Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning Demo

Some of you may think its meh or crap, but I love it. I think it'll be a fantastic traditional RPG.

I love the art/graphical style, and the open world that I can't wait to explore.

If it's really good, then there's nothing to be afraid of.

Though it's always hard to judge on a demo.

In case anyone cares, here are some things the game takes from Fae mythology and weaves it into its plot. This is not a synopsis of the games plot, though, just a few things about Fae mythology in general.
In most modern video-games, the Fae are not portrayed correctly. Faeries(or Fae) are more than just little naked women flitting about on wings. They come in a massive amount of varieties. Here are some varieties.
Boggins: Wood Fey, resembling small goblins, usually with glowing eyes. They can switch from plant, to goblin, at a moments notice. They have leaves and other stuff growing out of them, and usually wear masks to hide their face.
Brownies: Ugly, evil little things. They resemble brown-colored goblins, as their name suggests. They delight in the suffering of mortal men, but take a particular delight in the suffering of women.
Trolls: I don't need to explain this, but despite what you may have heard, Trolls ARE a type of Fae.
Goblins: Goblins are also Fae. Good stuff.
Red Caps: <3 these guys. They murder people and mutilate the body, soaking their hats in the blood of their murdered foes. The more defenseless the prey, the better. They also drip blood onto their mushrooms, and wear the skin of their prey as masks sometimes.

Without going into the boring details, some of you may find one facet of Fae culture interesting.
They live their lives according to a story. Fate ties them to a particular role in society, and they climb only higher when they elevate their role within The Great Narrative. To them, life is a gigantic stage play. Oh, and they don't understand Death. They can never die for that reason.
Interestingly, the game makes use of this "Great Narrative" as a gameplay mechanic. You gather Fate energy as you defeat enemies, and then when you engage a Fae, you can enter Reckoning Mode. This enables you to weave the strands of Fate like none before you, and Unravel the Fae, thus killing them permanently by removing them from Fate, and ending their "role" in the Narrative that they live their life by. Think of it like ripping a characters name out of a book, leaving a blank space.

Good stuff.

1516.jpg

I love this game and cant wait to play it. But i guarantee Longo will rip it to shreds :). I know i could rip it to shreds if i wanted to. But it just seems fun to me, i loved it, feb 07 cant come soon enough.

I don't rip apart EVERY game...

Mostly just games where everyone else overlooks/ignores the flaws. A lot of my favorite games are flawed, after all.

Anyway, I have it downloaded. I'll play some in a bit.

Well, I played for about twenty minutes. It was alright, decent enough, but honestly really didn't feel like anything special. It felt like Fable, with about the same level of polish Fable 1 had in 2003.

Basically, it's decent enough, but it's really lacking something special about it. Just an overall lack of oomph. I'm sure it would be enjoyable, but unless there's an amazing story, which I really didn't feel from the intro, it'll be easily missed.

My biggest complaint is the controls/UI. Obviously not made for PC's.

Oh, and I stopped playing because the game glitched and froze me, and I didn't want to do the first 10 minutes over again. But I got a decent feel from the combat.

Basically, I'll wait until it's cheap enough that I can buy it for one bill. I might give it a second chance, but... eh.

If they buffed up the stat differences between stuff and went action/isometric with a team, it probably would've been better.

Longo_2_guns said:
Well, I played for about twenty minutes. It was alright, decent enough, but honestly really didn't feel like anything special. It felt like Fable, with about the same level of polish Fable 1 had in 2003.

Basically, it's decent enough, but it's really lacking something special about it. Just an overall lack of oomph. I'm sure it would be enjoyable, but unless there's an amazing story, which I really didn't feel from the intro, it'll be easily missed.

My biggest complaint is the controls/UI. Obviously not made for PC's.

Oh, and I stopped playing because the game glitched and froze me, and I didn't want to do the first 10 minutes over again. But I got a decent feel from the combat.

Basically, I'll wait until it's cheap enough that I can buy it for one bill. I might give it a second chance, but... eh.

If they buffed up the stat differences between stuff and went action/isometric with a team, it probably would've been better.

If you got to a certain point you dont have to do the start stuff over again. You just start the 45 minute part over and over. It froze on me round 1 too. Thought the same thing but eventually tried again and saw you dont have to redo the start.

What sells me on this game is loot and fun (albeit simple) combat. Also there are a ton of places that cannot be entered in the demo that im antsy to get into with the full copy. Im on a pretty big money saving spree right now though, getting lots of money in the bank and savings, so im 50/50 right now with lots of other good games coming out. Unfortunately.

The combat isn't as simple as you make it out to be, maybe at first, but unlock a few combos and it gets more complex, especially if you're a mage. Juggling scepter attacks, staff attacks and various spells together, such as the marks, to set off chain reactions.

just droppin by to say i hummed and haaaaa'd? a lot about this game. at first i was for sure, then i was mehhh.. i grabbed it anyway.

don't regret it for a second. lots of fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod