shitty new ads

dUKE

Rookie
the new server switch was relatively painless except for the new crap ads at the bottom of reviews. i believe our corprate overlords are making yet another stupid mistake. morons. i hate them. the obnoxious ads, that is. i will try to get rid of them. wish me luck, it didn't work with the double undelined crap ads.

I was going to make a topic about this to see what was the matter. Thank you Duke. Tell them it will hurt traffic because people don't want to look at obnoxious ads. That might work, because I have a feeling that they're all jews. In the good, money saving ways that us Mennonites share.

If you need any alcohol and find yourself in Fresno, I have a shitload of it that my family threw out. No guarantees that I'll actually be able to get it, but still a lovely gesture.

GOOD LUCK DUKE!

Also, if I'm looking at a Skate 2 review, I don't care about ice skating in Park City, Utah.

Mozilla Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
ADBlock Plus
http://adblockplus.org/en/
ABP element hiding helper
http://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper

Install all of the above 3 in order of top to bottom..

Go to a GR review
click on the 'ABP' sign in top right hand corner of your window
click 'select element to hide'
click on the shitty ads on the bottom of the reviews

Rinse and repeat until all of the disgusting ads are gone.

Done!
Enjoy an ad-free, perfectly clean, quicker loading Game Revolution.

Longo_2_guns said:
I was going to make a topic about this to see what was the matter. Thank you Duke. Tell them it will hurt traffic because people don't want to look at obnoxious ads.

I agree, the more ads and shit they try to "sneak" in, the less appealing is GR, the less appealing, the less people, the less clicking the ads, the less money.
I've been here for a year, and it seems like it is getting cluster fucked with new types of ad system each month, as if GR was a patient who needed experimental medicine.

Good luck Duke.

I actually downloaded an ad blocker add on for firefox to get rid of all the crap ads here on GR.

Now it's just sweet reviews. :)

GR was beginning to look like CCC.

Evil, corporate overlords who have NO idea what there doing. You can't put ad space in the middle of a review, no website does that because it infringes on the review space for the user to read. It adds unnecessary clutter, basically.

If it doesn't work, and your stuck with it...."sigh" here comes a pop-up blocker.

All of the ads here make this place seriously look like an Angelfire or Tripod page from the 90s. I guess I need to finally get that Adblocker for my Firefox. It's a shame, because there actually are some good banner ads here that would interest gamers, but if I'm going to have to block the intrusive ones then I may as well block them all.

Crave get their revenue from us.
So they should listen to us.
We'll just get ad blockers, I am also considering it now, after my IE is getting clusterfucked by visiting this site.

I know, I know, GET FIREFOX, but it should not be neccesary to download a new browser, just to enjoy ONE site...

madster111 said:
Enjoy an ad-free, perfectly clean, quicker loading Game Revolution.
Anyone surprised to see madster pipe up with this "advice" again?
Nice try, but it's not a solution. Its just a mask. It's like those deodorizer commercials which say some sprays just mask odours, don't mask, eliminate them.
Well, until the annoying/intrusive ads are gone, the problem still exists. You should not need to install extra add-ons and utilities to browse a website.

Except Java. Or Flash. Or Quicktime...

or...

why crave tho.... crave seems like an internet tool's website, I liked this site cause it wasnt ruled by corporate overlords... its my escape from payed reviews and now crave has turned it into yet another whore of the internet with ads spammed everywhere.... and why is there ads for ashley furniture on a gaming site.... and why do they assume i need to lose 25lbs cause im a gamer..... curse u crave and google!!!!

One thing that is bothering me about the ads, are the regional ads.
(I am from Denmark)
And the danish ads that I can see, are scam sites, malware sites, and they are all illegal by danish laws (if they were located in Denmark) but they are not.

Example:

"Free cell phone games.." says the add (In danish: Gratis mobil spil)
It tells you to insert your number, and they will send you the free game..
BUT it will also charge you 45 DKR ($8 US) for subscribing for some crap.

Another one is an IQ test, with ONE question, and you have to send the right answer to get your IQ.
But by doing this, you'll be charged with $8 US.

These sites do make GR look like some cheap ass scam site (for danish users).
And there are probably plenty other regional ads that are like this.

Such sites that charges people money, even though they have FREE written with large fonts are illegal due to tricking younger audience to send text messages and get charge $ 8 for it.
Older audience are able to see the fraud for what it is.

But these sites are not in Denmark, they are offshore, but in danish.

None of the danish ads on this site, is located in Denmark, they are all scam, and fraud sites.
And GR is affiliate through Crave, I don't know about American ethics or laws regarding ads... But Crave can't be good for business regarding image.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133