents that we have had comparable to others out of there, but that's off topic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod