The biggest-WTF moment in video game history

The_Joker

Rookie
No doubt about it folks.

Some harp about Sephiroth slaying Aeris, Samus being a woman, the MGS3 final twist, and many others, but is there any doubting this moment has to go down as the biggest WTF ever?

It made you gasp, then cry. Then you hated life, you questioned everything you ever believed. The very foundation on which you built your life crumbles under your feet as you view the computer screen in complete shock and awe.

You couldn't believe it, and you doubted you'd ever quite believe anything again.

As you had done a million times before, when you got to the complex river in Oregon Trail, you purchased assistance from the local Indians, exchanging goods for services. For years, you played the game, just...assuming getting help from Indians 100% assured safe passage across the river.

...but then, one day, perhaps years after your first oregon trail encounter, the Indians can't save you. One day, that fateful day, your wagon tilts and goes belly up, and there's nothing those bags of beads you gave the Indian can do about it.

You couldn't even get a refund!

The Indian bartering option was supposed to be the failsafe. When things looked hairy, but you were intelligent enough to save some extra bucks or some unneeded supplies, you could always turned to the Indians to help you across. And you thought it always worked. The Indians were like your mom when you were little, no matter what was going on, you could always go to her, and she could help you.

But then...you grew up, and found out that the world isn't such a wonderful place. There is no easy button, no reset switch, no easy way to just get out of trouble or way to assure automatic success in life. You hated this truth. You tried to reject it. It made you want to ball up into the fetal position in the corner of your room and give up on life. But there it was, right on the computer screen, a list of lost supplies running across the bottom of a cheaply animated image of a flipped wagon.

You didn't really understand this, until you paid the Indians to raft you across and still flipped the wagon. And then, in that very moment, everything hit you. You could do everything right, you could save up enough money or supplies to pay the Indians at every single river possible, and still...one day, one time, not even they could save you.

*tear*

Paradox said:
what is this oregon trail you speak of?

oregon trail = the single greatest adventure game ever made.

any way from what i got from the first two sentences, im gonna say the ending of halo3.

Paradox said:
what is this oregon trail you speak of?

Ahahaha. Hahahaha. Good one. Seriously, ahahahaha. I nearly fell off my seat. Oh boy, that was a good laugh, thanks.

Anyway, Joker I've got to agree with you, it was a pain in the ass when that happened...

damned indians....just when you think they can't fail you, they do.

hahahaha. My uncle from Georgia would be proud of that racist remark. Fat hypocritc bastard.

This is all sort of blowing my mind. I didn't think there was any twenty-something on earth who hadn't played/loved Oregon Trail.

For those who don't know, Oregon Trail is a heroic game about the american dream: trying to make it rich by digging for gold, but usually ending up with a broken ankle in a snowstorm, futily hoping you can still make it to the gold fields before all the plots are gone...

The_Joker said:
No doubt about it folks.

Some harp about Sephiroth slaying Aeris, Samus being a woman, the MGS3 final twist, and many others, but is there any doubting this moment has to go down as the biggest WTF ever?
I knew when I saw the Trailer for MGS3 that it was you know who(I don't want to spoil it) cause how could Solid Snake go back in time? The game takes place in the 60's and if you play Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes at the end of the credits they say when Solid Snake was born.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod