Sports m***********

I like ground and pound, but lay and pray is a completely other and different thing. GSP is a smart champ, but he's an extremely boring champ. He basically puts his gameplan together to smother your strengths, which means...neither person stands out. At least Anderson let's you throw your salvo switch before he rocks your ass.

im fine with ground and pound, when it's productive. GSp ground and pound is not productive. it's just to protect his belt. it serves no other purpose. he needs to go.

What he did works, though, can't argue with that. Splay out on your opponent, kill the clock, repeat 5 months down the line at another PPV, and that's where the business end comes into play. Montreal fans seem eager enough to pay out good money and sell out that stadium to cheer on their boy. The business end of sports sucks. It's why Cena is scripted to win in wrestling all the damn time. It's what keeps my cowboys from doing anything productive but win in the television ratings and Romo jersey sales, because the actual team sucks, but that's a rant for another day. And here it is on display in the UFC. Nobody in-house calling GSP out for that performance.

And nobody's talking about tonight's Bradley fight. Dunno when the switch began from boxing to mma, and i'm guessing it's because boxing can be so crooked, but it sucks because those two went toe to toe tonight. The russian, a nobody underdog, showed so much heart; that's the sort of fight i like seeing go the distance.
It's too late for boxing, MMA's the winner there, but i'll never support MMA wholeheartedly because, god dammit, i bore easily.

I meant it as a sexual advance. Is it necessary to point it out?

I wish I could say that I enjoy watching a sport because of the sport itself, but that's not really true. I usually have to have a team that I'm behind and cheering for. It's a lot easier (more interesting) when the teams are global rather than local, I find. For example, I don't give a penny about L.A. vs. Chicago or what have you, but I'll put down a dollar for China vs. Lithuania. Know what I mean?

I understand what you're saying. Our teams are marketed as an extension of the city, at the benefit of the local economy and the team's image.
I know my city benefits greatly from our sports teams' ubiquity, not success. We're driven by oil and machinery, not blind rage. Our sports have been co-opted, manufactured and refined to a point that our passions no longer hold an edge.
And it comes at the cost of lost nationalism. I'm always jealous of other countries come the Olympics, and not because of the games or overall medal count but because of the passion shown. We're not the Olé, Olé, Olé types :( fuck, what I wouldn't do to have some of that hooligan passion at Cowboys Stadium. I want that! That sort of passion, it's not american cool, i guess. We're more of a crazy hats type. The flag jacket type. Our talent crosses state lines, not country borders, when they go off to play for another team, so we don't have that emotional investment come the Olympics because it was never there to begin with. Our rivalries are insular.

America's geography is the real problem. Our country's size means we can basically have the "World Series" in our own backyard and feel okay about calling it the World Series. The real reason we don't like soccer? The Atlantic Ocean. If we could do US vs. Lithuania, US vs. Sweden, US vs. Italy all in a month, separated by a single timezone like they can in Europe, we'd love soccer too.

I didn't find GSPs performance boring. He was active on the ground, avoided Diaz's submission attempts and even stood with him and out landed him on the feet. It was a dominant, one sided performance. It wasn't uneventful like the Hardy fight.

I think GSP should hang it up though. Not because of his fighting style but since that ACL tear he seems to lost some of that explosiveness. Look at some of his takedowns and attempts. Didn't look as quick with them either.

And holy shit Diaz made a ton of excuses and wants an immediate rematch.

Takedowns are worth too much...When you don't work much offs she after the TD. Hendricks looked good but some of those takedowns saw Conduit right back up.

I'd have watched the Bradley fight but I could only squeeze in one event.

Lethean said:
I didn't find GSPs performance boring.
WR wears only the finest in rose-colored glasses.
He bought them at Express.
He waited for the sale to go off first, because he's not about to be seen buying a sale item, that's so gauche.

Lethean said:
I didn't find GSPs performance boring. He was active on the ground, avoided Diaz's submission attempts and even stood with him and out landed him on the feet. It was a dominant, one sided performance. It wasn't uneventful like the Hardy fight.

I think GSP should hang it up though. Not because of his fighting style but since that ACL tear he seems to lost some of that explosiveness. Look at some of his takedowns and attempts. Didn't look as quick with them either.

And holy shit Diaz made a ton of excuses and wants an immediate rematch.

Takedowns are worth too much...When you don't work much offs she after the TD. Hendricks looked good but some of those takedowns saw Conduit right back up.

I'd have watched the Bradley fight but I could only squeeze in one event.

pfft.

it could have been a lot worse yes. but be honest, did you at ANY point think GSP was going to finish the fight, in any way?

the answer is no, and the answer is almost always no. you knew it was going 5 rounds.

I never said the performance was boring. Just same old can't finish but can control the fight GSP

sorry i did call him a boring fool, i was extremely drunk and obnoxious last night lol. its the fact i know he will never finish that makes it boring to me i guess.

Optimus-Crime said:
Lethean said:
I didn't find GSPs performance boring.
WR wears only the finest in rose-colored glasses.
He bought them at Express.
He waited for the sale to go off first, because he's not about to be seen buying a sale item, that's so gauche.

Pfft. I'm all about a sale!

Seriously though the only thing that bothered me was GSPs lack of attempts at a rear naked choke. I think his problem is he respects his opponents strengths too much and maybe thought it'd be risky to try and submit Diaz and he may give up control or get reversed but that's the name of the game. Gotta take some risks.

as the champion, you really don't. champion's advantage exists in every fight sport. judges, crowd ...promoter -- they're all about the champ. that's fine, that shouldn't change, but it definitely exists. it should be incumbent upon the challenger to win, but like Drain says, 5 fights without finishing out makes GSP look less than a champ.

And that's my biggest problem with GSP, he plays it too safe, he never strays from his plan. Each fight seems so predetermined.

I like him personally, but if you think about the types of fights any other champ is going to put out there... He doesn't even compare.

Velasquez, Jones, Silva, Benson, Aldo, Johnson. Exciting fighters.

GSP, great fighter.

I'm not saying he's bad, he's just not exciting usually. Admittedly, watch him jab his way to victory and against a mentally defeated Josh Kos was amazing.

Icepick said:
With winter finally starting to recede (for those of us that experience a true winter anyways), the snowbanks are parting and making way for soggy grass that smells of dogshit, and that can only mean sport season is upon us.

what do you asshats enjoy doing? My new years resolution was to make the city rugby team as I haven't played in a few years so it should be interesting. Baseball fans? Tennis? That sport full of limp wristed fruitloops you call soccer/football?

I train and compete in Judo. I've been training and competing for over four years now and I train two to three times a week, but I only compete a couple of times a year. It's honestly the only sport I enjoy "playing". I honestly can't play sports that involve a ball. I'm really bad at them. Like, terrible.

I know it's not really a sport but I go to the gym three times a week for weight training, but my regieme involves power lifting. Power liftng is a sport itself but I don't compete in it, I just train in it to benefit my Judo.

I trained in Wing Chun Kung Fu for just over a year but I stopped because quite frankly, I wanted more free time. Working full time, going to Judo, going to the gym AND trying to do Wing Chun? I got tired of coming home at 9 PM four nights a week, I wanted more free time. Plus, doing all this was getting just a bit too expensive. I had to drop something, so I dropped Wing Chun. I liked Wing Chun but I wasn't very good at it, it's a very "thinking" kinda art and I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, I'm more of a physical person than mental.

I wouldn't mind trying MMA one day, maybe when I get more experience in Judo but at the same time, it all just comes down to time and money, so it probably won't happen. Good thing about Judo? It's usually VERY cheap compared to other martial art clubs.

In regards to watching sport, I don't watch much sport at all. I like to watch almost all competitive combat sports, most notably UFC/MMA and Judo. I sometimes watch cricket with my dad, but that's about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod